That number cant be right!

Options
So I did the eiliptical trainer today. I did it for 12 minutes on level 9 (high intensity), and was pouring sweat. My heart rate even got up to 178. However, the exercise log on here says I burned 160 cals. I just dont think that can be right! I feel like I burned wayyyyy more than that.

Replies

• madmisskelly
    Options
    So I did the eiliptical trainer today. I did it for 12 minutes on level 9 (high intensity), and was pouring sweat. My heart rate even got up to 178. However, the exercise log on here says I burned 160 cals. I just dont think that can be right! I feel like I burned wayyyyy more than that.
  • porka29
    porka29 Posts: 868 Member
    Options
    I agree, I just started using my hrm yesterday and found this calculator, put your stuff in and see if it is different............I did confirm that other folks here use the same calculations, this just makes it easier. let me know!
    http://www.triathlontrainingblog.com/?page_id=483
  • madmisskelly
    Options
    It still only says i burned 184 calories
  • YogaBooty
    Options
    sadly that's probably accurate... isn't it sad how much harder it is to burn calories than eat them ? :(
  • porka29
    porka29 Posts: 868 Member
    Options
    Ok, well, I guess you can just chalk it up to a good workout and you feel good? Maybe others will have something other to contribute. I know I wasn't doing much before at all so when I was around 170 yesterday on the stationary bike, the numbers were off, but I sweated so much I knew I was doing exactly what I needed to do. My face looked like this :mad: , and my roots are growing out to boot! Not a good look:laugh:
  • repete11
    Options
    Sorry to tell you this but that probably is correct. Keep in mind, 184 calories is a heck of a lot for only 12 minutes. I don't even burn that running! Keep it up girl, you are doing great!
  • inadelirium
    Options
    I think that may be right, but it really will depend on your weight. I know when I do the elliptical and my heart rate gets int that range I'll burn about 15 calories a min. That is why sometimes I will just do a faster pace and less resistance... and still burn the same calories.
  • momof3hawks
    momof3hawks Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    When I do an eliptical for 60 minutes it says I burned 800 cal. Divide that by the 60 minutes and multiply what you get by your 12 minutes and it comes to 173 calories. That is a wonderful amount to burn for such a short time. Way to Go!! :glasses:
  • madmisskelly
    Options
    lol I guess when y'all put it that way its not so bad! : D.

I guess I got mad cuz I really wanted a dessert and I was like, 100 calories over. I really wanted one of those low fat creamcicles. However, I snuck some grapes later. I still had my dessert....but it was healthy. I went to town on those grapes! HAHA
  • SHBoss1673
    SHBoss1673 Posts: 7,161 Member
    Options
    Considering that at about 80% max heart rate most people burn about 13 to 14 calories a minute (thats an average folks, it doesn't work for everyone), and you were about 88% (220 minus your age is 202: 178 divided by 202 is 88%), well that sounds close to me.
  • songbyrdsweet
    songbyrdsweet Posts: 5,691 Member
    Options
    Considering that at about 80% max heart rate most people burn about 13 to 14 calories a minute (thats an average folks, it doesn't work for everyone), and you were about 88% (220 minus your age is 202: 178 divided by 202 is 88%), well that sounds close to me.

I wish I did! :sad:

I burn about 8 cal/min at 75% and 10cal/min at 85%. Darn my smallness.

It was only 12 minutes...if it were that easy to burn up calories, fewer people would be obese. What a shame that it's so much easier to eat more than 178 calories in 12 minutes! :laugh:
  • SHBoss1673
    SHBoss1673 Posts: 7,161 Member
    Options

It was only 12 minutes...if it were that easy to burn up calories, fewer people would be obese. What a shame that it's so much easier to eat more than 178 calories in 12 minutes! :laugh:

With ya on that one SB, I took the wife's body pump class last night, and really piled on the weight (ugh, my shoulders are meat today), that's an hour of decent cardio at an average of about 68% max, and a measilly 371 calories burned, granted, there is a lot of fast twitch muscle fatigue in body pump as well, so I'll probably gain some density, but still. A little dissapointing.
  • songbyrdsweet
    songbyrdsweet Posts: 5,691 Member
    Options

With ya on that one SB, I took the wife's body pump class last night, and really piled on the weight (ugh, my shoulders are meat today), that's an hour of decent cardio at an average of about 68% max, and a measilly 371 calories burned, granted, there is a lot of fast twitch muscle fatigue in body pump as well, so I'll probably gain some density, but still. A little dissapointing.

Totally! I get so much of a burn in Body Pump that it should easily burn about a million calories! I only go once a week, much more than that and I tend to want to throw weights at the instructor every time they make me do a partial rep. :grumble: