Losing weight in college

Options
Hello I'm in my 3rd year of college and I have gained so much weight since high school! It's ridiculous and I've had enough! I never make any excuses to not excersice, but Sometimes I'm just too exausted from homework and class to go to the gym. Any other students out there who can relate?

Replies

• jessVanL
    jessVanL Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    I'm starting to think it's impossible
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    Eat less.

Bottom line, you're eating over and above what your body needs to maintain. Cut back enough to be below what your body needs to maintain and you'll lose. Even if you eat in a dining hall and can't weigh your food, you can keep a log of what you normally eat for a week and use it to eat a bit less of those foods next week.
  • size102b
    size102b Posts: 1,370 Member
    Options
    Weightloss is mainly about eating less than your body burns not exercise
    Input your age weight height and sedentary activity eat those calories you will lose weight
    If you start exercising eat 1/2 those calories too
    I'd weigh all foods measure all liquids drinks to get a accurate picture as your new to this
  • haydiz70
    haydiz70 Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    I'm a full-time college student and feel your pain. Some weeks are incredibly stressful. I have finals next week and term papers due, plus other assignments due this week. I'm also a mom and a grandmother. I have very little time and energy left to do anything some days. However, I can almost always fit in at least 30 minutes a day to exercise. It helps relieve some stress. Like others have said though, weight gain and weight loss is mostly about your diet. I've learned not to keep junk food or sugary drinks in the house. I don't deprive myself of some comfort food but I don't need a 12 hour-a-day supply within reach. Ha. Learn as much as you can from these forums, especially the pinned topics and you'll figure out what you need to do and not do. Good luck!
  • STC02
    STC02 Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    I have 3 assignments due this week and next and I've been in a routine now for 9 weeks. My best tips are...

Take 2hrs on Sunday to prep all your breakfasts and dinners (boiled eggs, cereal bars, chicken pasta, tuna salad, thin bagels). Log everything your going to eat for breakfast and lunch on sunday, like barcode everything so it is accurate. High protein snacks such as nuts, chicken legs, pepperamis and fridge raiders is what I use.

And finally make sure your dinner takes less than 30 mins to make! I'm talking diced chicken curry (surprising deficit of calories in a jar of tikka masala), soup, chicken and waffles, steak and boiled veg. I try my best to get to the gym 3 times a week at the moment, but even if you don't just eat less than your body burns and you'll start losing.
    Get into it for 3 weeks and the routine becomes natural
  • readytobeatfat54
    readytobeatfat54 Posts: 91 Member
    edited March 2017
    Options
    I actually lost weight in college. Then when I moved back home I gained it all back, and then some. Why? Because I was walking less, and eating more.

Do you track what you eat on the app? Just do calories in - calories out. You most likely won't be weighing your food, but you can get a good idea of what you are eating nonetheless: eating a sandwich? Then plug in the bread, the slices of cheese, the meat by slice or guestimate on weight. Fries? Put them in by the cup, most places serve ~2 cups per serving unless you go to a fast food restaurant where the size differs depending on what you pay. If you want an idea of how much food fits in a bowl or a glass, take it home and just measure with a filling cup.

The other thing you could do is contact the food services for your college, they most likely do have the nutrition information for what they serve and make it available upon request. It is helpful to get an idea of how to estimate what you are eating, since when we eat out most places don't publish calories, and if they do it tends to vary anyway based on the chef. Nonetheless, if the calorie info is available use it.

Also, don't forget that calories includes food AND drink. Many people forget that alcohol and drinks in any form contains calories.
  • Muscleflex79
    Muscleflex79 Posts: 1,917 Member
    Options
    jessVanL wrote: »

impossible to lose weight while in college? if that is how you feel, just wait til you have job, family, relationship, stress and other adult issues to deal with - it will really be "impossible" then!

Being in college doesn't mean you don't also have a job, and I find most people in college are adults so do have adult issues to deal with. As for stress, being in education is stress central!

my point being - things only get harder from that point on. and TONS of people have managed to lose weight while in college. there is nothing about being in college that prevents you from eating at a calorie deficit.
  • readytobeatfat54
    Options
    my point being - things only get harder from that point on. and TONS of people have managed to lose weight while in college. there is nothing about being in college that prevents you from eating at a calorie deficit.

This is so true.

