WHERE R MY LATINOS?? How to say no to mom!

Options
So if you are here you are either Hispanic and have Hispanic parents or know someone with a Hispanic mom who just can't take no for an answer and makes extremely large quantities of food but YET calls you Gorda lol I have already told her to back off but it's hard sometimes. Does anyone deal with the the same issue? Friend me, let's suffer together lol

Replies

• ABabilonia
    ABabilonia Posts: 622 Member
    Options
    Yeah, I feel you. Hispanic gatherings are plagued by food. I went to a Hispanic event the other day that technically offered a "light breakfast", which had eggs, meat, tortillas, guacamole, and horchata, so funny. Good luck in your journey...
  • andreatm777
    andreatm777 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Same. My mom will comment on my weight and then cook fried pork chops and the works.
  • pattyreyes85
    pattyreyes85 Posts: 9 Member
    edited March 2017
    Options
    Omg yes!! Large quantities no matter what, and if you refuse to eat then "estas enamorada o enferma"
  • pattyreyes85
    Options
    Same. My mom will comment on my weight and then cook fried pork chops and the works.

Why do they do this to us? "Mija estas engordando" then cook tons of fattening food and won't accept no for an answer.
  • malioumba
    malioumba Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    Yes, absolutely.
    She cooks very fattening food and judges if I don't eat, but at the same time wants my over-weight sister to lose weight, but she is no help whatsoever. Constantly cooks fried cheese tortilla, eggs with beans and heavy cream, and bifsteak, feta and rice all the time. It doesn't end.

It's frustrating. It really is.
  • LaMujerMasBonitaDelMundo
    LaMujerMasBonitaDelMundo Posts: 3,634 Member
    Options
    My mom is the same but hates it when I don't eat. Me gustaria decirla ''callate tu boca de p***a madre!'' jejeje. >:) Te quiero mi mami. o:)
  • mickeyyy20
    mickeyyy20 Posts: 20 Member
    edited March 2017
    Options
    @ABabilonia Omg yes, it's so hard like I feel I can't go to these things anymore because if I don't accept I'm basically labeled as rude. Thanks you too!
  • mickeyyy20
    Options
    @andreatm777 everyday my mother comments on my weight is very annoying :neutral:
  • mickeyyy20
    Options
    @pattyreyes85 I don't know why they do this. It's very confusing and it certainly doesn't help at all :( it sucks even more because meal prepping js almost impossible because I can't just cook for myself I have to do it for the whole family.
  • mickeyyy20
    Options
    @malioumba I feel your pain. My whole family picks on eachother over our weight. It's so not helpful.
  • pattyreyes85
    Options
    @mickeyyy20 Yeah having to meal prep for everyone makes it very hard! So far I'm not stuck doing that because my husband doesn't want to be healthier
  • Cassie_DE
    Cassie_DE Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    Not Hispanic, but Italian "We have the wedding in June, we have to look good! Why don't you want to eat my frittata drowned in olive oil?! Olive oil is healthy!" MOM NO. STOP.
  • mickeyyy20
    Options
    @Cassie_DE omg Italian food is my favorite! It's so hard to resist it. Lol mom thinks the same thing about olive oil haha
  • quirozj1976
    quirozj1976 Posts: 206 Member
    Options
    It's hard to say no to mom, but sometimes you must.
  • jmc3_1987
    jmc3_1987 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Lol! Not so much my mom but with my grandma! It almost hurts her feeling if I don't eat every time she makes something. She asks if I'm hungry and even when I say no she goes and makes something!
  • malioumba
    edited March 2017
    Options
    My mom is the same but hates it when I don't eat. Me gustaria decirla ''callate tu boca de p***a madre!'' jejeje. >:) Te quiero mi mami. o:)

How is it that you're able to talk to your mother like that, even if just in your head?
    I've never understood the 'trash and love' talk. :p
  • malioumba
    edited March 2017
    Options
    jmc3_1987 wrote: »
    Lol! Not so much my mom but with my grandma! It almost hurts her feeling if I don't eat every time she makes something. She asks if I'm hungry and even when I say no she goes and makes something!

She probably just feels useful this way, she likely wants to provide something (anything) for you, and this is the only way she can express her love. But you're right in that it makes things very complicated. Some people (white people?) are okay with just saying, "No, I need to focus on my goals. No thanks" and are happy with that, but some other people can't be happy without first considering the other person (i.e, in this case, your lovely grandma).

• ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,523 Member
    Options
    Maybe do what I do. Help everyone else get a plate and let them eat first and you go clean up (pots, pans, etc.) while everyone is down and eating and let them know you'll eat in a bit. In other words, let some of the food get chowed down so you don't have to eat too much.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png