If you love Halo Top, then you're going to want to read this...

Options

Replies

• need2belean
    need2belean Posts: 353 Member
    Options
    THANKKKYYYYOUUU! I just mentioned this to the husband the other day that I need to figure out how to make this stuff myself so I don't have to keep buying it. 2 pints a week is just too much. I've got bills to pay!
  • MomReborn
    MomReborn Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    <3 I have an old 1970s ice cream maker I was considering giving away. It gets to stay now. Thank you!
  • Strawblackcat
    Strawblackcat Posts: 944 Member
    edited March 2017
    Options
    JenHuedy wrote: »
    crazyravr wrote: »
    Do you know what each of the chemicals (ingredients) does to the mixture? Just looking for ideas why you used what you used so if I cant find something I can maybe try and replace it.

The IMO syrup adds the soluble fiber to the ice cream, and it may help with keeping the texture soft, since bars made with it also help keeping things soft and chewy. It also provides mild sweetness, since a lot of fitness-treats will use it as a low-GI sweetener. The whey protein adds protein to the ice cream and gives the base more body and richness, since it doesn't have the fat & cream that most ice creams do. I think that powdered milk could work as a substitute. the erythritol is a sugar alcohol that serves the dual purpose of sweetening without adding any calories, and preventing large ice crystals from forming during churning (essentially, it serves the same purpose that normal sugar does in ice cream). I think that xylitol may also work, but erythritol tends to be more digestable for people in larger amounts. Glycerin helps keep the ice crystals small during churning as well, which prevents it from getting icy and helps keep it creamy. It also adds a bit of sweetness. I used xanthan gum to replace the carob and guar gum that actual Halo Top uses, and they're there to keep everything emulsified and to prevent it from getting rock-hard in a normal freezer. The reason I specified to use vanilla extract instead of vanilla flavoring is because vanilla extracts contain alcohol, which lowers the freezing point of ice cream and can help in keeping it soft. You might be able to experiment with replacing the glycerin for a couple of tablespoons of vodka or bourbon, but you would have to increase the amount of sugar, or add a little Stevia extract or something, to compensate for the loss of sweetness.

Thanks for the explanation! (Somebody must watch Alton Brown and/or America's Test Kitchen!) I have so many ideas for subs if I can't find all of the ingredients... perhaps egg yolk for Xanthan gum... flavored liqueur for vanilla... perhaps a dollop of light corn syrup if I can't find the IMO syrup... I think I've seen glycerin in the cake decorating supplies...

Yeah, Wilton sells glycerin. Like I said, you can also get it at the drugstore (and probably for less money -- Wilton crap is crazy overpriced) It's often used as a humectant in skin care.

I like Alton Brown and ATK, but I can't say that I actually watch either of them that much. I work for a health food store, and all of us at work are pretty adept at reading labels and figuring out which additives are doing what in a particular product. I'm just the one that's the best at actually figuring out how to re-make things and/or figure out how to make natural or allergy-friendly alternatives to popular processed stuff.

Has anybody here ever had those ultra-expensive mini flaxseed brownie bites from Flax4Life? I re-created the recipe for those, too. :)
  • miratps
    miratps Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    Any recepies you have I am willing to try. I am literally going out to buy the one ingredient I am missing from your list for the ice cream (on top of the ice cream maker I bought cos of it!)
  • ladyreva78
    ladyreva78 Posts: 4,080 Member
    Options
    *sigh* Now I'm going to have to go and figure out the name of a whole lot of things in another language (worst case 2, depends on which side of the language divide I'll try my luck first) and whether I can manage to recreate what the ice cram maker does without an actually ice cream maker (don't have 100$ to spend right now).

:tongue:

• kwtilbury
    kwtilbury Posts: 1,234 Member
    Options
    I'd have to eat a ton of Halo Top to go through all of that trouble.
  • kwtilbury
    kwtilbury Posts: 1,234 Member
    Options
    kwtilbury wrote: »

How do you get your Hato Top? Go to a store no? How is this different, except you have to go to a store once of just order all online from amazon.

You're right, there is no difference between the two. I don't know what I was thinking.
  • jenilla1
    jenilla1 Posts: 11,118 Member
    Options

How do you get your Hato Top? Go to a store no? How is this different, except you have to go to a store once of just order all online from amazon.

You're right, there is no difference between the two. I don't know what I was thinking.

