Job Changes

Options
becky6323
becky6323 Posts: 74 Member
So debating about switching jobs. Phone interview went great last night and in person interview the week of the 27th. Hubby isn't very supportive since he doesn't want to mess with switching insurance again. Nevermind me having to start all over :( So question, what is the process of switching jobs? Will I need to find insurance between jobs or does one end when another starts? How much notice is enough? Who do I notify first? My manager, HR, or? I work in the engineering field. Can I use my vacation after I give my notice or should I use it now? Can I get vacation paid out? Is there a website out there that I can plug in salary, vacation, medical, insurance, profit sharing, etc to compare jobs? Ugg. I've never switched jobs begore. My job changes have always been the result of layoffs.

Replies

• cee134
    cee134 Posts: 33,711 Member
    Options
    All of that depends on your current employer and your new employer. HR should be able to answer most of those. Be careful about asking questions about leaving at your current employers, not all employers are fair and some will out right fire you if they think you will leave. Depends on the company you work for.

Usually 2 weeks notice is good. But some companies have different policies. Same goes with vacations, usually they pay them out.

Don't burn bridges either. You never know if you will be going back to your old employer because something didn't work out with the new one.
  • Just_J_Now
    Just_J_Now Posts: 9,551 Member
    Options
    I would first go on the interview before "jumping the gun". You might not even want the other job or even get it. But assuming all goes well, I would at least give 2 weeks notice and definitely tell your manager first. They'll inform HR. As far as vacation and all that other stuff, it depends on where you work and their policies, your tenure etc. I'm sure your HR department will help with all that during your exit interview.

Good luck!
  • becky6323
    Options
    Oh don't worry. Not saying anything yet. I had a different interview with another company last year and kept it hush hush. Unfortunately they canceled the project so no one was hired. So there isn't one set way. All depends on the company. :( Wish there was one way so I knew what to expect. So manager first? Or head of engineering?
  • acorsaut89
    acorsaut89 Posts: 1,147 Member
    Options
    I agree that you should have something in writing (like a contract) before even considering talking to anyone. I switched jobs earlier this year but I had an offer at the beginning of December. I kept it quiet for about 3 weeks before I gave my two weeks notice. Most of the questions you have - if you get the job - will be able to be answered by your new HR/current HR.

Let the interview happen . . . and go from there. Don't worry about things that may not happen just yet . . . you'll spend a lot of good energy on it when that energy should go towards rocking that interview :)
  • becky6323
    Options
    I carry our family insurance. He isnt offered insurance through his employer. He had a massive heart attack and 4 stents placed last Feb and is currently on 9 different meds including an injectable that is over $1000/shot every 2 weeks and it's not possible to stock up. We just switched insurance through work Jan. 1 which required phone calls back and forth to the specialty pharmacy and new copay cards. Well, this new shot they put him on is only $5/shot and he doesn't want to have to fight to go through with switching again and getting everything straightened out for delivery and everything. I admit, it is a massive headache. Also with 3 kids age 2-5 and his blood thinners and his physical job, we can't go a day without insurance.