Couch to 5k Success?

Options
I live in the Rocky Mountains, about an hour away from Mount Elbert, which is the tallest mountain in Colorado. I'd like to be able to hike it, as it's a relatively easy hike, but I am far from being ready to do that. There are several easier hikes near where I live and I plan to start doing those once it warms up.
The reason I bring up C25K is because I have heard good thing about it's pacing before, but never heard if anybody was successful with it, and I wondered if I could apply those principals to hiking instead of running?
Any hikers, runners, or any other Coloradans with advice? z7ezz2valf9v.jpg

Replies

• curlsintherack
    curlsintherack Posts: 465 Member
    Options
    I used couch to 5k last year to start running. I made it as far as the workout where I had to run 20 minutes straight without stopping to walk. I managed that and realized that the 5 weeks of the program were all that I needed so I quit the program and went on running on my own. I'm not a good runner or a fast one. I run about 10:30 minute miles 3x per week averaging between 16 and 20 miles per week.

I recently hiked up some good sized hills and what I found was that I had the cardio to do so without getting out of breath or when I did to be able to recover much more rapidly than my friends. I did have trouble with the steepest hills climbed though they fatigued different muscles in my legs.
  • spiriteagle99
    spiriteagle99 Posts: 3,683 Member
    Options
    Running will help strengthen your legs and your aerobic capacity, but the best way to train for hiking is by hiking because carrying a pack uses different muscles than running. Also, you'll be hiking at 14,000', which adds to the difficulty. Still, running will help you get fitter and it's something you can do regularly, whereas hiking is usually done mostly on the weekends. Plus you can do it now, while waiting for the snow to melt in June or July. C25k is a great way to start running. It's 3 days a week over about 10 weeks. I suggest walking at least 3 other days a week, to improve your hiking fitness. Walking more will make the running easier too, without stressing the joints and muscles as much.
  • BrunetteRunner87
    BrunetteRunner87 Posts: 591 Member
    Options
    lsutton484 wrote: »
    I used couch to 5k last year to start running. I made it as far as the workout where I had to run 20 minutes straight without stopping to walk. I managed that and realized that the 5 weeks of the program were all that I needed so I quit the program and went on running on my own. I'm not a good runner or a fast one. I run about 10:30 minute miles 3x per week averaging between 16 and 20 miles per week.

I recently hiked up some good sized hills and what I found was that I had the cardio to do so without getting out of breath or when I did to be able to recover much more rapidly than my friends. I did have trouble with the steepest hills climbed though they fatigued different muscles in my legs.

This was sort of my experience. When I first started running I had actually spent months doing cardio on the elliptical so transitioning to running was a bit easier than just starting from the couch. However I took a year off in 2014 and in 2015 I couldn't run a mile anymore so I started C25K. I got maybe a little over halfway through then just went on my own and just added more distance each week.

I'm not sure the same will transfer completely to hiking though. When you hike it's good to be in shape for it but it will also use different muscles.
  • SonyaCele
    SonyaCele Posts: 2,841 Member
    edited March 2017
    Options
    i have used c25K successfully, ran many 5K, and ran a few miles several times a week reguarily. I also hiked long hikes, high altitude hikes etc, and never had an issue with any hiking, i could hike anywhere , i'm sure that is because i was in good shape and toughened up from running.

I had to stop running when i had a bad knee injury a few years ago, but im' planning on starting c25k again in two weeks and planning some big major hikes once i get back in shape.
  • apullum
    apullum Posts: 4,838 Member
    Options
    I started Couch to 5k in January 2015 (short version of the story, anyway; the long version is on my profile). I'm currently training for my third half marathon. It absolutely worked for me and it seems to work well for many people. That's no guarantee that it works for everyone, of course, but I highly recommend it.

