Edema in ankles

Options
vilyda123
vilyda123 Posts: 27 Member
edited March 2017 in Health and Weight Loss
Hi. I am 80 lbs overweight. Last June I developed edema in both ankles. Doctors have ruled out heart, liver, kidney and vascular problems. I'm hypothyroid and after adjusting my medication most of the swelling has gone away. However, I still have edema saddlebags on both ankles. I'm wearing compression socks every day and I elevate my feet as much as possible I've also cut back on salt. I've tried acupuncture, massage therapy and infrared light therapy. They can't adjust my thyroid meds any further and diuretics are not helping. Any thoughts?

Replies

• Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    I use a product called Antistax. It's brilliant and keeps water retention and tired, sore and achy legs at bay.
  • middlehaitch
    middlehaitch Posts: 8,483 Member
    Options
    I don't have a permanent problem, but I do get it in high temperatures and when travelling.
    I was recommended black cherry syrup- no results, and upward brushing, no results. ( the brushing may have a circulatory/lymphatic benefit)

Since then I have upped the time on my feet and walking for circulation improvements.

When I first started yoga we spent the first five min lay on the floor with our bottoms up against a wall and our legs straight up. The yogi said it would help alleviate oedema in the ankles and feet.

I have found, for a couple of weeks before travel, that doing my legs up the wall for 5 min a couple of times a day, walking at least a couple of minutes hourly, as well as getting in at least 30min continuous movement daily has helped reduce the travel/heat oedema.

Don't know if that may help you. :)

Looking at your alias I take it you are in Scotland. I have only seen the kelpies at a distance, but will be there visiting family (peebles) in June and going to the kelpies and wheel are high in my list.

Cheers, h.
  • vilyda123
    vilyda123 Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    Thank you for your comments. I am in Colorado.