How did I gain so much in such little time?

Options
Okay, so I've been working out and counting calories for roughly 1 month and lost about 1 pound a week. These past few days have been difficult just because we lost power in our neighborhood and our faucet to the kitchen sink broke, so my boyfriend and I have been going out to eat a lot. I've been trying to count while eating out, but once the weekend hit, all my calorie counting and habits were thrown out the window. I weighed myself this morning and saw that I'm back to my starting weight from last month. It didn't help that I wasn't drinking a lot of water the past few days, either. Anyways, I'm back to counting and working out. How long would it take to lose the extra 4-5 pounds? Is it just water weight?

Replies

• TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    Yep, sounds like you're retaining water to me.
  • wizzybeth
    wizzybeth Posts: 3,573 Member
    Options
    I would bet at least 75% is water weight
  • amtyrell
    amtyrell Posts: 1,449 Member
    Options
    3500 calories is 1 lb so to have gained 4lbs is roughly overeating by 14000 calories . You msy have overeaten but no way by that much. However likely to have had a ton of salt that you can end up retaining water.
  • Stella3838
    Stella3838 Posts: 439 Member
    Options
    I gained 3 pounds Sat after a high sodium and beer laden Friday night, but this morning I'm down again almost 4 pounds. Before I would have freaked out, but I know that night's like Friday will make the scale jump for me, so I've gotten into tracking my trend of weight, not the day to day. With eating out, there is likely a lot of salt. Just get back on track best you can, it'll come back off. :smile:
  • RaccoTaco
    RaccoTaco Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Okay, thank you guys! c:
  • GrayRider61
    GrayRider61 Posts: 337 Member
    Options
    Just keep at it and don't be discouraged.
  • Megansmith112712
    Megansmith112712 Posts: 62 Member
    edited March 2017
    Options
    Thursday I weighed 210.8 pounds. Monday morning I was at 217. Now that would mean I would have had to over eat by 21700 calories. And average o 5425 more calories a day. So I'd have to eat an average of 8100 calories a day. Now I know that's not what happened because couldn't eat that much if I tried. Just to show you weight fluctuations and how the scale not always accurate depiction of weight loss. This can be a combination of bloating and dehydration, because I as well barely dink fluids on the weekends.
  • crooked_left_hook
    crooked_left_hook Posts: 364 Member
    Options
    It's water weight. My sister lost power for 4 days due to the ridiculous wind storm last week and she was up about 5lbs too. I told her just to get back on track and she'll be back to where she started pretty quick. These things will happen, and part of the weight loss journey is learning how to stay on track while managing all the unexpected things life throws at you.
  • cgvet37
    cgvet37 Posts: 1,189 Member
    Options
    Hydrate and your body will release the water. I have gained up to 4 lbs. over a weekend, over doing it on sodium. Once I get back on track with my water intake, it's usually gone in a couple of days.
  • hedgiie
    hedgiie Posts: 1,245 Member
    Options
    what I've noticed to myself is that I tend to lose weight now that I've been doing this for 7 years. it take a lot of time to lose those that i gain back when i was out of shape. what i'm saying is that it's relative to how healthy you are on how fast you could lose those re-gained weight. Example is that I could lose 9 pounds(regained weight) in about 1 to 2 weeks, this would take about more than 2 months about 3 to 5 years ago