4 lbs loss in just a week???

Options
I'm confused. Before I started my diet just one week ago, I usually weighed myself every other week. I've been creeping up to 210 lbs for a while and whilst I did cut back on junk food, I still hit 210 lbs last Tuesday and that's when I decided enough was enough and started a proper calorie controlled diet.

When I first started here the tracker set my calories at 1850 per day, from Tuesday to Friday I stuck to that. Then I found out I need to drop 1000 calories a day to hit my 2 lbs a week target, so changed my tracker on Saturday to 1500. That means Tuesday to Saturday I ate 350 calories too much, give or take from exercise etc. I've also started an exercise/workout routine that's intense for me, so I expected water retention.

But my scales say I'm 4 lbs lighter! I've updated my tracker at only 3 lbs because 4 lbs doesn't seem right.

Is it possible I already had water retention from eating crappy food before 1 week ago? If so, would there be this much change this quickly?

I weighed myself 5 times in a row today at different spots on the floor and it gave me 206 lbs each time. I have good scales, I don't think they were wrong when I weighed myself last Tuesday, but it is possible. Just want to rule everything else out first.

Replies

• BrettWithPKU
    BrettWithPKU Posts: 575 Member
    Options
    The more weight you have to lose, the faster it comes off at the beginning.

I've been losing and gaining for years, and just recently started losing again. I'm down 6 pounds this week, in fact--and I know that won't last.

Losing 4 pounds in the first week feels good--and I'd take that as a sign that you're doing it right--but the main thing is to NOT be discouraged when your losses slow to 1 or 2 pounds a week (because they will).
  • kristinhowell
    kristinhowell Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    Agreed, the first week, maybe more if there's a lot of weight to lose, always drops fast. I don't have much left to lose and I've been maintaining for a long time now, and still had the four pound drop week 1. Week two was less than a pound.

Just make sure you're eating enough to fuel your workouts and all that!

Good luck! Seems like you have a good start.
  • TimothyFish
    TimothyFish Posts: 4,925 Member
    Options
    The first week tends to have a high loss because you have reduced the rate at which you are stuffing food in, so the amount of food in your gut is less. You will regain part of this when you go back to eating normal.
  • Tacklewasher
    Tacklewasher Posts: 7,122 Member
    Options
    @210 lbs, 2 lbs per week may be too aggressive. Unless you are short, you won't have that much to lose.

But yeah, a 4 lb drop is nothing, just don't expect it and I'd aim for a 1 lb average.
  • bikerjoe83
    bikerjoe83 Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    @210 lbs, 2 lbs per week may be too aggressive. Unless you are short, you won't have that much to lose.

But yeah, a 4 lb drop is nothing, just don't expect it and I'd aim for a 1 lb average.

I'm 5ft 10in, I used to be lighter than 168 lbs, so that's a fair target for me. 2 lbs a week is because I want to be 168 lbs by 1st August. I'll need a whole new wardrobe in August ready to get back to work in September. I reckon I can give it a good shot. I know it won't be easy, but I don't like things easy.
  • inertiastrength
    inertiastrength Posts: 2,343 Member
    Options
    You've just depleted some glycogen. If you overate (especially carbs) before this is pretty common. Next few weeks will be a better indicator of your true deficit. Don't make any hasty changes for the next 3-4 weeks
  • bikerjoe83
    Options
    fascha wrote: »
    You've just depleted some glycogen. If you overate (especially carbs) before this is pretty common. Next few weeks will be a better indicator of your true deficit. Don't make any hasty changes for the next 3-4 weeks

What do you mean by hasty changes?
  • inertiastrength
    Options
    bikerjoe83 wrote: »

Don't start eating more calories because you think you're losing too fast (or less when next week is slow) stay consistent and review your data after a month for a good indication of how well this is working for you.
  • yskaldir
    yskaldir Posts: 202 Member
    Options
    I've dropped 4 pounds in a day before just from the body flushing out lots of sodium.

You need to weigh yourself daily (preferably right after you get up and use the bathroom), then after each week, average your weight for that week. Use your weekly averages to gauge progress.
  • bikerjoe83
    Options
    bikerjoe83 wrote: »

Don't start eating more calories because you think you're losing too fast (or less when next week is slow) stay consistent and review your data after a month for a good indication of how well this is working for you.

Oh no I won't do that. I know because I'm already eating 1000 calories a day that I should (in theory) still lose weight. I'll be working out more and more so I know that will have an impact too. Overall, fingers crossed, if I don't meet my personal target at least I won't be 210 lbs!

I've bought in different foods for this week - more protein, more fibre, less carbs, less salt, more filling. I'm not getting too involved in nutritional values, but it's all better food than the crap I've been stuffing into my cake hole.
  • inertiastrength
    Options
    1000 calories a day is masochistic. Why are you eating so low?
  • Tacklewasher
    Tacklewasher Posts: 7,122 Member
    Options

He's trying for a deficit of 1000 cals per day. He's set his intake at 1500. I still think it's too aggressive, but it's not as bad as you think.
  • inertiastrength
    Options

He's trying for a deficit of 1000 cals per day. He's set his intake at 1500. I still think it's too aggressive, but it's not as bad as you think.

i see... I thought he meant he was eating 1000 calories daily. 1500 on an obese male is pretty masochistic too but doable I suppose
  • size102b
    size102b Posts: 1,370 Member
    Options
    I don't feel you always lose more the heavier you are I've been 130 lbs lost 9lbs week 1
    230 lbs lost 4 lbs week 1
    It is to do with how your retaining water and how you were eating before not start weights
  • bikerjoe83
    Options

i see... I thought he meant he was eating 1000 calories daily. 1500 on an obese male is pretty masochistic too but doable I suppose

I'm not obese, not in the UK definition anyway, just overweight, almost obese. I thought I'd struggle on 1500 too but I think I'm doing fine. I'm not eating that much less than before, I'm just eating better foods, WAY less sugar (cake), almost no processed foods. I'm quite enjoying trying new foods.

I think I'd struggle on 1000 a day limit.
  • Theo166
    Theo166 Posts: 2,564 Member
    Options
    Even after dieting for several months, I can still lose 4lbs in just a couple days. When I look back at what I did, I can usually find the cause - salt. If I eat a bag of sunflower seeds over several days, my weight stays flat. Several days later I'll eventually start dumping water and woosh, 4 lbs is gone from the scale.