Omada Health?

Options
Has anyone else used the Omada Health program for weight loss? My work pays for it so I'm giving it a shot. Just wonder if anyone else found it useful.

Replies

• Alyssa_Is_LosingIt
    Alyssa_Is_LosingIt Posts: 4,696 Member
    Options
    I've never heard of it. What does the program entail?
  • KatieBaack
    KatieBaack Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    It used to be called prevent? It's essentially a 16 week course that has you reading a "lesson" about nutrition & fitness in order to lose weight & reduce the risk of some diseases (type 2 diabetes for example). It's all online and each course has a group that you're supposed to interact with through the omada site. My health insurance is paying for it so I figured I'd give it a shot.
  • KatieBaack
    Options
    This is the link to it: https://www.omadahealth.com/
  • Alyssa_Is_LosingIt
    Alyssa_Is_LosingIt Posts: 4,696 Member
    Options
    KatieBaack wrote: »
    It used to be called prevent? It's essentially a 16 week course that has you reading a "lesson" about nutrition & fitness in order to lose weight & reduce the risk of some diseases (type 2 diabetes for example). It's all online and each course has a group that you're supposed to interact with through the omada site. My health insurance is paying for it so I figured I'd give it a shot.

It seems like it has potential to be something pretty good - similar to paying to see a dietitian or something. And if your work is paying for it, why not?

Though I don't know how I'd feel about taking pictures of everything I eat to send it to my "coach", haha. I like to fit fun foods like ice cream and beer into my daily calories, and I wouldn't want someone wagging their finger at me to tell me that those are "bad" without taking into consideration the grilled chicken on a bed of baby spinach that I ate for lunch.

It's possible, however, that they wouldn't do that. Most respectable dietitians are supportive of a moderate approach to health and weight loss.

There's no harm in giving a shot, though. I'd be interested in updates to see how it works out.
  • KatieBaack
    Options
    It definitely seems interesting. I'm not sure if I'm on board with the sending photos of the food, but we'll see. I'll definitely update as I go through the program. It starts this weekend!
  • August_1958
    August_1958 Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    Hi Katie.. I was introduced to Omada Health in August (2016) and joined free of charge like you mention above. It has been a great program! You don't send pictures of your food?? I have never been asked to do that. But the lessons are great. They have skills for "extra points" that are really beneficial to weight loss. I have lost 25 pounds and still use MFP to get my calorie count for the day. They work together nicely. It doesn't sound like a lot of weight to lose since August (actually it was September before I was 100% on board), but it has been consistent and even with eating some unhealthy foods during the holidays, I haven't gained any at all.
    If you have any questions on it, let me know.
    By the way, they send you (free of charge) a digital scale that updates your weight into the website, exercise resistant bands and a pedometer.
    Good luck! Hope the joint effort of MFP and Omada motivates you!
  • KatieBaack
    Options
    I got the scale! I'm in the first week now and it seems pretty cool. There's a lot of interaction with my group so far and I find that really cool! A few of us have even friended each other on here. I hope they send the resistance bands once we get past the nutrition portion. So far I've gotten the scale and a tape measure - boy those last numbers were not fun to take!
  • Sherrim56
    Sherrim56 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I just started this week. My daughter started two weeks ago. It seems really great, the coach is helpful and supportive. If someone wants to help me, I am all for it. You can take a picture of your food or log it, whichever you want.
  • ginamisa
    ginamisa Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    I just signed up for it thru work as well.....Does Omada work with My Fitness Pal and Fitbit? I've been doing pretty well now for a couple mos with MFP and Fitbit... would be a shame if I have to log at 2 places. :-(
  • KatieBaack
    Options
    It will sync with fitbit for tracking activity (steps at least) but won't sync with MFP. :disappointed: BUT there is an option to upload a photo of your food - I've been taking a screen shot of my meals once they're logged in MFP and just uploading that. Annoying to have to remember, but it could definitely be worse.
  • fbchick51
    fbchick51 Posts: 240 Member
    Options
    I'm on week 4 of the program and actually enjoying it.
    KatieBaack wrote: »

It seems like it has potential to be something pretty good - similar to paying to see a dietitian or something. And if your work is paying for it, why not?