In terms of hiking, it depends on what your goals are. I'm able to hike farther and with less difficulty than I could before I started running, but I've also lost a lot of weight, so it's hard to tell how much of that change to attribute to any one thing. C25K will probably help you build endurance and speed, as well as general aerobic capacity, but it's probably not going to help you with climbing hills unless you're running on hills. If you're interested in trail running, that might be more applicable than road or treadmill running to what you want to do. You might also look into strength training to help build muscle, especially for your lower body. You can alternate running days with strength cross-training.
  • SonyaCele
    Options
    if you are in good shape, youre biggest worry will be altitude. make sure and go slow to acclimate, there is not really any way to train for the altitude except to acclimate.
  • Jthanmyfitnesspal
    Jthanmyfitnesspal Posts: 3,522 Member
    Options
    I am a reticent runner who did C25K. I still run, and I always incorporate intervals to keep me interested. I also sometimes hike. I think walking on the treadmill is the way to work up to it, using an incline as you are able. A heart rate monitor may help as well.
  • jennybearlv
    jennybearlv Posts: 1,519 Member
    Options
    C25K has worked for lots of people on here, myself included. I don't think you need to do C25K to hike. I would think doing the activity you want to be good at is usually the best training. But, it could introduce you to trail running, which I enjoy more than hiking.
  • jennybearlv
    jennybearlv Posts: 1,519 Member
    Options
    al9l4zypdjs0.jpg
    This is what I see when I walk or my front door in Northern Nevada. I feel the call of the mountains as well. I plan on getting to the top of that peak this summer, probably a bike and hike journey.
  • SonyaCele
    Options
    al9l4zypdjs0.jpg
    This is what I see when I walk or my front door in Northern Nevada. I feel the call of the mountains as well. I plan on getting to the top of that peak this summer, probably a bike and hike journey.

is that mt rose?
  • BanmoxWriter
    BanmoxWriter Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    SonyaCele wrote: »
    if you are in good shape, youre biggest worry will be altitude. make sure and go slow to acclimate, there is not really any way to train for the altitude except to acclimate.

Hey! The bright side is, I'm regularly at altitude, so that won't be much of a problem :)
  • SonyaCele
    Options
    SonyaCele wrote: »

Hey! The bright side is, I'm regularly at altitude, so that won't be much of a problem :)

that will definitely help!
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Options
    but never heard if anybody was successful with it

I used it several years ago. My preference nowadays is trail marathon and Ultra running.

It works
  • mayafit405
    mayafit405 Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    It works. I finished the program a few years back and felt amazing. I'm back at it again! Week 3 , day 3 :) Give it a shot !
  • ronocnikral
    ronocnikral Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    Running transfers well to hiking, but it isn't 100%. Hiking is my training objective and I spend a fair time running. My running also isn't as good as it could be because I spend a lot of time climbing stairs. I do over 10,000' a week of vert when not in a rest week.

I personally don't like C25k, although it is very popular here. I'd much rather see someone get a HRM and keep control of their HR on a more regular basis than 3x per week. Of course, being honest with yourself and your fitness is key. Taking days off when needed and not getting down is also key. JMO.

Finally, there is a way to train for altitude and it is working your aerobic system. If you want to go to the extreme, pick up House & Johnston's book. Elbert is a pretty easy peak, so you can also go with the majority and make it a 5-6 hour sufferfest.
  • Stella3838
    Stella3838 Posts: 439 Member
    Options
    Not an expert, so don't know if C25K will get you to your goals, but I'm on week 4 and holy crap, I'm running. Albeit, in small chunks of time. But the progressive ramp up to where I am now has been great. I still have weeks to go, but based on my limited experience, I'd recommend anyone interested to try it.
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Options
    I personally don't like C25k, although it is very popular here. I'd much rather see someone get a HRM and keep control of their HR on a more regular basis than 3x per week. Of course, being honest with yourself and your fitness is key. Taking days off when needed and not getting down is also key.

The problem with any online forum is you've got no idea if someone responding has only a few weeks of running under their belt, or whether they're an experienced runner with a significant amount of knowledge, and potentially training as a coach behind them.

As a new runner alternate days is about right in terms of the balance between cardiovascular development and musculoskeletal development.

I would observe that whilst HR zone based training has some merit for athletic performance, it does depend on having a good understanding of ones maximum heart rate, lactate threshold and aerobic capacity. All three of those require either a set of threshold/ maximal tests, or lab based assessment. That's somewhat more commitment than is reasonable for a new runner. Lab testing is expensive, and maximal testing risks injury for a new runner.

• lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    I'm surprised you've never seen a thread in which people shared their C25K successes! I found that C25K helped my walking and hiking and overall conditioning. I suggest that you be able to walk a brisk 45 minutes without stopping before you attempt C25K. Have fun!
  • gianna42
    gianna42 Posts: 5,991 Member
    Options
    I started c25k last June and ran my first 5K in September and did well (finished 3rd for my division). I had tried it many times before and never completed it - I think the key last summer was taking it slowly and not worrying about pace until I completed the program.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,871 Member
    Options
    It's a good place to start and it helped me get in 5K shape. I don't run anymore, but I ride my tail off...I'm in good shape and that definitely helps me when I go on my hikes but the muscles being used are different...I don't really have issues from a cardiovascular standpoint on a difficult hike, but my legs are usually dying the next day.

I live next door in NM at over a mile high...