Bikes/Biking

Options
Hello everyone. I really want to try outdoor bicycling since it seems much more fun then riding the stationary bike in the gym, but have no idea what type of bike to get. My outdoor biking will be limited to mostly pavement or soft dirt trails. Also, any advice on a comfortable seat and some good biking pointers? True novice here. Thanks.

Replies

• vwfrog
    vwfrog Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    Hey, thanks for asking the question! I was wondering about bikes, too!
  • RDTaylor13
    RDTaylor13 Posts: 160
    Options
    your best bet for getting the best advice on a bike for you. would be to talk to a local bike shop. (don't go with a department store, they won't know much.) the bike store staff, will have a better idea of what you need/want. since they deal with bikes on a daily basis.
  • tkcasta
    tkcasta Posts: 405 Member
    Options
    A hybrid bike is good for leisure biking and works on road and for light trail riding. That's really your best option for all around biking. You can get them at really good prices too, but make sure you go to an actual bike shop.
  • skinnybearlyndsay
    skinnybearlyndsay Posts: 798 Member
    Options
    I bought a mountain bike, which works well on any surface. I had to buy a new seat, though, with a wider butt to accomodate all that I have down there. If you go to a bike shop (I went to Performance Bikes) they'll be able to listen to what you want and help you find it.
  • amymeenieminymo
    amymeenieminymo Posts: 2,394 Member
    Options
    I love biking...I have a better bike now, it's a hybrid (part road bike, part mountaine bike) but I started with a Target mountaine bike for $100. I would suggest starting there, you can always upgrade to a nicer one once you decide that you really like it and will get your money's worth (my new bike was $400, but the hardcore cyclists spent upwards of $1000).

I like the gel seats that you can also buy at Target, but when you're not used to riding a bike, there will be some discomfort no matter how nice of a seat you have....unless you get once of those bigger seats.

Definitely give it a shot, sure biking is a great work out, but most of the time I have so much fun it doesn't feel like I'm working out. It's waaaay better than a stationary bike.
  • bassettpig
    bassettpig Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    your best bet for getting the best advice on a bike for you. would be to talk to a local bike shop. (don't go with a department store, they won't know much.) the bike store staff, will have a better idea of what you need/want. since they deal with bikes on a daily basis.

Yes, absolutely. You might find a "bargain" at Wal-Mart but chances are good you won't enjoy riding a heavy, clunky, ill-fitting bike. Get yourself to an actual bicycle store and tell them what you are wanting to do and that you are new to biking. They will be able to show you a number of bike types that will meet your needs in addition to making sure the bike fits you properly. If you want a bike that you love and that you ride often, buy a decent one from a bike store--a clunker that gathers dust in the corner of your garage b/c it is uncomfortable and no fun to ride is no deal!

Also wanted to add--once you have a bike, you may find it's great for those little errands, like to the library, to the grocery store for the lettuce you forgot, that sort of thing. You get some exercise and no pollution is created!
  • swmm28_71
    swmm28_71 Posts: 3
    Options
    Hi. I bicycle on a regular basis. If you plan to make this a regular habit, I recommend you go to a bike shop and tell them exactly what you posted below. They can properly fit you for a bike that will be suitable for the terrain on which you will be riding. You are probably going to want a mountain bike or hybrid. A lot of your enjoyment will depend on how much money you are willing to shell out. If bike shop prices are too steep, you can always ask them for pointers and ask them to size you for a bike, and then go somewhere cheaper. Used bicycles are always an option, as well.

And yes, it is much more fun than a stationary bike! I have a 20-mile paved path near me, and I would ride it every day if I could!

Good luck!
  • ckmama
    ckmama Posts: 1,668 Member
    Options
    I love bicycling, but i always hate the way it made my back and butt feel. Until I found this bike. It is wonderful, worth every penny.

A Townie made by Electra. It is made for street riding. I will never go back to mountain bikes for road riding. These bikes are built at a slightly different angle so you don't lean over while pedaling and your legs are more underneath you then out in front. makes all the difference for me.

http://www.electrabike.com/Bikes/townie-original3i-bikes-ladies-181115

Note it wasn't cheap: $550, but worth every penny

My hubby bought a fancy mountain bike with a tiny seat that cost $700, he never rides with us, because the tires aren't meant for the street.
  • Robyrob33
    Robyrob33 Posts: 45
    Options
    I made the mistake of getting a cheaper bike at a department store. It was a dual suspension mountain bike...DON'T DO THAT!!!
    Go to a bike shop, talk to them, tell them what you want and the kind of riding you will be doing. They will fit you to a bike. You can get a very nice hybrid bike fit to you for $300 to $500. Good Luck!!!
  • CountryDevil
    CountryDevil Posts: 819 Member
    Options
    As someone that just recently got back into biking I can give you this.

