Vegetarian/Vegan Friends

Options

Replies

• nm212
    nm212 Posts: 570 Member
    Options
    amyereed99 wrote: »
    I need Vegan friends :-)
    I am vegan for a year straight now. Prior to that I was on/off for several years.
    I have 0 experience with MFP, but I know that social groups help with weightloss.
    Add me if you like!

I'll def add you! I'm not trying to be strict vegan honestly...like if something has dairy in it and I am out with friends, I'm not gonna be crazy about it but I'm trying to do it at home at least. No judgement here. I'm more of a flex-vegan (if that's a thing? haha) I may have an egg or slice of pizza once in a while...I don't believe in depriving myself to the point where I am unhappy, even though I do obviously care about animals and being humane etc. We only do the best that we can do. I respect people that are 100% vegan though. I just know for myself I have to be flexible in order to stick to it. At least for now...
  • nm212
    Options
    mfsander wrote: »
    Hi everyone! I am also Vegan and would like to have more vegan friends. I find that using a pressure cooker (I use the Instant Pot) for beans and rice really helps me stay on track. It cuts down on cooking time and I prepare enough to last for the week so I do not have to try to figure out what to eat last minute. I also eat a lot of salads, root vegetables, and soups. Also keeping fast vegan proteins on hand (i.e. pre-made black bean burger patties, meatless crumbles, etc.) really helps when I feel extra lazy. I do have my days when I hit up Taco Bell or Chipotle as well :)

mmmm chipotle... I had that last weekend...so good! Their veggie rice bowls are so good. That's a good idea cooking beans & rice in bulk. I tried making beans from scratch one time and for some reason didn't come out that good, but maybe I need to try again. I have a crockpot. Would that work?
  • estherdragonbat
    estherdragonbat Posts: 5,283 Member
    Options
    I've been vegetarian for 26 years. I mostly cook vegan (I'm married to a meat eater; I keep kosher; there are a whole bunch of problems with mixing meat and dairy that make sitting at the table together—or heating up our food in the same oven at the same time—when he's having beef and I'm having cheese unnecessarily complicated and most of my vegetarian cookbooks are at least 50% dairy.), though I will sometimes make cook with eggs too. And I'll eat dairy foods, I just don't cook them.

Add me if you like!
  • Hooligan300
    Hooligan300 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    im wanting to become a vegetarian. ive cut out red meat but still eat some chicken and tuna.....any tips i could get please i have zero problems with being vegetarian i love veggies
  • gabcellop
    gabcellop Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I just decided one day to completely cut out all meat. I had been wanting to but struggled with a few items. The advice I can give you is to make sure you research protein sources very well. It honestly gets easier as time goes on. Making substitutions is awesome too. In the beginning, I would buy Boca burgers and stuff like that to help me transition. I rarely buy those products anymore since I want to stick to less processed foods. I honestly think that was a major factor in my success. Now I don't even crave meat. I hope that helped you. The awesome thing about going vegetarian is that because veggies are low calorie, you can eat plenty without overdoing it and still feel satisfied and get your nutrients. One thing I to take is a protein powder to help supplement.
  • nm212
    Options
    Do you guys take a B-12 supplement? I'm skeptical... do we really need that?
  • primerra44
    primerra44 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    HI everyone:

Today is my first day on here. I became a vegetarian on January 1st and I am a marathon runner. So I am working out everyday doing something, hills, speed workouts, weights, walking, yoga, HIT classes...everything you can think of. Sometimes two workouts in one day. My weight is stuck...I am pretty sure I am not eating enough. Need to get some tips from vegetarians...HELP! I overload on greens but they are not very caloric....but I feel full. I cook all my meals so there is nothing crazy in my diet. I'd appreciate any ideas. Currently I have been stuck between 175 and 179 for what feels like an eternity. I want to break the 175 mark and get to 171....HELP! Thanks...
  • estherdragonbat
    estherdragonbat Posts: 5,283 Member
    Options
    It's the one nutrient that isn't found naturally in plant sources. If you're ovo-lacto or lacto, you're probably getting enough. Otherwise, unless you're eating B-12 fortified cereal (by now, there may be other vegan foods that contain it, but 25 years ago, that was it), you probably do.
  • theoutlawjf
    theoutlawjf Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Hi all.

Just rejoined MFP. This is my first time trying to do something about my weight since going vegan permanently just over a year ago.

I have found since turning vegan my weight has increased, along with my dress size!

I could really do with somw.vegan friends to motivate me. But that i can motivate too. Weight loss is such a hard path! All of my other vegan friends are slim, which makes it difficult to share ideas and get inspiration!

Would love some new friends. X
  • ariceroni
    ariceroni Posts: 422 Member
    Options
    Hey there! I'm vegetarian, almost entirely vegan, and always happy to have more friends on here! I log every single day and have a fairly high intake (2000-2200 calories) as I'm very active and a distance runner.
  • tapwaters
    tapwaters Posts: 428 Member
    Options
    /waves, vegan, feel free to add :)
  • veganMomto7
    veganMomto7 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Hello to everyone. I am vegan and can offer support, tips and recipes. Everyone here can friend me as I need support and friends as well. I have no vegan friends here at home and it gets pretty darn lonely when I want to talk about anything vegan. S.A.D. eaters all around me.
  • ssaarraahhhhjj
    ssaarraahhhhjj Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    nm212 wrote: »
    Do you guys take a B-12 supplement? I'm skeptical... do we really need that?

Yes, get your B12. You don't want a deficiency (even if it likely will take years to get there). I would say it's quite easy to take a pill/spray/whatever (daily or a couple of times a week depending on the dose), and you won't have to worry about it.
  • VeggieBarbells
    VeggieBarbells Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    I'm all in.... Veggie by name, Anyone feel free to add.
  • nm212
    Options
    Thanks for all the tips! I'm still not 100% vegan but I hope to be that someday... Appreciate the support and new friends here!
  • struggeling53
    struggeling53 Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    I have been doing the vegan thing for about 6 months....few slips here and there so I'm about 98% vegan...striving for 100%.....add me if you like
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    It's the one nutrient that isn't found naturally in plant sources. If you're ovo-lacto or lacto, you're probably getting enough. Otherwise, unless you're eating B-12 fortified cereal (by now, there may be other vegan foods that contain it, but 25 years ago, that was it), you probably do.

Nutritional yeast is often (but not always) fortified with B12, as are some faux meat products and many plant milks. Energy drinks are frequently fortified with B vitamins, including B12.

But yeah, if you're a vegan you aren't getting any B12 unless you're taking a supplement or eating fortified foods.
  • nm212
    Options

Nutritional yeast is often (but not always) fortified with B12, as are some faux meat products and many plant milks. Energy drinks are frequently fortified with B vitamins, including B12.

But yeah, if you're a vegan you aren't getting any B12 unless you're taking a supplement or eating fortified foods.

Thanks! I'd rather eat fortified foods than take a supplement so that's good to know. I read that you only need a small amount of B12 in your diet and most supplements are way higher than what you actually need, but I suppose it's still safe. It's good to know there are options.
  • fightingthetideofaging
    Options
    I've been a vegetarian for over 40 years. Considering switching to vegan, so will be following all of you to pick up tips, ideas, etc. Just started back on MFP after being gone for a bit. Hope to make some new vegan/vegetarian friends.