WEIGHT LOSS HELP PLEASE HELP :(

Options
Okay i tried to post one before didn't know if it worked or not.

Okay so basically i have 36 lbs to lose, but i want to lose and need to lose around 8/9 as soon as i can for an operation i'm having.

I've lost 7 already in last months but cutting down my calorie intake and exercising over 60 minutes everyday, i have lost alot weight before but this time round it just isn't coming off, and is really getting me down as i'm only twenty.

If anyone who hasn't had alot to lose has an tips that would be really apperciated.

thanks eve xxx

Replies

• janiecorona
    janiecorona Posts: 248
    Options
    Change up your exercise routine. If you've been doing the same routine, your body has gotten used to it. Also change the foods you eat, you may be under the calorie intake but check the fat in the food, sodium and sugars.
  • cdthom
    cdthom Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    drink tones of water it really helps
  • AHealthierRhonda
    AHealthierRhonda Posts: 881 Member
    Options
    It took me 6 months to lose 17 lbs, and that was with a 2 month period of next to no exercise. I want to lose a total of 32 lbs. I plateaued at 10 lbs down and now again at 17 lbs down. The plateau lasted about 3 weeks for me then things started to move again. Hoping I am almost through with this stall!!!
    Best of luck in your journey! Good luck with your surgery as well!!
  • maiituu
    maiituu Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    You are going to get a lot of different responses since each individual is different. I actually went through the same thing but after 2 months the weight started to come off. Just hang in there, one main thing to pay attention to or rather not pay attention is the numbers, keep track of your waist size, neck, you might be losing some of that, and always weight yourself at the same time. Send me an invite if you need motivation =)
  • bugnbeansmom
    bugnbeansmom Posts: 292 Member
    Options
    You are gonig to be told to make sure you are eating back your workout cals. Good advice. Butyou also need to remember that all cals are not created equal. If we could see your food diary it would help. The advice to change up your type of workout is also good advice. It really helped me get a kick start to eat 6 small "meals" a day. Breakfast, snack, lunch, snack, dinner, snack. 2-3 hours a part. not always easy but helped me not pig out on one meal and overload myself.
  • SheilaSisco
    SheilaSisco Posts: 722 Member
    Options
    You need to be netting at least 1200 good healthy calories a day... which means eating you exercise cals back at least until your net reads 1200. If you aren't eating enough, it is just as bad as eating too much and can and will stall out your loss or cause you to gain. Also, make sure you're watching sodium and sugar levels in what you eat... they'll get you too...
  • jillypbeans
    Options
    Hi!

I was having the same issue. Then I read the book Eat To Live by Dr. Joel Furhman. It was kind of difficult at first, but I realized that it was the actual foods I was choosing to eat that was keeping the weight on.

Some thing to watch out for...

~Check your salt intake. Is it high? (More than 500 mg a day?) if so, you may be retaining water. Keep your sodium count low.

~Check meat, cheese, oil, sugar and dairy intake. More calories/oz than any other food you can possibly consume If you cut out oils, meats and cheese, you may be able to dramatically reduce the amount of calories you are taking in per day.

Weight loss is 70% diet, 30% exercise. Focus on changing your diet to include more high fiber, live foods (leafy green, fruits, nuts and seeds) and you will see some pretty remarkable results.

I lost 15 lbs in 1 month with very little exercise changing my diet alone. I have much more energy now to exercise. The cool thing is that you won't necessarily need to exercise for 60 minutes like you're doing now if focus on not only the quantity of food you are eating but the nutritious QUALITY of the food you eat.

If you need a buddy, send me a message! And read the book, it makes sense.
  • scriehl
    scriehl Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    Good job on that 7 pounds! It's sometimes hard to pinpoint why the pounds aren't dropping when your exercising nearly every day and you've cut you calorie intake and you are so young:smile: . Other things that can affect weight loss in a negative way are stress, lack of sleep, what you are or aren't eating and maybe lack of intensity in your workouts. If one of these things describes you try changing things up, get more sleep or work on relieving stress in a positive way. Hang in there! Don't know if this helped at all but I wish you luck! :smile:
  • eveopower
    eveopower Posts: 9
    Options
    thanks guys so far.

Yeah well basically i had a bad car accident when i was 16, i was my perfect weight then and have put on over fifty lbs. I lost 13 lbs from january to may by only dieting but then it stopped coming off as thought this could only be due to lack of exercise i did infact last time i did i was 16, so i have been doing 30 minutes and just increased to 60.

I've lost quite alot of inches around waist and legs, and i can pretty much measure everyday and notice slight change.

regards to eating, maybe be more strict on what i eat but my main issue is breakfast anyone got any tips for a healthy but filling breakfast that isn't packed full of salt and sugar ?

or is grapefruit and eggs good ?

thanks eve xxo
  • teachermegan
    teachermegan Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    Pair complex carb with protein. It sounds that's what you're doing.

I do egg beaters w/ toast

or ff cottage cheese w/ fruit or

a protein shake
  • maiituu
    maiituu Posts: 81 Member
    Options

I've lost quite a lot of inches around waist and legs, and i can pretty much measure everyday and notice slight change.

thanks eve xxo

This is exactly what I thought, thanks for adding me btw, and i know why it seems that you are not losing weight, as a matter of fact you are not doing anything wrong, by losing inches on your waist and legs you are also gaining muscle (I saw your exercise routines you do burn more calories than me, that's impresive), which is why it seems like you are not losing lbs, so don't get discourage you are doing amazing, all you need is patience and you will start seeing those numbers go down, remember a good diet is not about starving, but eating right, don't deprive yourself from anything (sugars/some fat) since our body needs a bit of it. Keep it up =)
  • joejccva71
    joejccva71 Posts: 2,985 Member
    Options
    This is why my guide threads should be stickied. :)

OP-

You need to find out what you burn (calorie wise) in a 24 hour period. If you know your BMR then it depends on how active you are throughout your ENTIRE day, not just at the gym.

