Please help :(

Options
Hey all I am a 5'3 196 male trying to lose 15-20lbs. I struggle with two main things: stress eat and eating way way to much at night. I am looking for people who will actually keep me accountable and help me with this process. I have no problem eating healthy most days. I love to eat healthy but at night and when I'm stressed I eat way to much. So please hit me up if you have advice or can help me. It is very much appreciated.

Replies

• TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    Save some cals for an evening snack
  • debbiebondklein
    debbiebondklein Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    I eat sugar free jello at Night
  • Fallfrenzy
    Fallfrenzy Posts: 118 Member
    Options
    When you are feeling stressed out, try breathing in for 4, holding for 7 and exhaling for 8 a few times before reaching for the snack. After this check yourself to see if you are hungry or just reaching for the snack because of stress. Think about what is causing the stress and what you can do to reduce or eliminate that stress. Easier said than done, but when you catch yourself it does work.
  • vblair77
    vblair77 Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    sometimes to help me NOT munch at night I'll go brush my teeth. Nothing really sounds good to me after I've had toothpaste in my mouth :)
  • BobbyLively1961
    BobbyLively1961 Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    I'm a bad muncher at night , right now I'm eating air pop popcorn with I can't believe it's not butter spray it's pretty filling and the calories are not bad
  • ladyannique2017
    ladyannique2017 Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    I do my exercise in the evenings (7-9pm) and then shower and fall into bed. I find if I am active, I don't get bored. I get the munchies when bored big time.
  • andrewq6100
    andrewq6100 Posts: 415 Member
    Options
    hey bud glad to see you are on the right track! best thing I do when Its late night and I sit watching netflix by myself pondering the days thoughts is..drink water and a trick i've learned (if you have any) are take a scoop of some BCAAS (hopefully yours are sweet tasting) and sip on that. oddly enough i've found for me the BCAAS curve any inkling of hunger especially for sweets and also a thing i've started is when I wind down like after shower but before I relax, is I get a scoop and a half of protein and take that too. Especially if i'm already at my calorie max for the day, it wont ever hurt to add another 200 cals extra of protein for the sake of not eating empty cals like chips / cookies etc. hope this helps brother!
  • sbx2307
    sbx2307 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Thank you all for the tips!!! And advice!!! Seeing and reading the support is awesome and really has me motivated not to munch tonight!! Gonna start tonight!
  • HippySkoppy
    HippySkoppy Posts: 725 Member
    Options
    Night time munchies are really common so giving yourself calorie space in your day elsewhere to have food at this time is really sensible. Eating in response to stress though may well be helped if you dig deeper and find the answers to why you feel this way. Perhaps ask yourself:

What the stress is about?
    Can I change the circumstances/my response and will this rectify the issue/s?
    If you are "stuck" with these stressors then seeking help in dealing with them via the multitude of options available such as: meditation, self-help books or therapy.

Using will power to combat stress eating is finite and exhausting especially if the problem rears its head daily, you may find you go OK for days/weeks then Bam you are back to the starting point which can be hard to deal with.

Whatever changes you make I wish you success and all the best.
  • abundantlyme
    abundantlyme Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    Feel free to add me. I used to be a nighttime eater, too. Sometimes I still do it, but now it's occasionally rather than most of the time. I really had to understand how bad night eating really was for me. What I do now is I close out my food diary after my evening snack (around 7pm). Then I turn out all the lights in the kitchen and it's hands off. If I feel really tempted, I do something else, like exercise or just go to bed. :)
  • tabletop_joe
    tabletop_joe Posts: 455 Member
    Options
    I eat late. I know many advise against this, but it works for me.