Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

To Thine Ownself Be True

Options
localfitizens
localfitizens Posts: 3 Member
Great topic and one I've had an opinion about for a while. I've been on both ends of the spectrum. Never have been more than 20 pounds technically overweight, but for my frame it was more like 35 pounds over weight. During this period, 11 years ago, I had just entered 6 months of recovery from a 10 year opiate addiction and if it was be overweight or be addicted-my choice was overweight. The thing is, too much of either of these things and it would kill me. I gained weight like a freight train. However, I realized it was about self love on both issues. I learned that even though my opiates were in my rear view mirror, I had a new addiction in the horizon. The pain of realizing I wasn't really any better than the day I walked into a treatment center was a big blow. Howver, the difference, was I learned in treatment how to recognize when I was using "something " to fill the hole in my soul.
It took my weight gain to have empathy for those who overate. And so it went for 20 months making an excuse about the weight gain. I'd say, well then I will just use drugs again. But for some reason after about 2 years into my recovery without drugs, and eating my way through cakes and large burritos.. my father got cancer and died within 8 months. I looked in the mirror and said no more. I hired s tough personal trainer who taught me about nutrition. By then I was 160. I learned from someone who I trusted. It took a total of 2 years to get to the weight and shape I felt good about. After 2 years I started running, and running took my fitness to a new level. I'm now a certified trainer. This is not to say that after 8 years of being fit that I don't face challenges. This past year I went back to my career in advertising which meant my world didn't revolve around exercise. And I gained 10 pounds even with exercise . Luckily my size in clothes didn't change! But I've been reminded again that we are like the trees. We go through seasons and to expect ourselves to be the same tree through 4 seasons, just is not possible. So, my opinion, is this is not about the scale, it's about loving oneself enough to grasp the balance between the scales. The balance of am I really being true to myself. The soul will tell us that unhealthy will always be unhealthy no matter how we roll the dice.

Replies

• zyxst
    zyxst Posts: 9,134 Member
    Options
    Okay.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,526 Member
    Options
    I agree with loving yourself, but just gotta ask, what is the debate?
    I'll fix it Kriss. People should log their weight if they gained. That's being true to yourself. I weigh everyday and log loss/gain/maintain so I can be honest with myself.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • JeromeBarry1
    JeromeBarry1 Posts: 10,182 Member
    edited March 2017
    Options
    You're right, of course. I guess I'll debate the implied point that one should first become addicted to opiates before being true to oneself.

• ladyreva78
    ladyreva78 Posts: 4,080 Member
    Options
    270913946_efa38ec3d8.jpg
  • JONZ64
    JONZ64 Posts: 1,280 Member
    Options
    With 26 years sober and having been fit, fat, healthy and unhealthy I can tell you this. It is about being ok with who you are, which I know sounds like Bumper Sticker therapy, but hear me out. If my goal is to get fit for a person place or thing, meaning, I will be "better and this will make my whole life complete" if I can get this person, get to this place or attain this thing" then it is unhealthy (my opinion folks, don't lose your minds) As long as I am doing it for my own reasons, not trying to fill a hole but fill up my life, and doing it to better myself, then it works.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,576 Member
    Options
    Great topic and one I've had an opinion about for a while. I've been on both ends of the spectrum. Never have been more than 20 pounds technically overweight, but for my frame it was more like 35 pounds over weight. During this period, 11 years ago, I had just entered 6 months of recovery from a 10 year opiate addiction and if it was be overweight or be addicted-my choice was overweight. The thing is, too much of either of these things and it would kill me. I gained weight like a freight train. However, I realized it was about self love on both issues. I learned that even though my opiates were in my rear view mirror, I had a new addiction in the horizon. The pain of realizing I wasn't really any better than the day I walked into a treatment center was a big blow. Howver, the difference, was I learned in treatment how to recognize when I was using "something " to fill the hole in my soul.
    It took my weight gain to have empathy for those who overate. And so it went for 20 months making an excuse about the weight gain. I'd say, well then I will just use drugs again. But for some reason after about 2 years into my recovery without drugs, and eating my way through cakes and large burritos.. my father got cancer and died within 8 months. I looked in the mirror and said no more. I hired s tough personal trainer who taught me about nutrition. By then I was 160. I learned from someone who I trusted. It took a total of 2 years to get to the weight and shape I felt good about. After 2 years I started running, and running took my fitness to a new level. I'm now a certified trainer. This is not to say that after 8 years of being fit that I don't face challenges. This past year I went back to my career in advertising which meant my world didn't revolve around exercise. And I gained 10 pounds even with exercise . Luckily my size in clothes didn't change! But I've been reminded again that we are like the trees. We go through seasons and to expect ourselves to be the same tree through 4 seasons, just is not possible. So, my opinion, is this is not about the scale, it's about loving oneself enough to grasp the balance between the scales. The balance of am I really being true to myself. The soul will tell us that unhealthy will always be unhealthy no matter how we roll the dice.

Do you find yourself having fitness as an addiction? I sometimes wonder about that with some of the people ive seen on here who seem consumed by working out and fitness. Can that become an addiction? Is it an unhealthy addiction or would that be an ok addiction?

Good point. I have wondered this myself.
  • Gallowmere1984
    Gallowmere1984 Posts: 6,626 Member
    Options

Do you find yourself having fitness as an addiction? I sometimes wonder about that with some of the people ive seen on here who seem consumed by working out and fitness. Can that become an addiction? Is it an unhealthy addiction or would that be an ok addiction?

Good point. I have wondered this myself.

It certainly can display addiction-like symptoms when one is forced to withdraw from it. I am definitely one of these people. If something goes awry in my day that looks like it will push back a lifting session, I can and do get irate. That said, I always end up going anyway, even if it means that I only end up getting three hours of sleep as a result.

Mentally healthy? Probably not. However, considering my many instabilities, this is the least of my concerns. I am a walking exercise in extremity, so you'd have to be a little off to subject yourself to the things that I do.

I hear a lot of "I am amazed at how well you've done", "how did you do this so fast?", "I wish I could do that" etc. First, I am nothing special. My strength and body are laughable when compared to even real intermediates. Second, all you have to do is live alone, eschew most human contact, have a singleminded focus on self-improvement, and a total lack of give a *kitten* for the consequences. With that, you too can have mediocre results in just seven months, and then realize that you've got years to go.

No, most people do not wish for this, even if a small part of them may believe otherwise.
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options

No, fitness addiction is not ok because such people become overtired, run down, injured, risk harming their relationships, and probably many others effects. Nonetheless, still better than drug addiction..