Help me with workout resources and routine.

Options
I am currently doing mostly bodyweight exercises. My current routine is every other day, 3 rounds of
10 jumping jacks to warm up a little
5 knees to chest on bar (actually go up as high as possible, first few I can go into a skin the cat)
6 pushups
10 squats
5 V situps
5 pullups/assisted pullups
1 minute wall sit
5 chin-ups/assisted chin-ups
1 minute plank
(don't know what it's called stand on one leg and go up on tip toes on stairs 10 each leg
1 minute handstand (wall assisted)
5 leglifts laying on my back
10 dips
carry boyfriend up and down my stairs, or son 3 times
I also do some stretching afterwards

I just recently started, and am slowly working up. My most recent was moving the timed exercises from 30 seconds to 1 minute. I want to increase the pushups and pull ups next. I'm wanting to do some more running to help my stamina, I like obstacle running and such. I also can do some very beginner gymnastics, and would like to increase that a bit more if I could, too. Are there good running programs to follow to help me get into that more? Any other tips, suggestions and such?

Replies

• AverageJoeFit
    AverageJoeFit Posts: 251 Member
    Options
    Well for running you can download an app called c25k. There are also websites that have training plans like (google hal higdon). There are also a lot of running podcasts to listen to for advice.

Your workout sounds pretty good for OCR training, but you could add in some dead hang or other grip strengthening exercises. Just in case.
  • wellthenwhat
    wellthenwhat Posts: 526 Member
    Options
    What is OCR?
  • AverageJoeFit
    edited March 2017
    Options
    Obstacle Courses Race. Like Spartan Race, tough murder etc. I thought that was what you meant by Obstacle running.
  • wellthenwhat
    Options
    Yes, that is. But I also want to incorporate some running because I don't have very good stamina at any speed with that.
  • StealthHealth
    StealthHealth Posts: 2,417 Member
    Options

Don't do this.. it's asking for a nasty accident.

• wellthenwhat
    Options

Don't do this.. it's asking for a nasty accident.

I have carried my son around on my back since he was a baby, cross country walks, hills, stairs, hiking, you name it. He's only 50 pounds, and I can carry him for hours, so it's not a big deal. My boyfriend is almost 3 times that, but still not super hard to carry, even up stairs, and I'm always careful.
  • StealthHealth
    Options
    The whole point of a progressive exercise program is that you push yourself to achieve something that you couldn't before - This is how you improve, become stronger, fitter. That is very different than carrying your child around during your everyday activities, a hike, or even stair climbs as part of your daily activities.

If you choose to continue with this idea, that is your choice.
  • wellthenwhat
    Options
    It pushes me a bit because of all the other leg exercises mixed in, but not to the point that my legs would give out from under me. They get tired, but not to the point of being weak
  • StealthHealth
    edited March 2017
    Options
    It pushes me a bit because of all the other leg exercises mixed in, but not to the point that my legs would give out from under me. They get tired, but not to the point of being weak

So why not just do more of the other stuff and leave you boyfriend/child out of it? Seems to me like you're risking their injury for zero benefit to you.

Anyhow, I took another look at your program and I think you're right to be concerned that it's light on glute and quad work (even with the stairs idea).

I'd recommend you:
    • drop the stairs climb
    • do more than 10 b/w squats
    • do some single leg squats
    • add in a set of bridges
    • add in a set of single leg dead-lifts (no weight needed)
    • Drop the wall handstand - static positions where you can lock out such as this have very little exercise benefit, they neither improve strength, mobility, or expend significant calories

If you feel that you still need more leg work consider some sissy squats or pistol squats (you may need something to hold onto for these exercises).

Personally I also think you'd get more benefit from grouping the exercise per body group and performing them back to back with rest rather than as a circuit but that is maybe more of a personal preference of mine - it's not a guarantee but I notice that the people in my gym who run circuits are usually the ones who perform their exercises with sloppy form.

Or, you could just follow and established program such as Mark Lauren's you Are Your Own Gym.
  • AverageJoeFit
    Options
    Yes, that is. But I also want to incorporate some running because I don't have very good stamina at any speed with that.

