Fellow Martial Artists, review of Cardio Kickboxing?

Options
NerdyWord33
NerdyWord33 Posts: 52 Member
edited March 2017 in Fitness and Exercise
I've always turned my nose up at it after seeing a Jillian Michaels DVD.
I'm in a place were training isn't an option. (No childcare and no location for our school.)
However, my gym offers cardio kickboxing for free with my membership.
Is the workout going to be even remotely similar? Obviously zero contact,that goes without saying.
Just looking for some enjoyable cardio to get back into shape.
I could just give it a trial run,but I wanted some input.
Training styles: JKD, Kenpo, Jujitsu

Replies

• ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,584 Member
    Options
    It's cardio. Since there's no contact, there's no improvement of strikes or kicks with the exception of speed possibly. It can definitely help with cardio, especially if the instructor include intervals. Having taught is several times, it can get pretty boring to a point because you can only kick and punch so many ways and are limited in combinations. But the workout is as hard as you make it.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • NerdyWord33
    Options
    ninerbuff wrote: »
    It's cardio. Since there's no contact, there's no improvement of strikes or kicks with the exception of speed possibly. It can definitely help with cardio, especially if the instructor include intervals. Having taught is several times, it can get pretty boring to a point because you can only kick and punch so many ways and are limited in combinations. But the workout is as hard as you make it.

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

So no targets or anything? Just the air?
    I only ask because I know some women wear gloves. I didn't know if I should wear some hand wraps or something.
    I guess I can give it a go. Boredom is what I'm afraid of. Haha
    Is there any attention to form? That's probably going to be the deal breaker for me. It's such a pet peeve of mine. The video is just...Burned into my brain, annoying me forever.
  • ninerbuff
    Options
    ninerbuff wrote: »

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

So no targets or anything? Just the air?
    I only ask because I know some women wear gloves. I didn't know if I should wear some hand wraps or something.
    I guess I can give it a go. Boredom is what I'm afraid of. Haha
    Is there any attention to form? That's probably going to be the deal breaker for me. It's such a pet peeve of mine. The video is just...Burned into my brain, annoying me forever.
    I'm maritial arts background based, so I taught correct form in my classes. But I've been to many cardio kickboxing classes that the instructor HAD NO EXPERIENCE in martial arts and their form in kicks and even punches were horrible. But I didn't follow them, I knew how to kick and punch correctly.
    Some wear gloves for the weight resistance.
    IMO, if you can find a trainer who knows how to work with pads (I do this a lot with my clients who want to kickbox) you're much better off. At least there's contact.

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png
  • NerdyWord33
    Options
    @ninerbuff Thanks​ for your feedback. My fiance taught for 15+ years, but, after we had our daughter, we don't have a balance for teaching classes,work,and childcare.
    Based on your explanation, I will probably stick to making him hold the mitts for me after dinner. Haha
  • ladyannique2017
    ladyannique2017 Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    I agree with ninerbuff on how there are instructors who have no clue about proper form for punches and kicks. I tried a couple cardio kickboxing classes because I thought it might up my speed and agility and was shocked at how they would just fling their fists and feet about snapping their elbow or knee joints and no core or hip involvement. Half the time, they're not cantered and off balance. Too, tons of people made fists with their thumbs in! That'll guarantee a broken thumb if actually used in a punch. It was a recipe for injury and I felt like I was surrounded by idiots. Then I got worried my own form would get sloppy because of the temptation to keep up or fit in. So I quit.
  • ladyannique2017
    ladyannique2017 Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    Erg hate autocorrect. Cantered should be centered.
  • kwtilbury
    kwtilbury Posts: 1,234 Member
    Options
    The class I go to is more about cardio/intensity than martial arts. We do some bag work, but don't really spend much time on form. If you come from a martial arts background, it might be a little frustrating.
  • cbl40
    cbl40 Posts: 281 Member
    Options
    I teach Les Mills BodyCombat which is a mixed martial arts inspired high intensity workout. You will see kickboxing, karate, tae kwon do, capoeira (sp?), muay thai, kung fu, jujitsu.....It is non contact but, depending on the instructor, you will get a lot of attention to form. I have been teaching for over 7 years and have spent a lot of time working on my form and attention to detail. If you are interesting, check out the Les Mills website to find a class near you. It's so much fun and you always leave dripping with sweat!
  • ninerbuff
    Options
    cbl40 wrote: »
    I teach Les Mills BodyCombat which is a mixed martial arts inspired high intensity workout. You will see kickboxing, karate, tae kwon do, capoeira (sp?), muay thai, kung fu, jujitsu.....It is non contact but, depending on the instructor, you will get a lot of attention to form. I have been teaching for over 7 years and have spent a lot of time working on my form and attention to detail. If you are interesting, check out the Les Mills website to find a class near you. It's so much fun and you always leave dripping with sweat!
    I've done Les Mills a couple times and it's much better than others I've attended.

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

• jim9097
    jim9097 Posts: 341 Member
    Options
    Quite frankly, there is nothing you can do to replace striking. When I travel I tend to take my Jump Rope, and a set of gloves. I also work a lot on perfecting movements in my katas. While it is not ideal; I can accomplish quite a bit just by practicing and thinking of bunkia for the kata movements.
  • JeepHair77
    JeepHair77 Posts: 1,291 Member
    Options
    The class I take involves primarily heavy bag work, and the instructor is definitely focused on form. The classes are small, and he spends a lot of time watching and correcting everyone individually. I started the class expecting it to be very cardio-centric, and it is, but truly, I've put on some no-joke muscle. More than I ever put on when I was lifting.

Every time I think of switching gyms, I remember what other "cardio kickboxing" classes are like, and I decide to stay put. If my instructor ever leaves, I'll probably follow him. I seem to have gotten pretty lucky.
  • JeepHair77
    JeepHair77 Posts: 1,291 Member
    Options
    I should clarify - I've got zero martial arts background. I just accidentally stumbled upon a really good kickboxing class and I love the hell out of it.