Though I don't know how I'd feel about taking pictures of everything I eat to send it to my "coach", haha. I like to fit fun foods like ice cream and beer into my daily calories, and I wouldn't want someone wagging their finger at me to tell me that those are "bad" without taking into consideration the grilled chicken on a bed of baby spinach that I ate for lunch.

It's possible, however, that they wouldn't do that. Most respectable dietitians are supportive of a moderate approach to health and weight loss.

There's no harm in giving a shot, though. I'd be interested in updates to see how it works out.

The Omada program was originally designed as a diabetes prevention program. While one of the goals of the program is weightloss, it's primary goal is to teach about healthy eating and healthy exercise habits. The photo of you food is optional, but I actually find it useful, since the program doesn't actually use a calorie tracker. Rather then spell out what my "healthy" taco salad looks like, I can just snap a quick pic and be done with it.

So far, my couch only wagged a finger at me when it was obvious my sweet cereal binge was making the scale go back up (the scales automatically update our daily weigh-ins to the site). At that point.. I needed a bit of finger waggling. But she didn't lecture, rather it was a discussion of the issues that was causing my binge and help coming up with creative "healthy" options when life has me too worn out to cook my usual breakfast fares. She doesn't bat a eye at my occasional ice cream treats, especially if most of my day is packed with healthy choices. I like that she's been more focused on finding solutions that work for me, rather then just spitting out the same old generic advice.
  • reenay13
    reenay13 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Hi Katie.. I was introduced to Omada Health in August (2016) and joined free of charge like you mention above. It has been a great program! You don't send pictures of your food?? I have never been asked to do that. But the lessons are great. They have skills for "extra points" that are really beneficial to weight loss. I have lost 25 pounds and still use MFP to get my calorie count for the day. They work together nicely. It doesn't sound like a lot of weight to lose since August (actually it was September before I was 100% on board), but it has been consistent and even with eating some unhealthy foods during the holidays, I haven't gained any at all.
    If you have any questions on it, let me know.
    By the way, they send you (free of charge) a digital scale that updates your weight into the website, exercise resistant bands and a pedometer.
    Good luck! Hope the joint effort of MFP and Omada motivates you!

What do the points do? I can't find anything on the site about what they mean.
    Thanks!

PS I just started week 3 and I'm really enjoying it. I did another DPP at YMCA, and this one is working so much better for me.
  • shrlyjroth
    shrlyjroth Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Just finishing up my 16 weeks. The goal is supposed to be diabetes prevention/being healthier. Weighing in every single day is not a good thing for me and made me more obsessed with the scale and weight and less focused on healthful eating and drinking than I was before. I did not have any lasting weight loss, and now I am struggling with the extra 3+ pounds I gained in anticipation of starting Omada. Ugh. Our group of about 25 people lost over 160 pounds (about 1/5 of the group lost most of that weight), so that tells you it does work for some people. Another note: the free myfitnesspal app is way more advanced than Omada's!
  • jtrain620
    jtrain620 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Does anyone know what happens to the scale after you finish up the 16 weeks? Can you continue to use it as a regular scale? Do you need to return it?
  • MyTee150
    MyTee150 Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    I just started a week ago, I’m trying to figure out how to sync my Omada scale with MFP. Anyone know?
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    shrlyjroth wrote: »
    Just finishing up my 16 weeks. The goal is supposed to be diabetes prevention/being healthier. Weighing in every single day is not a good thing for me and made me more obsessed with the scale and weight and less focused on healthful eating and drinking than I was before. I did not have any lasting weight loss, and now I am struggling with the extra 3+ pounds I gained in anticipation of starting Omada. Ugh. Our group of about 25 people lost over 160 pounds (about 1/5 of the group lost most of that weight), so that tells you it does work for some people. Another note: the free myfitnesspal app is way more advanced than Omada's!
    That tells me that the Pareto principle works!
  • Idontcareyoupick
    Idontcareyoupick Posts: 2,831 Member
    Options
    Hi all, I've finished the beginner program and in the next phase. You keep the scale. None of the omada stuff works with mfp. I think omada is a nice tool in addition to mfp. I don't think I would have lost as much weight with just their general tips. Calorie counting works for me. My coach is nice but my group wasn't very active so don't know if that would have been more helpful. You get to keep what they send you. Tracking in both places can get tedious, but for me, it's mfp first.
  • NH_BMXer
    NH_BMXer Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Can you link the scale to the health app?