My 90 Day Results and Lessons Learned

Options
hablondi
hablondi Posts: 127 Member
edited March 2017 in Success Stories
Back at the end of December I decided to get a jump start on my weight loss journey. A little history. I have four children. All were high risk pregnancies. Which meant no physically activity while pregnant. All were emergency c-sections. Which meant a long recovery. My last pregnancy and recovery was by far the worse as I suffered from a separated pelvis. You do not realize how important core stability is to everyday life until you no longer have it. I couldn't even get things from the top or bottom shelves in the kitchen cabinets.

I also hit my highest weight with my last pregnancy. I was 189 lbs when I was admitted to the hospital. When I got on the scale six weeks latter, I had only dropped down to 179 pounds. All of this was extremely difficult not only physically, but mentally, as well. I know what it is like to be in great shape. I competed in the Miss America Pageant for seven years and won the swimsuit competition 5 times. No one had ever done that before, I don't think anyone has done it since.

Over the years I have tried many different programs––some gym programs, some at home. I was never able to stick with any of them. I would start off great, but life would happen and I would get derailed. I didn't love any of them and found working out to be a chore. In 2016, I ran two runDisney 19.3 mile challenges, but my weight didn't budge even with all that training. By December 2016, I had only lost 20 pounds in the two years since having my daughter.

Fast forward three months and all of that has changed. Since recommitting on December 20, I have consistently exercised 6 days a week. I have logged my food nearly everyday. The results? I am down 13 pounds and 7 inches. I have lost 3 in my waist and 2.5 in my hips. The rest came from arms and thighs (didn't lose in my chest, yeah!).

So what made the difference? Well, first, I committed, I mean really committed to making it happen this time. I took a good, long look at myself in the mirror and admitted how unhappy I was with how I looked and felt and decided I didn't want to live like that anymore.

Second, I found a workout program that I LOVE!. Now, don't laugh when I tell you what it is. I have been doing the original Firm workout tapes. Yes, I said tapes. I bought 18 VHS tapes for $20 on eBay and a $7 VCR from the Goodwill. I love all things vintage and I call these my "vintage' workouts. Lots of 1980s big hair and high cut leotards. But they are hard. Seriously, Volume 1 will put any crazy BeachBody workout to shame. I still can't get through the leg segment at the end without stopping because I have hit complete failure. The Firm was definitely ahead of its time. In a day and age when Jane Fonda and Richard Simmons were focusing on lots of cardio and aerobics, The Firm realized the importance of weight training and incorporated it into every workout. I committed to doing their Original 90 Day Rotation and didn't let anything keep me from doing that day's workout. No excuses. Find something you love to do and commit to doing it consistently and you will see results.

Third, I stopped thinking I had to eat 1200 calories a day! I calculated my TDEE minus 20% and have been eating that. I weigh and measure everything. I allow myself to have treats. I eat the same dinners that I prepare for my family. Nothing is off limits as long as it fits. No containers. No approved food lists. No points. This is a way of eating I can stick with for the long haul.

I made these 1940s style pants for myself in October. They fit absolutely perfect. This is me in them today. They definitely don't fit anymore!

4tdrfmdpfay1.jpg

For the first time, I actually believe that I can do this. My goal is to not look like I used to look when I competed. My goal is to look even better. I want to be stronger and healthy, especially as 40 is fast approaching in May. I want to set an example for my daughters of not just health and wellness, but also of setting a goal and putting in the hard work it takes to reach that goal.

Thanks to all the regulars on these forums, as well. Your posts have guided and inspired me over these past three months! Hoping that mine can do the same for someone else.

Replies

• christinedlg50
    christinedlg50 Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    Thank you for sharing! I needed your post!
  • lilawolf
    lilawolf Posts: 1,690 Member
    Options
    I am laughing...but WITH you! Good for you for finding what works (and for cheap too!) and sticking with it. Good for you :)
  • starfruit132
    starfruit132 Posts: 291 Member
    Options
    I am very impressed especially with the fact that you can find time to sew with young kids, working out, cooking, etc! Congrats and great inspiration.
  • Laviegurl25
    Laviegurl25 Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    What does TDEE stand for?
    You are doing great!
  • PeachesNcreamgal
    PeachesNcreamgal Posts: 357 Member
    Options
    Awesome progress!! Great determination!

Wow a Miss America contestant?!!! :o:)
  • Sixel
    Sixel Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    Great job!

