Help

I'm 54 years old and have gained 25lbs in a year!!! Problem is I like my wine to much

Replies

• tinkerbellang83
    tinkerbellang83 Posts: 9,111 Member
    Set your calorie goals and stick to them, you're gonna have to eat less, move more or do a combination of the two if you wanna keep drinking the old vino and lose weight.
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Drink less wine (that is, drink wine in the context of a calorie deficit).

• cross2bear
    cross2bear Posts: 1,106 Member
    Its a "problem" that many of us share!!

You can enjoy a glass (or two) of wine as long as you build it into your daily calorie allotment. Its not wine thats making you gain weight, its too much food and wine, and the calories that go with it.

Put your personal stats into MFP, tell them how much you want to lose and in what time frame (a good start is .5-to 1 pound per week for someone with just 25lbs to lose) and it will tell you how many calories you can consume to lose weight. You can earn more calories (so more wine) with intentional exercise.

I recommend that you get a food scale to ensure you are measuring your caloric intake accurately.

I am sure there will be others with great, additional comments, but the basic plan is eat everything, just not so much.

Cheers!

• svierheilig
    svierheilig Posts: 9 Member
    I am not hard core, only drink Friday and sat and moderately. I think this is a lot of people with weight problems problem. Thank you for the insight
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,575 Member
    edited March 2017
    I love my wine too! When I first started losing weight I made myself a deal: no exercise = no wine.

I'm a lot more fit now, still enjoy my wine and have been in maintenance for over a year.

I also have cut down wine consumption to a glass or two with dinner during the week, though I still drink considerably more on the weekends.

Edit: I am also the same age as you.
  • Tacklewasher
    Tacklewasher Posts: 7,122 Member
    I am not hard core, only drink Friday and sat and moderately. I think this is a lot of people with weight problems problem. Thank you for the insight

Bleh. Lightweight. I have wine 3-4 times a week. But I fit it into my overall calories. Bigger problem comes when the wine leads to poor food choices. So, for me, the wine comes out once dinner is made.

Now I'm going to the pub for St Paddy's day tomorrow and fully expect that to not go so well :)
  • svierheilig
    I'm going to try not to drink anything for 21 days I'm laughing because I don't think I'll make it 10 days
  • cathipa
    cathipa Posts: 2,991 Member
    Create a reasonable calorie deficit and stick to it. If a glass (5oz = 120 cal) fits then great! You are going to have to measure it out and track it (and everything else you consume), but you will find this will be the key to your success.
  • svierheilig
    I just got a Fitbit and been tracking everything I'm going to stay off the wine for a couple weeks and see how it goes
  • LivingtheLeanDream
    LivingtheLeanDream Posts: 13,342 Member
    Cut back on the wine ... it depends on how much you want to be 25lbs lighter.
  • Sheisinlove109
    Sheisinlove109 Posts: 516 Member
    Stop buying it! Put that money into a jar, treat yourself to something else. Amazing how much money we all spend on our vices!