1) If you plan on riding on both pavement and dirt trails, you will want to make sure that you have tires that will handle both. Smoother tread if for pavement, nobby/mountain bike tires are road/trail types. Although mountain bike type tires will give you a slightly rougher ride they will more than likely be what you want.

2) Find a bike that fits you. If it does not feel comfortable then it does not fit. Best way to try different bikes out is to support your local bike shop rather than the big box stores.

3) On the topic of local bike shops vs. big box stores like Wal-Mart, if you plan to ride a lot not just once or twice a week for a mile or less, I suggest going with a bike from your local bike shop (LBS) for a better quality bike that comes with support and maintenance options should you need them. Although you will find prices a bit higher at your LBS, most have good prices on used bikes as well that would normally fit any budget.

All in all, no matter what direction you go, take it slow when you first start out. Biking can be fun, but your body also has to condition itself for this type of activity just like any other.

Hope this helps. Good luck!!
  • stenochick0417
    stenochick0417 Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    I started out on a cheap mountain bike and after deciding that I love to ride (rather than be cooped up in a gym -- *shudder*) I upgraded to a nicer bike, but I started out cheap because I didn't want to spend a lot of money on something I wasn't sure I'd consistently do. It's ended up that I ride 4-5 days a week and in the last three months logged 510 miles on my new bike. One thing though, if you plan on riding a lot, I'd recommend getting some padded bike shorts. That was the worst part of beginning to ride for me -- the pain in my backside. You do get used to it after awhile, but the shorts make it much more bearable! Matter of fact, I don't even have any pain in my sit bones anymore on my longer rides (30+ miles) so I definitely recommend them. You can get a decent pair for pretty cheap. I think I got my Canari ones for around $29. They can go up (price-wise) from there but I'd start out cheap at first.

Good luck and I hope you enjoy riding as much as I'm sure the rest of us do. Like I said, sure beats being cooped up indoors. I'd much rather be outside getting my cardio any day of the week. :smile:

ETA: I second what everyone above has posted about going to a local bike shop -- they'll be able to help you select a bike based on your needs and you will be properly fitted for the bike, which means it'll be MUCH more comfortable to ride, which means you'll be more motivated to actually put some miles on it. My cheapie bike I mentioned above? It lasted about a month and a half before I decided I really needed to upgrade. It was an off-the-rack bike (on clearance no less) that was not in any way shape or form fitted for me. Lesson learned!
  • sunshinel397
    sunshinel397 Posts: 262
    Options
    Thank you all for the great advice. I think I will be paying my local bike shop a visit this afternoon! You are all such a big help!:smile:
  • Seanb_us
    Seanb_us Posts: 322 Member
    Options
    Local bike speciality shop is the way to go! Sounds like you want a hybrid bike.

Questions you want to think about are how much do you want to pay, do you want a suspension (it's not expensive to get a front suspension), and how heavy do you want the bike to be (aluminum or chromoly frame).

For example, we shop here: http://www.tollandbicycle.com. My wife has one of these: http://www.giant-bicycles.com/en-us/bikes/model/boulder/7305/44110 (well, an older model).

Things to think about so you are aware of these things before you go chat with the pros.

Cheers,

Sean
  • Bentrain
    Bentrain Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    Your local bike shop is the way to go. The next decision you have to make is the type of bike to purchase. This is a real hard part, to go mountain bike, hybrid/comfort or road.

If you are really looking to get a bike for fitness, I would suggest going with a road bike. As an avid cyclist I see so many people starting out and getting a hybrid and outgrowing it within weeks. If you are looking for something to ride around the neighborhood for 20 or 30 min a hybrid will work for you. If you want to do more than that you should look at a road bike. I know it can be intimidating when you start looking at the road bikes and the cost can make your head spin, but you can do so much more on one.

