Does anyone else ever feel weak and shaky

Options
Does anyone else ever feel weak and shaky after a long cardio workout. I know some times after barre I feel light headed and see my hands trembling. I know a piece of candy or a bite of fruit used to fix that but I'm trying to cut out sugars completely

Replies

• dbanks80
    dbanks80 Posts: 3,685 Member
    Options
    Do you eat something b4 ur workout? If I dont eat something b4 workouts I feel dizzy and weak after.
  • usmcmp
    usmcmp Posts: 21,220 Member
    Options
    It could be blood sugar related or it could be that you aren't eating enough. If you don't have a medical reason to cut out sugars it might be a good idea for you to eat something with sugar/carbs before a workout. Sugar isn't evil and can be a source of quick energy.
  • CarlydogsMom
    CarlydogsMom Posts: 645 Member
    Options
    I had the scariest experience last fall after a very long mountain bike ride. Drank water the whole time, but...got back to the cars, and my body started to seize up, going numb, starting in my fingers, which turned into claws (I couldn't unbend them), then all over. Legs, arms, chest, throat...it was really quite terrifying, but turns out it was a severe lack of electrolytes. A couple large bottles of Gatorade and a few hours later, I was OK.

So now I'm very conscientious about making sure I'm not only hydrated, but electrolyted as well. If you're feeling weak or trembly, drink coconut water before (AWESOMELY high in potassium) you work out, or some other electrolyte substance. A good post-workout drink, too, is chocolate milk. Has carbs, fats, and proteins. Plus, chocolate...
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    Be sure you are hydrating during your workout.
  • catmomfat
    catmomfat Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    I am hydrating. I'm trying to stay under 1100 calories a day. However I came home and ate a 100 calories almond pack so blew that for the day. Ugh
  • mir1104
    mir1104 Posts: 101 Member
    edited March 2017
    Options
    catmomfat wrote: »
    Does anyone else ever feel weak and shaky after a long cardio workout. I know some times after barre I feel light headed and see my hands trembling. I know a piece of candy or a bite of fruit used to fix that but I'm trying to cut out sugars completely
    I am hydrating. I'm trying to stay under 1100 calories a day. However I came home and ate a 100 calories almond pack so blew that for the day. Ugh

I think you are over-restricting and on the verge of an eating disorder.
    Barre is a lovely workout but in no way it's "intense cardio", your hands are trembling, you are cutting out sugars (of any kind, fruit too) completely, a 100 calorie slip off is "blew it"...
    Do seek professional help!!
  • dbanks80
    Options

This would explain why you are weak and shaky.

• dbanks80
    Options
    mir1104 wrote: »

I think you are over-restricting and on the verge of an eating disorder.
    Barre is a lovely workout but in no way it's "intense cardio", your hands are trembling, you are cutting out sugars (of any kind, fruit too) completely, a 100 calorie slip off is "blew it"...
    Do seek professional help!!

I agree something doesnt sound right.
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    Your body is telling you that you are doing it wrong.
  • amberrea82
    amberrea82 Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    I know I always feel pretty shaky if I don't eat beforehand. Now I just make sure I have something even if it's just a couple handfuls of trail mix.
  • deluxmary2000
    deluxmary2000 Posts: 981 Member
    Options
    Stop starving yourself. Your body is telling you something.
  • singletrackmtbr
    singletrackmtbr Posts: 644 Member
    Options
    I'm trying to stay under 1100 calories a day.

You're answering your own question right here.

• croftie4
    croftie4 Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    Omg don't eat that low.

I don't have sugar haven't for 30 years, cut high sugar fruits all for health reasons there was a few weeks where a felt a bit shaky but that was it. Nothing since.

My friend experienced your symptoms and her doc said she wasn't eating enough or drinking enough water.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    sijomial wrote: »
    Your body is telling you that you are doing it wrong.

belaboring the point.