When you find out what your maintenance is, then you eat a 20-30% deficit to start with. If your maintenance is over 3000 calories then subtract 500-1000 and go that route.

You lose 1lb per week for 500 cal deficit, and 2lbs per week for 1000 cal deficit under your maintenance.

Couple things to remember:

1. Meal timing is completely irrelevant - You dont have to eat 5-6 meals a day, nor do you need to eat every 2-3 hours.
    2. Make sure you hit your macros. For more on macros, see the links in my sig.
    3. You should not be eating low fat. Eat between .35g to .75g of dietary fat per lb of your bodyweight.
    4. You can eat late at night and still lose weight just as fast if not faster than eating a breakfast.

I've helps dozens of people already on this site. If you want more in depth instruction, message me.
  • jillypbeans
    Options
    Breakfast suggestions...

I love fruit smoothies with soy milk OR coconut water. I cut out Milk because I found that the Lactose (the natural sugar found in Milk) was making me very hungry after only a few hours. Add some ground Flax Seeds for Omega 3 fats. I use the Magic Bullet to make them. Here are some fun breakfast combos:

Frozen Mango, Strawberry, Blueberry and Soy Milk (or Coconut Water)
    Strawberry, Blueberry, Banana, Ice & Soy Milk (or Coconut Water)
    Strawberry, Banana, Raspberry & Soy Milk (or Coconut Water)
    Blueberry, Raspberry, Blackberry & Soy Milk (Coconut Water)
    Hershey's Cocoa Powder, one very ripe Banana, a handful of Strawberries & Soy Milk.

Delish!

An 8oz smoothie without milk or added sugar should net out to around 300 calories. Plus you get all the antioxidants and nutrients from the fruit!

Hope this helps! :)

xo
    jill
  • eveopower
    Options
    I might try this one : Blueberry, Raspberry, Blackberry & Soy Milk (Coconut Water)

trying to stay away from bananas they make me feel tad ill, but lucky i love both coconut water and soy !

thanks my lovely !

xo
  • H_Factor
    H_Factor Posts: 1,722 Member
    Options
    I've read a LOT of stuff in the last several months on both nutrition and exercise that I have incorporated into my lifestyle, and I am highlighting a few things here that have worked for me:

1. drink water. there are a LOT of benefits to drinking water, but the most important one is that drinking enough water frees up your liver to metabolize food and burn fat (rather than help the kidneys do their function). drink 1 liter for every 50 pounds of bodyweight each day. I see better results, and feel better, when I drink sufficient water.

2. eat foods that take longer to digest...i.e., have a low glycemic index number. longer to digest = less hunger between meals/snacks. the glycemic index, unfortunately, is not used often enough. some folks believe its only use is for those with diabetes...but it really helps folks who want to control their hunger throughout the day.

3. eliminate or reduce grains...and this includes whole wheat, cereals, etc. sprouted break (i.e., ezekial) is the only exception.

4. dietary fat is good for you and will help you burn body fat. only oils you should use are coconut oil and EVOO. you can use butter, but pass on margarine and other butter substitutes (the body doesn't really know what to do with these substances).

5. you asked about breakfast. I rotate between eating 3 eggs one morning and natural peanut butter on celery the other morning. both of these meals have the necessary protein/fat mix to keep you satisfied for a while. you can add a grapefruit with either meal if you like.

6. you did not indicate what type of exercise you are doing. I have read that doing slow, boring cardio will NOT burn fat. it will burn sugar. If you want to burn fat both during the workout and for 1-2 days after the workout, do high intensity interval training (HIIT). HIIT can take various forms, but it generally involves a period of high intensity exercise followed by a longer period of moderate exercise, and then repeat the interval. You can get an effective HIIT work-out in 15-30 minutes. I do 3 types of HIIT...(a) jog for a minute, sprint for 10-15 seconds, repeat as often as you can for up to 20 intervals; (b) sprint for 10-15 seconds, walk back to starting point, repeat; (c) sprint for 10-20 seconds, do a multi-joint bodyweight exercise, rest 20-30 seconds, repeat with a different bodyweight exercise (I've done various youtube searches to learn a variety of bodyweight exercises and I usually do 10-12 intervals of this). Do not do high intensity intervals on consecutive days...and sometimes you'll need an extra day of rest as well. Take it. Make sure you warm up before sprinting...particularly your hamstrings, calves and hips. A good bit of my butt disappeared, and my body is tighening up, since I started doing HIIT 2 months ago.

7. resistance training is also good. resistance training includes weights, machines, or bodyweight exercises. I have a resistance training circuit that I do which includes 1 set of 15-20 exercises with minimal rest between the exercises. adding muscle fiber will help you burn more calories while resting.
  • eveopower
    Options
    Thanks for That hmalin1 !!!!!

very helpful.

I drink alot of water always have but never enough, so going buy a large sports bottle and fill that up and maybe i will keep more on top of it.

Yes i'm going stop eating cereal i never usually eat it, so maybe that could be one of my small problems plus i find it boring prefer eggs or something a bit more ecotic. Yes i will read up more about foods that keep you feeling fuller, would say that is my biggest problem especially at night time.

Yes i don't eat butter, infact i eat little dairy so that isn't a problem but maybe i will pick up some coconut oil.

I do alot of exercising now, since 26/06/2011 i've been cycling for 30-60 minutes out of 5/7 days a week, i also do weights and sit-ups and pilates if i have the time too. This is a big change from no exerising plus i take my cycling very seriously, i bike in the countryside so alot of steeps hills and fields, so leaves me sweaty and red afterwards.

Thanks for the help xxxx