Exercises while injured?

Ok..i had rotator cuff surgery. I'm 4 wks post-op.. my issue is.. exercising. What exercises CAN i do without causing more pain or injury? Should I just work on lower body? I'm also trying my best to eat 'clean' and careful to watch my portions, so this app will definitely assist with that. My calorie intake is 1430. Most days I'm

Replies

• Rookiesuze
    Rookiesuze Posts: 3 Member
    Just take it easy. You can still go walking, and do lower body things. Maybe even the exercise bike?

The most important thing is healing so that you can get back to exercise sooner.
  • wldcat007
    wldcat007 Posts: 4 Member
    <3
  • tinkerbellang83
    tinkerbellang83 Posts: 9,102 Member
    Ask your doctor.
  • StealthHealth
    StealthHealth Posts: 2,417 Member
    edited March 2017
    I think that it is generally accepted (I@m sure people will correct me if I'm wrong) to eat at or close to maintenance when recovering from surgery, although I'm not sure how long that should last for, with common sense dictating that the uplift in cals tapers off as you recover. I would also say that it would be prudent to ensure protein intake was slightly higher than normal (to aid recovery).

As far as exercise goes I would have thought that your physician/surgeon/doctor would have recommended moves that should be avoided during recovery? If not, I would go back to them and ask, specifically mentioning re-hab work that may be of benefit.

Failing that I would stick to cardio and lower body strength work only.
  • wldcat007
    wldcat007 Posts: 4 Member
    Thanks so much!
  • AllanMisner
    AllanMisner Posts: 4,140 Member
    You should work to ensure you heal, first and foremost. Beyond the work you're doing with you PT, I'd use this time to focus on other fitness modalities (cardio, mobility, balance). Once you're cleared by your doctor, ease yourself back into things.

Allan Misner
    NASM Certified Personal Trainer
    Host of the 40+ Fitness Podcast
  • Fallfrenzy
    Fallfrenzy Posts: 118 Member
    I agree that you should consult with your doctor/physical therapist about what exercises are acceptable at this stage of recovery/healing. I would think that walking and the stationary bike from the cardio perspective should be okay.