Just be careful bike riding can be more addictive than crack.
  • aviduser
    aviduser Posts: 208 Member
    Options
    Hi. I bicycle on a regular basis. If you plan to make this a regular habit, I recommend you go to a bike shop and tell them exactly what you posted below. They can properly fit you for a bike that will be suitable for the terrain on which you will be riding. You are probably going to want a mountain bike or hybrid. A lot of your enjoyment will depend on how much money you are willing to shell out. If bike shop prices are too steep, you can always ask them for pointers and ask them to size you for a bike, and then go somewhere cheaper. Used bicycles are always an option, as well.

And yes, it is much more fun than a stationary bike! I have a 20-mile paved path near me, and I would ride it every day if I could!

Good luck!

+1
  • aviduser
    aviduser Posts: 208 Member
    Options
    Your local bike shop is the way to go. The next decision you have to make is the type of bike to purchase. This is a real hard part, to go mountain bike, hybrid/comfort or road.

If you are really looking to get a bike for fitness, I would suggest going with a road bike. As an avid cyclist I see so many people starting out and getting a hybrid and outgrowing it within weeks. If you are looking for something to ride around the neighborhood for 20 or 30 min a hybrid will work for you. If you want to do more than that you should look at a road bike. I know it can be intimidating when you start looking at the road bikes and the cost can make your head spin, but you can do so much more on one.

I am with you until you recommend a road bike. I would not recommend a road bike for a novice rider. Mountain bike, hybrid, maybe even cyclocross, but not road. It requires too much maintenance, it is not forgiving in terms of body weight/size, it is not good for riding on dirt (which the OP said she wanted to do), etc.

Bottom line: Go to your local bike shop. They will help you.
  • atla_moves
    atla_moves Posts: 54
    Options
    Also, it's okay to visit more than one bike shop. When I decided I wanted a bike, I went to like 4.

The first one only sold road bikes, and the staff kind of stuck their noses up at newbies. I promptly left.
    The second sold bikes I was interested in, but the staff vaccuumed the whole time I was there and didn't offer to assist me (it wasn't closing time). I promptly left.
    The third had pretty helpful staff, but mostly sold Treks, and I wasn't ready to buy a bike after only trying one brand.
    The fourth was like an hour away, but the staff was AMAZING, and I tried like 5 different bikes and instantly fell in love with mine. It's a Schwinn World GS (Women's).. a hybrid, and is awesome on pavement and dirt, but I wouldn't want to ride it on rough gravel for extended periods. I love love love it.

Richmond-20110706-00269.jpg

I go to the third store (awesome staff, but just Treks) for maintenance/repair since they're closer than the one I bought my bike at. But I'll never go back to the bike stores where I was treated like crap.
  • cmmull67
    cmmull67 Posts: 170 Member
    Options
    I love biking...I have a better bike now, it's a hybrid (part road bike, part mountaine bike) but I started with a Target mountaine bike for $100. I would suggest starting there, you can always upgrade to a nicer one once you decide that you really like it and will get your money's worth (my new bike was $400, but the hardcore cyclists spent upwards of $1000).

$1k is entry level to avid cyclists. My custom-build was around $2200...

Anyway, a good bike shop can recommend different styles, sizes, and accessories, and many will even help you with your Walmart/Target purchase. Most want your return business, so they won't snub you when you bring in an dept store bike for a tune up or repair. Just remember these local small business folks when you decide to upgrade.
  • Bentrain
    Bentrain Posts: 41 Member
    Options

I am with you until you recommend a road bike. I would not recommend a road bike for a novice rider. Mountain bike, hybrid, maybe even cyclocross, but not road. It requires too much maintenance, it is not forgiving in terms of body weight/size, it is not good for riding on dirt (which the OP said she wanted to do), etc.

Bottom line: Go to your local bike shop. They will help you.

A mt or hybird will only get you so far. and yes road bike's can be intimidating. What I was try to say is that I have seen so many people buy 200 and 300 dollar bikes and wish a few weeks later that they had spend a bit more for a better bike. I know because I took this route also. I started with a Mt bike, then to a road a month later.

Learning gears will be learning gear on any bike.
  • calliope_music
    calliope_music Posts: 1,242 Member
    Options
    i agree with everyone else, talk to a local bike shop! i am more of a "bike for fun with my husband who is a hardcore cyclist" so i have Trek Cruiser. love it!