The app c25k is a great running app for beginners. Also you could look up Yancy Camp (ocr trainer pay wall) or Hal Higdon (half marathon and marathon training)
  • neighaa
    neighaa Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    I am currently doing mostly bodyweight exercises. My current routine is every other day, 3 rounds of
    10 jumping jacks to warm up a little
    5 knees to chest on bar (actually go up as high as possible, first few I can go into a skin the cat)
    6 pushups
    10 squats
    5 V situps
    5 pullups/assisted pullups
    1 minute wall sit
    5 chin-ups/assisted chin-ups
    1 minute plank
    (don't know what it's called stand on one leg and go up on tip toes on stairs 10 each leg
    1 minute handstand (wall assisted)
    5 leglifts laying on my back
    10 dips
    I also do some stretching afterwards

I just recently started, and am slowly working up. My most recent was moving the timed exercises from 30 seconds to 1 minute. I want to increase the pushups and pull ups next. I'm wanting to do some more running to help my stamina, I like obstacle running and such. I also can do some very beginner gymnastics, and would like to increase that a bit more if I could, too. Are there good running programs to follow to help me get into that more? Any other tips, suggestions and such?

Follow Reddit's bodyweight recommended routine. It is a progressive bodyweight program and it will help you work your way up to better performance.
  • wellthenwhat
    Options
    I have a bum knee that gets bad FAST when I do one legged squats, also too many regular squats, but hasn't been bothering me with the current routine. The wall handstand is a killer for me. My arms and shoulders are burning and I'm shaking all over by the end of the minute, so I don't see how it's not doing anything. I started it purposely to improve my handstand itself, not just as exercise.
    I might have to look more into c25k. Can't get the app because I have no room on my cheap phone. Would it work to substitute a run instead of my other leg exercises every other time, or what's the best way to incorporate some running without adding a lot of time?
  • StealthHealth
    Options
    I have a bum knee that gets bad FAST when I do one legged squats, also too many regular squats, but hasn't been bothering me with the current routine. The wall handstand is a killer for me. My arms and shoulders are burning and I'm shaking all over by the end of the minute, so I don't see how it's not doing anything. I started it purposely to improve my handstand itself, not just as exercise.
    I might have to look more into c25k. Can't get the app because I have no room on my cheap phone. Would it work to substitute a run instead of my other leg exercises every other time, or what's the best way to incorporate some running without adding a lot of time?

Sounds like you've got it all worked out then. Well done. It makes me wonder why you asked for advice in the first place. Let us know how you get on with it and let's hope that your bum knee doesn't cause you any problems when you're running up and down stairs with boyfriend or child on your back.
  • wellthenwhat
    Options

Sounds like you've got it all worked out then. Well done. It makes me wonder why you asked for advice in the first place. Let us know how you get on with it and let's hope that your bum knee doesn't cause you any problems when you're running up and down stairs with boyfriend or child on your back.
    Sorry, I know I sound like I'm being argumentative. I appreciate the suggestions, though
  • AverageJoeFit
    Options
    C25k is a run walk combo that takes you from not being able to run for a certain amount of time and magus it so you can run for 30 min with it stopping.

Google something like couch to half marathon will get you things like this

http://womensrunning.competitor.com/2013/09/training-tips/couch-to-half-marathon-training-plan_15065/3#CKe6517HZYPDIfKT.97

These have a plan and just start jogging for a bit the walking a bit until you can run non stop
  • wellthenwhat
    Options
    C25k is a run walk combo that takes you from not being able to run for a certain amount of time and magus it so you can run for 30 min with it stopping.

Google something like couch to half marathon will get you things like this

http://womensrunning.competitor.com/2013/09/training-tips/couch-to-half-marathon-training-plan_15065/3#CKe6517HZYPDIfKT.97

These have a plan and just start jogging for a bit the walking a bit until you can run non stop
    I actually was able to make enough room for it on my phone, and started it this morning! :D At the moment I'm doing it on my off day, but we'll see how it lasts, lol

• AverageJoeFit
    Options
    You can also find some good OCR groups on Facebook. Teams like Beasts ocr or 4-0. Then there are Westcoast Spartans or east coast spartans. Some of them have workouts posted as well.