LOL! ;)
  • KombuchaKat
    KombuchaKat Posts: 134 Member
    edited March 2017
    Options
    Man I wish, I can't eat Halo Top or anything with sugar alcohols like Erythritol in them. They make me super bloated and um...well it gives me the runs. Unless I'm only going to eat a couple of spoon fulls...and then what's the point of Halo Top then, LOL? I guess my gut bugs just go into a frenzy when they get that stuff, which happens to some people. The whole FODMAPs thing, although I am fine with FODMAP foods like onions, garlic, everything else I think the sugar alcohols are just too much.
    But that's awesome because that stuff is WAY overpriced and if I was not sensitive I would eat it every day! Enjoy!
  • KombuchaKat
    KombuchaKat Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    JenHuedy wrote: »
    I've been thinking about seeing what would happen if I put a protein shake in my ice cream maker. Thanks for doing the research and saving me the frustration! I'm going to hunt down the ingredients and try it myself this weekend!

Interesting perspective, because I guess that's basically what Halo Top is...I could whip up a batch of my favorite protein shake, and throw in the ice cream maker...sans sugar alcohol which causes me issues.
  • miratps
    miratps Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    JoRocka wrote: »
    That looks like entirely way to much work and cost. rather just buy the Halo Top.

Not everyone can buy Halo Top though. Plus if I can make something half decent then I'd be happy that i learnt something new and going forward can adapt it as I experiment.
  • JessicaMcB
    JessicaMcB Posts: 1,503 Member
    Options
    Just had to come back and thank you OP! I had to hack this to make it keto compliant but ice cream breakfast is my business in training, and business is good ;)

liiypqyr75qi.jpg
  • JenHuedy
    JenHuedy Posts: 611 Member
    Options
    Thanks so much for this recipe! It's WONDERFUL!

I started with the original recipe and it was PERFECT (except for me messing up and putting in too much xantham gum, totally my mistake). Only made a couple mods to use what I had on hand. Fairlife 2% milk instead of regular 2% milk and a little extra sweetener & vanilla because I used an unflavored protein powder (MyProtein Smooth Milk Protein Conentrate).

I did start playing around with the recipe for the second batch to figure out how low cal I could go and found that the 2% milk is a must. I tried subbing half almond milk in a coffee flavored version and it tasted was great out of the churn but turned very hard after storing in the freezer. (Noting a few minutes on the counter won't fix).

Can't wait to play around with more variations!
  • enterdanger
    enterdanger Posts: 2,447 Member
    Options
    Man I wish, I can't eat Halo Top or anything with sugar alcohols like Erythritol in them. They make me super bloated and um...well it gives me the runs. Unless I'm only going to eat a couple of spoon fulls...and then what's the point of Halo Top then, LOL? I guess my gut bugs just go into a frenzy when they get that stuff, which happens to some people. The whole FODMAPs thing, although I am fine with FODMAP foods like onions, garlic, everything else I think the sugar alcohols are just too much.
    But that's awesome because that stuff is WAY overpriced and if I was not sensitive I would eat it every day! Enjoy!

I feel your pain and have exactly the same problem. My intenstines are convinced that Erythritol is the devil
  • BedsideTableKangaroo
    BedsideTableKangaroo Posts: 736 Member
    Options
    JessicaMcB wrote: »
    Just had to come back and thank you OP! I had to hack this to make it keto compliant but ice cream breakfast is my business in training, and business is good ;)

liiypqyr75qi.jpg

what hacks did you make? the milk?
  • JessicaMcB
    JessicaMcB Posts: 1,503 Member
    Options
    JessicaMcB wrote: »

liiypqyr75qi.jpg

what hacks did you make? the milk?

The milk, eliminated the sugar because it seems unnecessary given 16g of erythritol, played around with the ratio of glycerin and vitafiber, used 30g of whey (Dymatize Iso 100) instead of 15. Cookie dough mix in is a softened and rolled Kirkland protein bar with 15g of strawberries and 15g of blackberries.
  • mom23mangos
    mom23mangos Posts: 3,070 Member
    Options
    Oh man! And I got rid of my ice cream maker! I think I'm going to have to buy another one. I spend wayyyy too much money on Halo Top. And my neighborhood grocery store never has my favorite flavor.
  • inertiastrength
    inertiastrength Posts: 2,343 Member
    Options
    < This happy Canadian now shopping on Amazon for ice cream makers lol
  • rdmitch
    rdmitch Posts: 278 Member
    Options
    The ingredient I'm missing is the patience to even attempt this recipe. I'm no cook.
    I'll spend the 5 bucks a pint. Halo Top is only mediocre in my opinion so by the time I load it with
    another 50 calories of Hershey syrup it's no longer a super low treat