New here, need to lose 60-70 pounds.

Options
Hello everyone,
I'm looking for friends that are just starting their weight loss journey. I've been struggling with depression for the last 2 years due to my weight and I have decided to make a change. I don't know if I can do this but at least I will try.
Is there anyone out there in similar situation so we can motivate each other?
I'm 30 years old, my current weight is 190 pounds, I'm 5'3" and live in London.

Replies

• shefalianurag
    shefalianurag Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Hey! Hang in there. Focus on your goals and keep imagining the way you want to look when this battle ends. Wow, I should say that to myself every day. You will get there okay. You will.
  • sharonlusk
    sharonlusk Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I've lost that much and you can too! What a difference you are making in your life.

This is what is working for me:

After years of trying one diet after another, being largely unsuccessful and miserable: I began using Fitness Pal faithfully. Inspired by Bill Murray (and current researxhbkn changing habits) I decided on a "baby step" approach. I set my activity level at lightly active and my weekly weight loss goal at a mere HALF A POUND per week. And I added walking! Lots of walking.

Once I started faithfully tracking I learned so much! I could eat a grilled hamburger with baked sweet potato fries for fewer calories than a large frozen yogurt.

For me, deepening my morning spiritual practices was important. Also, reading inspirational stories and books of all kinds.

One of my spiritual practices is meditation and mindfulness. As I applied mIndfulness practices to my eating habits, it became clear that protein and healthy fat (such as an avocado) kept me full and satisfied. Simply carbs made me hungry.

Be fair and kind to yourself and set baby step goals that are easy for you to achieve. It's true. Success breeda success. Read the blog and try the recipes. Find great substitutes. Who knew cauliflower and parsnips could be mashed to taste like potatoes!

I'm not going to wish you luck. YOU don't need luck. YOU've got this.

Congratulations on making a life changing decision.
  • michelleRKdavidson
    michelleRKdavidson Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    I am 4'11" and weigh 195. I am looking to get down to around 120. I know it is going to be a tough journey but you can do it. I have just decided to start my journey and I am just trying to remember to take it one day at a time.
    And try to not stress out about tomorrow just conquer today!
    Take care and don't give up!
    I live in the US but you are welcome to add me as a friend.
  • Shaelynn86
    Shaelynn86 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Dear All, thank you for your replies. Sharon, congratulations on your success and thank you for the helpful tips. I love avocado but I'm worried about calories but perhaps it's worth adding it to my diet if it can keep my hunger away. It's really difficult to diet with all the tempting food around. My fridge is still filled with a lot of junk that I feel guilty to chuck away, so bit by bit I'm eating it up. I'm not active at all, so my goal is 1200 kcal. I've been dieting for a week now but most of the time I'm between 1200 to 1400 kcal, otherwise I'm starving. It helps so much reading successful stories. How do you guys manage to convince yourself to exercise? I have an office job and find it so difficult to do anything after coming home at 6pm. I also need to learn how to make low calorie but satisfying meals. Michelle, best of luck on your journey!