What foods are high in protein?

Options
Lara_z
Lara_z Posts: 94 Member
I've being reading threads on here and people are saying eating enough protein can help feel fuller for longer.

I really struggle to eat healthy and eat a lot of junk.
Like today I went shopping and ended up buying shortbread biscuits, cheesecake, vienesse
Swirls, doritos.
So far I've already had half a bag of Doritos and a slice of cheesecake.

I find when I am trying to eat healthy I am always hungry again within half an hour. For example I'll have some chicken pasta with lots of veg and salad and feel full. But within an hour, I feel hungry again.

So what sort of foods are high in protein that I can eat?

Replies

• livingleanlivingclean
    livingleanlivingclean Posts: 11,751 Member
    Options
    Crickets.

I think they're pretty rad, google might have some better suggestions!
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    Meat: cow, chicken, fish, turkey, etc.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    Fish, Chicken, beef, pork, eggs and egg whites, greek yogurt, cottage cheese, other low fat dairy
  • gabby3265
    gabby3265 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    eggs, oatmeal, milk, almonds

what i do, i eat little portions through the day.. mostly snacks since i dont have enough time at work to sit down and eat, mostly i eat like oatmeal bars, bananas, frozen fruit, all that can help to dont starve yourself and make it harder on you
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    Chicken has a lot of protein. Are you trying to eat low fat?
  • sammyliftsandeats
    sammyliftsandeats Posts: 2,421 Member
    Options
    http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10247171/carbs-and-fats-are-cheap-heres-a-guide-to-getting-your-proteins-worth-fiber-also

The linked post has a spreadsheet you may find helpful. Jot down a list of foods from the spreadsheet to take with you to the shops and buy a few items that you are interested in.

Might help you save some money too.
  • EdR55
    EdR55 Posts: 174 Member
    Options
    3oz lean beef!!!!
    154 calories
    48% daily requirements of PROTEIN in 2000cal diet
    41% Selenium
    37% B12
    33% Zinc
    25% Niacin
    20% B6
    19% Phosphorus
    17% Choline
    12% Iron
    10% Riboflavin
  • Sunna_W
    Sunna_W Posts: 744 Member
    Options
    Paleo is high protein/fat and low sugar/carb. There are a lot of websites out there with free recipes/shopping lists. Also there are a few products out there like konjac/Glucomannan powder that when added to foods (like smoothies) that cause the smoothie to "gel" and it does the same in your stomach, making you feel fuller. You can even make your own low carb / low calorie Shirataki Noodles at home with it. Also check out websites that discuss sugar cravings as a symptom of candida. A good probiotic will help that. Finally - AVOID walking down the middle of teh store -- stay along the walls where the meat, dairy, and fresh veggies are. :)
  • sammyliftsandeats
    sammyliftsandeats Posts: 2,421 Member
    Options
    EdR55 wrote: »
    3oz lean beef!!!!
    154 calories
    48% daily requirements of PROTEIN in 2000cal diet
    41% Selenium
    37% B12
    33% Zinc
    25% Niacin
    20% B6
    19% Phosphorus
    17% Choline
    12% Iron
    10% Riboflavin

Wouldn't 3oz of lean beef (85/15) be 22g of protein? That's not a whole lot for a 2000 calorie diet.

Guess this all varies on cut and how 'lean' is lean. *shrug*
  • ericpiccione
    ericpiccione Posts: 44 Member
    Options
  • STC02
    STC02 Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    Don't go shopping hungry.
  • livingleanlivingclean
    Options
    4dpe6ewy855a.jpeg
    jo0hqkov55ls.jpeg
    15j2g02xh6jf.jpeg

There are no such things as "free foods".... If you eat limited amounts, not counting may be ok, but if you're like me an easily eating 1-2kgs of these things a day, not counting is definitely not the way to go!
  • ericpiccione
    ericpiccione Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    4dpe6ewy855a.jpeg
    jo0hqkov55ls.jpeg
    15j2g02xh6jf.jpeg

There are no such things as "free foods".... If you eat limited amounts, not counting may be ok, but if you're like me an easily eating 1-2kgs of these things a day, not counting is definitely not the way to go!
    The whole premise behind "free" is the low calorie high fiber, I agree that nothing is free but if you eat a pound 100 cals of broccoli, your body burns almost the same or over with the fiber amount to basically offset it
  • livingleanlivingclean
    Options
    4dpe6ewy855a.jpeg
    jo0hqkov55ls.jpeg
    15j2g02xh6jf.jpeg

The whole premise behind "free" is the low calorie high fiber, I agree that nothing is free but if you eat a pound 100 cals of broccoli, your body burns almost the same or over with the fiber amount to basically offset it

I would have starved to death in that case.
  • markrgeary1
    markrgeary1 Posts: 853 Member
    Options
    Some of us eat animals. Do you?
  • cross2bear
    cross2bear Posts: 1,106 Member
    Options
    Its very difficult to eat in a more healthy fashion (however you define that) if you are sabotaging yourself by buying what you know are foods that are not going to get you to your goals. Theres nothing inherently wrong with what you bought, but if those are your trigger foods, or foods that you cannot control yourself around when they are available, by buying them you are really just shooting yourself in the foot.

You have to make a commitment to do everything you can possibly do to get you to your goals - are you really doing that, or is it a half a s s e d effort right now? If so, you know what you can do to improve. Dont kid yourself, you are only hurting yourself.

Higher protein selections include meats, fish, eggs and some plant based proteins like lentils, some grains, and things - look on Pinterest or google high protein diets, or high protein meals, I am sure there are lots.

Good luck!

• dunlol
    dunlol Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    chicken pasta should have enough protein for a regular meal. If that's not enough, any of the following have "high protein content" but may also be high in other stuff like fat or carbs: lentils, tofu, cheese, yogurt, beans, nuts, fish, eggs, meat etc. The list goes on, google is your best friend, and you may either not be eating enough, or have a thyroid issue.
  • CycleCoast42
    CycleCoast42 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    nuts, seeds, lentils
    Google food protein sources
  • CorneliusPhoton
    CorneliusPhoton Posts: 965 Member
    Options
    Meat - Chicken, fish, beef, pork, turkey
    Eggs
    Cheese
    Greek Yogurt
    Tofu

Start planning your meals with a serving of one of the above, then add vegetables and starches and whatever you want. Enter your meals into your MFP food diary before you eat them, so you can see where you might want to add or take away. Nuts and seeds are a good source of healthy fat, but they also have some protein, it all adds up. Beans are usually a good source of fiber, but they also have some protein as well.