Alli

Options
Hi has any one tried Alli? I know from experience that dieting pills dont realy work or are full of unhealthy things but I've just read about Alli and also a study done on it that seems to prove that it works. You have to be over a certain BMI to be able to buy it but i am, and was thinking of getting some as it seems to actually work. I might not though and it is expensive! I know healthy eatting and exercise is the key...

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/health/5408179/Diet-pills-the-verdict.html

Replies

• anthony438
    anthony438 Posts: 578 Member
    Options
    I've done it - didn't really care for it at all.

I didn't seem to lose that much more, and there were *ahem* various "side effects"
  • christine24t
    christine24t Posts: 6,063 Member
    Options
    I would try losing weight naturally! And then if that doesn't work, talk to your doctor about it. But try eating right and exercising first. You will be surprised how easy it is!
  • christine24t
    christine24t Posts: 6,063 Member
    Options
    Double post. :(
  • melsinct
    melsinct Posts: 3,512 Member
    Options
    There is no pill that will make you lose weight. If it were that easy, there would be no overweight people. Don't they advocate a lower calorie diet while on Alli? I am thinking that is where the loss comes from, not a pill...
  • GW9stone
    GW9stone Posts: 10
    Options
    i think i'll save my money but it's tempting after reading about it!
  • anthony438
    Options
    There is no pill that will make you lose weight. If it were that easy, there would be no overweight people. Don't they advocate a lower calorie diet while on Alli? I am thinking that is where the loss comes from, not a pill...

Actually, Alli will. It works by blocking fat absorption in your intestines.

However, that fat has to go somewhere. Eat too much fat and...

...well, I'll just stick with calling it "side effects"
  • jmcjamie
    jmcjamie Posts: 82
    Options
    get it if you want to poop yourself! seriously!
  • Heather75
    Heather75 Posts: 3,386 Member
    Options
    I have an aversion to crapping myself.
  • mialsya
    mialsya Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    Alli is the only FDA approved diet pill in the US. It works by binding to the fat that you eat and flushing it out of your system so it doesn't get stored. It will also bind to the fat that your body is breaking down as you lose weight to flush that out of your system quicker. As a result, it can cause extremely loose diarrhea, especially when you eat high fat foods/meals or are extremely overweight. It helps you from gaining more weight while you are trying to lose weight, which can speed up the process. I haven't read anywhere in the studies that it does anything for current body fat stores, like breaking them down or anything like that. You still need to be watching your diet and exercising regularly. However, if you watch your fat intake, you will be fine without Alli.
  • _Johanna_
    _Johanna_ Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    I tried Alli, and I think it helped and made me more conscious about what I ate as I didn't want the *ahem* side effects :)

Alli is made specifically for those on a low calorie, low fat diet that are already working to lose weight via healthy diet. The intent of Alli is to help you lose weight faster by allowing a portion of the fat you consume to not be digested and go through your system.

If you are NOT eating a low calorie, low fat diet already, Alli is not for you. If you have intestinal issues already, Alli is not for you.

If you are already eating a healthy diet and losing weight and just want to lose weight faster, Alli could be for you.

Now, I have NOT joined back on the Alli bandwagon. mainly because now that I have found MFP, I *know* the weight will come off naturally, without the need to any extra help and I am not as concerned with losing weight on a time line as I have been in the past. Also, I think there is a lot about nutrition and health that I do not understand and having Alli in the mix seems to be an added layer of concern to becoming a healthy, well rounded eater :)
  • MissO﹠A
    MissO﹠A Posts: 906 Member
    Options
    Under certain circumstances, the side effects of Alli could come in quite handy. Imagine you're up for jury duty and waiting to be called on, sh*tting your pants is the perfect way to get out of it. Also, scary movies? You wouldn't have to lie when you say, "That scared the crap outta me!"

(Sticking to watching what you eat and improving how you eat will do the trick sans pills.)
  • voluptas63
    voluptas63 Posts: 602 Member
    Options
    Two words keep me away: anal leakage.
  • FearAnLoathing
    FearAnLoathing Posts: 4,852 Member
    Options
    Im going to have an Alli party, first I invite over a bunch of people I dont really like,Second I slip Alli into ALL the drinks,Third I serve Mc.Donalds for dinner and watch the fun begin:devil:
  • GW9stone
    Options
    but if you know that you litteraly cant eat bad foods...or you know what will happen... then surley it helps... although...you could just not eat mcdonalds and bad foods like all that and save loads of money. Ive heard amazingly good things about it and also the same amount of bad things about it.
  • anthony438
    Options
    Im going to have an Alli party, first I invite over a bunch of people I dont really like,Second I slip Alli into ALL the drinks,Third I serve Mc.Donalds for dinner and watch the fun begin:devil:

you forgot #4 - Remove the toilet paper from all of the bathrooms
  • dointime
    dointime Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    I am one of the few who ever has anything good to say about this! I had a hard time eating healthy in the first place, so I used Alli as a behavior modifier. I knew that I couldn't eat foods high in fat (the ones that I was having trouble staying away from on my own) but Alli gave me the incentive to stay away--if I didn't, I would crap my pants. Now, in a month of using it, I have never had anal leakage, never crapped myself, never farted oil, never had any gross side effects, all because I had a VERY good reason to stay away from the excess fat that I had been consuming. It did help. Once that month was up, I was not nearly as tempted by fat, and I was able to make better choices without having to have the extra help from Alli. You really have to think it through though. You have to be willing to make changes, it's definitely no miracle pill. It did help me to change my behavior though so I could do it on my own. Good luck with whatever decision you make!
  • GW9stone
    Options
    doesnt sound like fun!