Did something dumb, but has me crying in happy tears

Options
Everyone says stay off the scale after birth, especially when I have so much fluid retention that I look like I have a spare tire....

Well curiosity got the best of me and I took a chance.

27 pounds. I am 27 pounds lighter than when I went into the hospital on Wednesday, and that is with all the fluid retention/healing from the c-section. 307 when I went in, 279.6 today. I am so happy!!!!

Replies

• JaydedMiss
    JaydedMiss Posts: 4,286 Member
    Options
    great :D Thats so awesome
  • pinuplove
    pinuplove Posts: 12,874 Member
    Options
    Congrats (both on the baby and your loss!) Now you go rest up with that sweet little one :smile:
  • ronjsteele1
    ronjsteele1 Posts: 1,064 Member
    Options
    That's a boost that REALLY helps after a long pregnancy and delivery. Yay! So glad you're getting to see the fluid go away so quickly in spite of the long, hard road.
  • HippySkoppy
    HippySkoppy Posts: 725 Member
    Options
    Simply awesome news Elphie. What a boost.
  • L1zardQueen
    L1zardQueen Posts: 8,754 Member
    Options
    Really good news. That should lift your spirits some!
  • VintageFeline
    VintageFeline Posts: 6,771 Member
    Options
    I had a feeling this would happen! Just not that you'd get on that scale so soon *wags finger*. But you can relax a bit now and just enjoy that new baby.
  • lilawolf
    lilawolf Posts: 1,690 Member
    Options
    I don't mean this in any sort of bad way, but I'm confused: Wouldn't you expect to be lower in weight after a baby and all associated fluids are removed?

Congrats on the baby and happy healing!
  • 30kgin2017
    30kgin2017 Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    lilawolf wrote: »
    I don't mean this in any sort of bad way, but I'm confused: Wouldn't you expect to be lower in weight after a baby and all associated fluids are removed?

Yes you do expect to be lower but if you put on 40pds during pregnancy and you baby was 8pds add 5pds for placenta/amniotic fluid . What's the other 27pds made up of? Mixture of extra blood, fluid retention etc. Thats going to take time to come of but if you weight yourself shortly after birth esp when your hormones are all over the place the logical brain might not kick in. Hence you put on 40 pounds but still find yourself 27 pound sup after birth and it makes you feel bad.
  • rugratz2015
    rugratz2015 Posts: 593 Member
    Options
    elphie754 wrote: »
    Everyone says stay off the scale after birth, especially when I have so much fluid retention that I look like I have a spare tire....

27 pounds. I am 27 pounds lighter than when I went into the hospital on Wednesday, and that is with all the fluid retention/healing from the c-section. 307 when I went in, 279.6 today. I am so happy!!!!

Congratulations on both the baby and the weight loss!!! Make sure to look after yourself and don't overdo it, c/s really are hard on the body x
  • elphie754
    elphie754 Posts: 7,574 Member
    Options

Congratulations on both the baby and the weight loss!!! Make sure to look after yourself and don't overdo it, c/s really are hard on the body x

I'm trying not to. It's hard because I really want to help with care of the baby, but with the wound vac in place, I am very limited in what I can do. I am restricted to lifting no more than 3-4 lbs, which means someone always has to hand me our daughter, which is so emotionally hard.
  • annacole94
    annacole94 Posts: 997 Member
    Options

You would expect that, but no lie: I weighed the same a couple days after giving birth as I did before. And that was without any IV fluids. Birth is a crazy ride.
  • elphie754
    Options
    annacole94 wrote: »

You would expect that, but no lie: I weighed the same a couple days after giving birth as I did before. And that was without any IV fluids. Birth is a crazy ride.

I was afraid of actually weighing more because of all the IV fluid and blood transfusions.
  • CharlieBeansmomTracey
    CharlieBeansmomTracey Posts: 7,682 Member
    Options

congrats on the baby and woohoo. I dropped all my weight with my first child within a week.
  • zdyb23456
    zdyb23456 Posts: 1,706 Member
    edited March 2017
    Options
    annacole94 wrote: »

After my third baby I had lost only 8 pounds when we got home, she was 8 pounds at birth. It was a bit depressing since I was expecting at least a few more pounds lost due to placenta, fluids, blood, etc.
  • Debmal77
    Debmal77 Posts: 4,770 Member
    Options
    Yeah!!! :)
  • elphie754
    Options

congrats on the baby and woohoo. I dropped all my weight with my first child within a week.
    Oh wow!!!!

• CharlieBeansmomTracey
    Options

Oh wow!!!!

yeah he was supposed to be twins, but the other they think I miscarried. so the placenta was twice as big as it should have been. my belly looked like someone popped a ball lol. the second one I lost half not sure how long it took but wasnt long.I was young though too.my kids are now adults
  • elphie754
    Options

Oh wow!!!!

yeah he was supposed to be twins, but the other they think I miscarried. so the placenta was twice as big as it should have been. my belly looked like someone popped a ball lol. the second one I lost half not sure how long it took but wasnt long.I was young though too.my kids are now adults

So sorry to hear that.

My stomach also looks deflated minus a huge fluid filled pocket on the one side. Thankfully the pocket appears to be getting smaller.
  • CharlieBeansmomTracey
    Options

Oh wow!!!!

So sorry to hear that.

My stomach also looks deflated minus a huge fluid filled pocket on the one side. Thankfully the pocket appears to be getting smaller.

its ok I could not imagine him being twins lol. but Im thankful I have a daughter too.she may not have been here had I had twins. hope you are on the mend soon.