Has anyone lost weight using the wii fit?

Options
I was wondering if using the Wii fit alongside my healthy eating would help in weight loss? Can Wii fit help you lose weight?

Replies

• tinkerbellang83
    tinkerbellang83 Posts: 9,140 Member
    Options
    If you're burning calories which increases your Calories Out then yes it would help weight loss as long as you err on the side of caution with calorie burns (if using without some sort of heart rate monitor). My mum used it for a while when the weather was too rubbish to go out in.
  • beerfoamy
    beerfoamy Posts: 1,521 Member
    Options
    I used it a few years back. Really enjoyed it and yes it did help with losing weight as it worked up a sweat on a few of the activities. Also I noticed a big improvement in my balance. Loved the boxing and segway and the obstacle run where your Mii gets batted off the trail if you mis-time something! :)
  • AngeleyesJo
    AngeleyesJo Posts: 191 Member
    Options
    Would I benefit from it as much as a workout?
  • amyr271
    amyr271 Posts: 343 Member
    Options

Depends on the workout and what you mean by 'benefit'?
  • tinkerbellang83
    tinkerbellang83 Posts: 9,140 Member
    Options
    Depends on what sort of workouts you're talking about and what you want to achieve from them. I'm guessing it would be as good as any beginner level workouts, in that it will increase your heart rate and improve your balance.

If you can access youtube from your Wii, if you want something more intense there are loads of free workout videos (HASFIT channel have a bunch of them for all fitness levels and there are many others around)
  • size102b
    size102b Posts: 1,370 Member
    Options
    Weightloss is 80% diet 20% exercise you have to do lots exercise to lose weight without a low calorie diet

Any exercise is good for your body and can give you some extra calories but be warey of how much a device tells you you burn only eat half estimated calories back if your trying to lose weight that way

Losing weight you'll need to find how many calories you burn in a day cut back to lose a healthy amount a week
  • AngeleyesJo
    AngeleyesJo Posts: 191 Member
    Options
    Just enough to help me lose a few pounds that's what I mean, I'm in my last ten pounds zone and had it suggested to increase exercise to encourage the loss of the last few pounds.
  • fbchick51
    fbchick51 Posts: 240 Member
    Options

To me, most of the aerobic workouts on the disk tend to fall on the walking/low impact aerobics side of the calorie burn. The strength training is mostly body weight type exercises. The yoga is a bit to choppy for my taste. The balance games are a lot of fun, but not much of a calorie burn.

After a month, I went out and bought a "Zumba" game for my wii and love it. It's tough, but the calorie burns are more on par with a high impact aerobic workout.
  • PaulaWallaDingDong
    PaulaWallaDingDong Posts: 4,641 Member
    edited March 2017
    Options
    It's helping me a great deal (Wii Fit Plus) mainly because I can't tolerate this current New England weather with my asthma, and my favorite exercises are walking and jogging. I did find that the step aerobics especially were not challenging in the least, so I incorporated use of dumbells into the workout. I also found a step riser for the balance board. https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00509TLP6/ref=ya_aw_od_pi?ie=UTF8&psc=1 (I didn't pay that much for it, so don't forget to price shop) No joke, I'm <150 lbs and working up a real, drippy, hair-and-clothes-soaking sweat using a video game with enhancements for exercise.

However, I know that if I weren't tracking calories, it wouldn't get me far. Exercise on its own never has.
  • PokeyBug
    PokeyBug Posts: 482 Member
    Options
    I bought one, but (for me), it was kind of a rip-off. I didn't enjoy the exercises, so I never used it. I prefer my treadmill for cardio and callanetics for resistance. I bought it, though, because I know many people who loved it and found it to be effective for them. So, I'd say it depends on the user.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,576 Member
    Options

Yes, because it is a workout. There are more intense workouts. But there are less intense workouts too.
  • BlueSkyShoal
    BlueSkyShoal Posts: 325 Member
    Options
    Oh man, let me tell you about my favorite computer exercise game:

Yourself Fitness (name for the PS2, X-Box or PC)
    My Fitness Coach (name for the Wii / WiiU version)

They're the same game, although My Fitness Coach has some slight upgrades from Yourself Fitness.

Anyway! The game doesn't use the Wiimote or the Wii balance board. It's a straight forward "watch the lady on the screen and do what she does" program. Like an exercise video. But unlike an exercise video, the game will measure your fitness at the start, tailor the exercises to your level of fitness, and gradually increase in difficulty. You can also choose whether you want a focus on strength exercises, cardio, or yoga (flexibility).

IMO Yourself Fitness/My Fitness Coach gives a more 'serious' level of exercise compared to most fitness games. More fitness, less game. If you have weights, a balance ball, heart monitor, or a step-board, you can incorporate those into the workout.

Since the games are pretty old (I picked up the PC version in 2005) they're also really cheap secondhand on Amazon or eBay.

The only downside is that the music sucks. I usually turn it off and play my own music instead.
  • kenyonhaff
    kenyonhaff Posts: 1,377 Member
    Options
    Wii Fit is OK... it depends on your current fitness level, your goals and what you do. There are some decent balance games and some aerobic games. I would recommended it for people getting started with working out or as a "rainy day" fitness program.

I really enjoy the Just Dance snd Zumba Wii programs....worth checking out.
  • RachelElser
    RachelElser Posts: 1,049 Member
    Options
    I just started using my Wii Fit- got it at a garage sale for $5! board included!- I like it so far.
  • unigirl143
    unigirl143 Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    I started out my journey with wii fit and have since added zumba on my wii and love it!