If he eats in a cafeteria it may be more difficult to truly know how much he is eating, but he can get a good idea. It also allows him to teach himself how to estimate what he is consuming when he eats out, which is valuable knowledge. If he eats at home even better: he can control what he buys.
  • Thopsi15
    Thopsi15 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Hi All. I'm first year but i started gaining in High School. I actually checked my progress from my first MyFitnessPall entry weight to now and I have juat gained weight. So I guess I'm saying I relate but i do think its possible. I have to disagree on weight loss being about eating less: it could work but only in the short run. Ask me i know. I think weight loss is about loving yourself anf choosing to do this because you want to care for your body. I, for example, take bubble baths more often to just love myself. Tubs are super awesome guys
  • deannalfisher
    deannalfisher Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options
    weight loss is ALWAYS about eating less than calories than you burn...its a basic physics equation
  • WafaeGettingFit
    WafaeGettingFit Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    I am in college + full time job. It's really hard especially when exams/homework cramp up. What I find helps is planing my meals ahead of time and prepping food the night before. I keep protein bars in my bag for a quick snack. Working out is a struggle to fit in my schedule, but I try to get in a 30 min cardio workout if I find the time.
  • tinkerbellang83
    tinkerbellang83 Posts: 9,130 Member
    Options
    STC02 wrote: »
    I have 3 assignments due this week and next and I've been in a routine now for 9 weeks. My best tips are...

Take 2hrs on Sunday to prep all your breakfasts and dinners (boiled eggs, cereal bars, chicken pasta, tuna salad, thin bagels). Log everything your going to eat for breakfast and lunch on sunday, like barcode everything so it is accurate. High protein snacks such as nuts, chicken legs, pepperamis and fridge raiders is what I use.

And finally make sure your dinner takes less than 30 mins to make! I'm talking diced chicken curry (surprising deficit of calories in a jar of tikka masala), soup, chicken and waffles, steak and boiled veg. I try my best to get to the gym 3 times a week at the moment, but even if you don't just eat less than your body burns and you'll start losing.
    Get into it for 3 weeks and the routine becomes natural

Great advice except the barcode scanner bit - it's no more accurate than the rest of the database, so worth double checking the info.
  • apullum
    apullum Posts: 4,838 Member
    Options
    If you are able to buy your own groceries and cook your own meals, it's a lot easier to log all of your food accurately. But if you're stuck eating on campus, find out whether your school has nutrition information available for food served in the cafeteria(s). Many schools publish this online or have it available if you ask. You don't have to exercise in order to lose weight. You just have to take in fewer calories than you burn, and in order to do that, it's extremely helpful to log your food as accurately as possible.
  • Icandoit233
    Icandoit233 Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    My first two years of college I gained a lot of weight due to no control at the buffet on campus. Then I started living off campus, and I was able to manage what I ate at home. I was able to get to the lowest weight I have ever been.
  • readytobeatfat54
    Options
    Great advice except the barcode scanner bit - it's no more accurate than the rest of the database, so worth double checking the info.

I find that the scanner is generally reliable, but sometimes the serving size is off. Definitely a good idea to give a quick glance, but if it looks right based on the quick math in your head, go with it.
  • 3rdof7sisters
    3rdof7sisters Posts: 486 Member
    Options
    jessVanL wrote: »

impossible to lose weight while in college? if that is how you feel, just wait til you have job, family, relationship, stress and other adult issues to deal with - it will really be "impossible" then!

Took the words right out of my mouth.
    It is never easy kiddos (from 65 yo perspective)

• lgill1127
    lgill1127 Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    Out of college for nearly 4 years now, and I was actually in better shape while in school for the longest time! I've been working on my fitness and health for the past year and am thinner now than I was then, just takes wayyyy longer once you realize your metabolism has gone down and you're not walking across campus 24/7. I'll just recap my tips from undergrad to keep it simple:

1) I lived on campus 3 years out of 4 and always made time to stop at the on-campus rec center (you pay for it, after all!) after my afternoon classes wrapped up, before dinner or any night classes. I'd usually work out for an hour or two doing cardio and weights 3-4 days a week, sometimes a Sunday morning workout too. During senior year I wasn't using the rec center as often, so I got a cheap gym membership and typically worked out the same amount listed above.

2) Living on campus (or near enough to walk) made it easy to get in extra cardio, as you're walking around from 8am-9pm some days. When you have the option, walk - don't drive! I only ever drove to the grocery store or for trips home. Otherwise, the car stayed in the lot. Better yet - get rid of your car if you don't need it.

3) Make it as easy on yourself as possible to cook. If that means buying pre-chopped veggies and fruit, so be it! Some of my easier meals were whole-wheat frozen waffles topped with nut butter and fruit, or scrambled eggs and toast for breakfast; sandwiches for lunch (whole wheat bread, turkey, 1 slice cheese, romaine lettuce, avocado, sriracha); and typically baked chicken with steamed/roasted veggies or a reasonable size of pasta with tomatoes and turkey meatballs for dinner. Snacks were typically pretzel thins + laughing cow cheese, a string cheese with bell pepper slices, fruit, or veggies and hummus. A lot of these things you can get at Trader Joe's on the cheap.

4) Watch the alcohol. I wasn't a huge partier so this was easy lol. Stick with light beer or vodka+low calorie mixers (club soda, Crystal Light, pick your poison).

Hope you found some of these helpful! The hardest part is just making it part of your routine. Once you've established a new routine and start to feel the effects of eating better and working out it becomes something you WANT to do.