If you need someone to adopt those pants, let me know. :smiley:
  • hope516
    hope516 Posts: 1,133 Member
    Options
    What does TDEE stand for?
    You are doing great!

Total Daily Energy Expenditure....

• vampgirl76
    vampgirl76 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Love your post! Sometimes we need to see the end results sometimes. To see that it can really be done. I really have a hard to at motivation. Other than the more obvious reasons to be/get motivated. Do you have an other things that can get you motivated?
  • MistyinTN
    MistyinTN Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    Great job and thank you for inspiring me!
  • birdtobe
    birdtobe Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    GREAT WORK!
  • STLBADGIRL
    STLBADGIRL Posts: 1,693 Member
    Options
    This is awesome. And yes, I am laughing at the VCR and the tapes, with big hair. But that's what works for you and that's great. Thanks for sharing.
  • betaCancri
    betaCancri Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Hi! I can't believe you are doing the Firm workout!!! I was just thinking about those tapes - they successfully helped me lose weight and get in shape in the mid 90's.They were great! Loved them, and might just give it a try again too! Thanks for sharing your story-4 difficult pregnancies and deliveries. Your resolve to not make your and your families life something that has no resemblance to what you want. Your story inspires me. My profile pic is from may 2014...I was 60# thinner. I should change it....my story is different from yours. I made a huge move in June 2015, and have put on lot's of weight since that time. They say it takes about 2 years after a major life change like moving to a different country and starting your life over, for the depression to lift, and where you start feeling like yourself again. I have been trying to deal with the anxiety of change and compounded weight gain from a purely "lose weight-body image" perspective. This has not worked for me. I've decided to approach it from a mental health-healthy lifestyle choices in all areas of my life now. Sleep, daily activity, meditation, macro/micro nutrient rich foods, acceptance and kindness to myself and others at all times, forgiveness...This journey is for the long haul.

All the best to you
  • betaCancri
    betaCancri Posts: 2 Member
    edited March 2017
    Options
    I forgot to add that I did buy a Fitbit and love it. It motivates me to keep moving..
  • LuckyNumbers
    LuckyNumbers Posts: 208 Member
    Options
    My mom looooooved The Firm workouts, and I remember her doing them when I was in middle and high school. I wonder if she still has those laying around somewhere ...
  • RedsGirl73
    RedsGirl73 Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    Amazing story! Thanks for sharing!
  • hablondi
    Options
    Sixel wrote: »
    Great job!

If you need someone to adopt those pants, let me know. :smiley:

I might be gifting them to my mama, but if they don't fit her, I'll let you know :)
  • hablondi
    Options
    vampgirl76 wrote: »
    Love your post! Sometimes we need to see the end results sometimes. To see that it can really be done. I really have a hard to at motivation. Other than the more obvious reasons to be/get motivated. Do you have an other things that can get you motivated?

Hi! I have been thinking a lot about your question and why this time has been different from all the others. Here are some things that I came up with.

In the past, I have jumped into programs with a "quick, easy, fix" mindset. When I choose to do The Firm 90 Day Rotation, I knew it was going to be hard. Like really hard. But for some reason, that motivated me more than the other things. I wanted to prove to myself that I could do it.

I believed in my workout and diet plan. I believed that if I just weighed and counted everything and just did the next workout, I would see results. If you doubt your plan, you will be less likely to stick to it.

I saw quick results. The Firm has a "visible results in 10 workouts or less" guarantee and it lived up to its promise. I took pictures on my first day and then took pics at the end of each week. I am sooooo glad that I did this. Some weeks, the scale seemed to be stuck, but I was able to look at the photos and see the progress. The most dramatic changes came in the first few weeks and that was very motivating.

I created an inspiration board. I found motivational quotes on pinterest and photos of patterns that I have wanted to make for years but haven't because I wasn't at "goal weight yet and printed them out and put them in my planner. I made sure to look at it everyday so that I would remember my why.

I came here everyday. There was something about coming here everyday and reading posts that helped me to keep on track. It reminded me that I wasn't a special snowflake and that if I put in the work, I would see results. I also found a community of people who love The Firm (on Facebook) and checked in with them everyday.

I hope that helps! Good luck with your weight loss journey. You can do it!

• c50blvdbabe
    c50blvdbabe Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    I too am a FIRM believer. And yes they were light years ahead of their time. So glad to see that you are focused on the using what works for you, especially when we're bombarded with the next best quick fix that turns out to be a waste. I'm in the FB Firm group as well. Look forward to motivating and chatting with you over there.
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!