MapMyRun + Spotify Running

Options
Hi All,

I'm just starting to get back out and into running today after a long lay off due to procrastination. I used to run a lot but stopped in 2012 after running a 1/2 marathon.

I like to track my runs, routes, times etc, I find it motivating.

Do you guys use MapMyRun? Do you find it good? I'm trying to decide between MapMyRun and Runkeeper.

Also does MapMyRun have Spotify integration? I can't quite find an answer. I like listening to music when I run and I quite like the idea of Running options in Spotify.

My other option was Runkeeper as that seems to have Spotify Integration but as I use MyFitnessPal and love it I thought MapMyRun would be a good option.

Cheers
Matt

Replies

• MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Options
    Personally I've found the MapMyFiness apps to be very unreliable, but lots of people recommend them

I would veer towards Strava, Endomondo or Runkeeper.
  • kurtzie62
    kurtzie62 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I use the walk and ride apps. I gave not gad any problems yet.
  • Lulaica
    Lulaica Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    I use Runkeeper since it syncs up with Zombies, Run. I have limited storage on my phone, otherwise I would actually also have Endomondo for my non-ZR outings. I haven't used the Spotify Running in a while (not since they added the ability to pick up bpm for android), but I haven't had issues using regular Spotify playlists when I go out walking/jogging with Runkeeper.
  • BeeerRunner
    BeeerRunner Posts: 728 Member
    Options
    I use my Garmin watch and their Connect app for detailed run data and Strava for the community / segment data. I've used mapmyrun previously, but prefer Strava. I also download music onto my phone because there are times when I don't get a good signal or wifi...like when I traveled to Dubai and Afghanistan for work 2 weeks ago. :)
  • JustSomeEm
    JustSomeEm Posts: 20,210 MFP Moderator
    Options
    I use MMR, but haven't tried to integrate it with Spotify... I use good old apple itunes. :P BUT, you CAN have both MMR and a sound app running separately. I use Audible when I'm biking to listen to books, but use the integrated itunes when I'm running. I've also used the RockMyRun app in conjunction with MMR.
  • matthew_dodwell
    Options
    Just for your comments, much appreciated.

I ran out today with RunKeeper and Spotify Running and it worked seamlessly and I enjoyed the BPM in Spotify.

I think I would tend to lean towards Strava or Runtastic, but at the moment, recording me runs, routes, pace as listening to music on Spotify is my plan. I want to be consistent.

Maybe in the future when I've log some good milage this year I might want to get more detailed and specific in my training so I my move to Strava or what not.
  • Stormjib
    Stormjib Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I'm a new user of MapMyFitness and also have the Spotify app on my iPhone 5. I have found that I can run both apps concurrently in order to listen to my downloaded Spotify playlist (extra battery drainage?) I usually keep the MapMyFitness app in the forefront and if I need to adjust or change the playlist I switch back to Spotify then back again. Also, I can't really hear the periodic audio workout updates even given the reasonable playlist volume setting. From what I've read, it seems that MapMyFitness has stated for years that it has been working on updating the music side of their app. Only allowing music sync from downloaded iTunes does seem to be a bit ancient especially given that millions of folks download their playlists from elsewhere. I would think a music update would certainly be a great feature to ad their app. Otherwise, I really love the MapMyFitness and MyFitnessPal apps!
  • davepete57
    davepete57 Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    I've used both and have found Runkeeper to be the better of the 2 Apps
  • AmyOutOfControl
    AmyOutOfControl Posts: 1,425 Member
    Options
    I use MMR and Apple Music. Occasionally I will listen to an audiobook and have both apps running at the same time. I have been using the training programs in MMR and like them. I have reduced my average pace from 11:30 min/ml to 10:30 min/ml over the past 17 weeks.
  • pondee629
    pondee629 Posts: 2,469 Member
    Options
    I use my Garmin watch and their Connect app for detailed run data, I use MapMyRun to map my run prior to heading out. I find this helpful in planning runs while vacationing, I can Map my run at home and have a planned route for when I arrive. I have a run play list downloaded to my phone, which I always bring in case something should happen, I'll have my phone.