Shakes for breakfast??

Options
Anyone do a shake in am for extra nutrition or maybe to get some veggies / fruit ? Fill up?

Replies

• kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    edited March 2017
    Options
    I make smoothies with milk and fruit, but don't have them for breakfast.
    I get enough nutrition through what I eat without eating anything specific.
    I eat vegetables at every meal.
    I don't eat to fill up, but for pleasure and to restore energy.
  • tinkerbellang83
    tinkerbellang83 Posts: 9,107 Member
    Options
    I use powdered greens (MyProtein Nutrigreens Plus) in the morning in Orange Juice. Mostly because I can't stand the texture of smoothies but it's also given a me a bit of an energy boost first thing when I find it hard to eat anything - I'm not good at early breakfasts, just makes me feel bleurgh to eat before 9am
  • livingleanlivingclean
    livingleanlivingclean Posts: 11,751 Member
    edited March 2017
    Options
    I have no issues eating sufficient fresh fruit and vegies, or meeting my macros (presume you mean protein specifically) without shakes... In fact, I don't eat anything til 1 or 2pm!

I don't find drinking calories particularly satiating or satisfying... I'd rather eat food than drink calories
  • JeromeBarry1
    JeromeBarry1 Posts: 10,182 Member
    Options
    My day works because I have a big breakfast including a protein shake. I follow that with a small lunch and a big dinner.
  • inertiastrength
    inertiastrength Posts: 2,343 Member
    Options
    I usually skip breakfast
  • Lizakabibbis
    Lizakabibbis Posts: 370 Member
    Options
    I tend to eat small meals all day so my first meal is usually a protein shake poured over iced espresso. I get the "taste" of a latte but the protein I need. It's a win win!
  • cathipa
    cathipa Posts: 2,991 Member
    Options
    I only use a protein shake for breakfast on days I'm working away from my home office. Otherwise I prefer to chew my food. Its all about convenience for me.
  • cfritchley26
    cfritchley26 Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    I go to work pretty early in the morning, so I tend to grab a high protein Slim Fast shake. I don't know how great that choice is but it's better than going to the McDonald's drive thru like I used to!
  • DeeBrat1313
    DeeBrat1313 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    yes every weekday morning......protein powder (vegan, gluten free, low glycemic index etc) almond milk, frozen organic berries, sometimes a banana in there too or if I feel like a different flavor I'll through in some organic almond butter with the chocolate flavored powder or a drop of peppermint extract, can also do lemon basil, really the flavors are endless but it keeps me full from 8am until noon
  • CricketClover
    CricketClover Posts: 388 Member
    edited March 2017
    Options
    I do usually 4-6 days a week. I use Vega One which is more like a nutritional powder vs just protein (won't list everything in it), I mix a scoop with powdered peanut butter, cocoa powder, half a banana, and ice.
    838mnjtmt62j.jpg
  • happyauntie2015
    happyauntie2015 Posts: 282 Member
    Options
    I enjoy a smoothie from time to time as breakfast not because I'm trying to sneak anything extra in but because it is what sounds good to me that day.
  • blueeyetea
    blueeyetea Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    I do. I make a smoothie with veggies (with a choice of celery, cucumber, broccoli slaw, kale, spinach, parsley), to which I add some pieces of banana and some frozen fruit, some avocado, protein powder and fiber (chia seeds or flax seeds). I blended it all with almond milk.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,973 Member
    Options
    This time of year, it's too cold for me to start with my fruit & veggie smoothie, so I have a coffee smoothie for bfast and often have the other one for lunch. Because of all the fiber, and the macro ratios, the second one is REALLY filling and takes a long time to drink. It goes back in the frig many times before I finish it. If I still worked in an office I'd use a little portable cooler.

To reduce calories, eliminate the flax seeds - you don't really need both them and chia seeds, unless you are eating them for other reasons, as I am.

dc996f2b934dbe627d0cc41900bd6186.png
  • snickerscharlie
    snickerscharlie Posts: 8,578 Member
    Options
    fascha wrote: »
    I usually skip breakfast

Me, too.

It never made sense to me to eat/drink when I wasn't actually hungry, especially when I was trying to lose weight. :)
  • kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    Options
    When the weather is warmer, I will often have a smoothie for breakfast, as I'm usually a little hungry but can't stomach a "meal". Usually half milk, half water, protein powder, greens, frozen berries.
  • JeepHair77
    JeepHair77 Posts: 1,291 Member
    Options
    I'm really not a breakfast eater, in general. I'm just not hungry in the mornings. BUT my current schedule has me working out at lunchtime, so on those days, I have a protein shake late-morning so I'm not running on empty when I get to the gym. I guess that counts as having a shake for breakfast. Mostly, though, it's just a convenient way for me to get some protein and calories in before I go run or whatever, and then I eat a real lunch afterward.
  • cbelc2
    cbelc2 Posts: 762 Member
    Options
    6 mornings a week: water, plain ff yogurt, walnuts, flax seeds, tahini, cooked greens, piece of avocado, frozen berries, piece of banana. I drink black coffee. Keeps me full till lunch.