Running a 5K before the years end

Options
Hi there,
I just wanted to get even more excited about running a 5K on Oct. 10
http://www.imaworldhealth.org/?option=com_content&view=frontpage&Itemid=91
I ran a couple of 5k's in the past, many years ago.

Are you running a 5K before the end of the year?

Reply and let's support each other.
Thanks

Replies

• CaptainMFP
    CaptainMFP Posts: 440 Member
    Options
    I'm training to do my first on August 27...a trail run by Lake Tahoe. I'll send a friend request!
  • laeckloff
    laeckloff Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Never ran a 5K ever! Signed up for one on Sept 10th! Nervous, how am i going to sleep that entire week for the race? Any suggestions to getting rid of those pre race jitters?
  • photorific
    photorific Posts: 577 Member
    Options
    I'm training to do my first on August 27...a trail run by Lake Tahoe. I'll send a friend request!
    Funny - I'm signed up for my first on Sept 3 at Kirkwood! :happy:
  • alissaanne
    alissaanne Posts: 34
    Options
    I am training for my first one ever and it is on October 22nd. I am a very inexperienced runner and somewhat out of shape but my goal is to be able to jog it without stopping!! Good luck to you on your adventure!!
  • kathleengoggins
    Options
    I'll be running a 5 K August 13th. I run 2 a year. I also run the turkey trot on Thanksgiving. In fact it is always a goal that I look forward to. I jog about 2 times a week outside at least 3 miles. Even slow running. I am now walking brisklly as well at least 3 times a week no less than 4.5 miles. It is a real workout.. Good luck on your runs guys...
  • KeriA
    KeriA Posts: 3,275 Member
    Options
    I am doing Week 5 of C25K and plan to do a 5K in late September. I am just giving it a week or two to feel really confident about how this running program is going first. Didn't really plan on the 5K at first but I think this is a great goal for me given the effort I am putting toward running more. The walk I do 2-3 times a week is just about 5K long so just recently I have been running more and more of it since I heard that adding running intervals is very effective. So far so good.
  • slim_photographer
    slim_photographer Posts: 310 Member
    Options
    Never ran a 5K ever! Signed up for one on Sept 10th! Nervous, how am i going to sleep that entire week for the race? Any suggestions to getting rid of those pre race jitters?
    For the jitters they are inevitable, just be prepared and set yourself a modest realistic goal for that day. Don't try to break any records or anything. Don't feel bad because other guys are much faster just enjoy it as much as you can. Take plenty of pics and share your success with as many people you want, even invite them to the event.
  • lmaharj
    lmaharj Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    I'm running two: Aug 28th and Sept 19th. My daughter is doing the kids 1/2 mile before I run though. She's 3.
  • photorific
    photorific Posts: 577 Member
    Options
    ...be prepared and set yourself a modest realistic goal for that day. Don't try to break any records or anything...
    Someone once told me a good goal is to "not be last". :laugh: Yep - that's pretty much my goal.
  • lmaharj
    lmaharj Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    I am doing Week 5 of C25K and plan to do a 5K in late September. I am just giving it a week or two to feel really confident about how this running program is going first. Didn't really plan on the 5K at first but I think this is a great goal for me given the effort I am putting toward running more. The walk I do 2-3 times a week is just about 5K long so just recently I have been running more and more of it since I heard that adding running intervals is very effective. So far so good.

I wish I had a cool phone that would allow me to do that :( I still live in ancient times with my phone.
  • RMinVA
    RMinVA Posts: 1,085 Member
    Options
    No 5k's, but a sprint tri, a 10k and a 10 miler, all within 4 weeks!! WHEW!! And hoping to fit in a half marathon before the end of the year.
  • slim_photographer
    slim_photographer Posts: 310 Member
    Options
    No 5k's, but a sprint tri, a 10k and a 10 miler, all within 4 weeks!! WHEW!! And hoping to fit in a half marathon before the end of the year.
    Excellent! very inspirational. I hope to run the Rock and Roll next spring here in DC
  • RMinVA
    RMinVA Posts: 1,085 Member
    Options
    Excellent! very inspirational. I hope to run the Rock and Roll next spring here in DC

I had no idea that they added a RR half to DC. SWEET!! I usually target a half at that time of year...maybe that will be the one!!
  • jessradtke
    jessradtke Posts: 418 Member
    Options
    I've signed up for one in September, but I'm trying to decide on a couple of others.
  • daddyssunshyne
    Options
    I walked my first 5k earlier this month, and plan to do more in the near future. In September, I plan to do two of them the same day. One for diabetes, the second for autism-both which directly impact my family.

Sarah
  • AmyEm3
    AmyEm3 Posts: 784 Member
    Options
    I ran my first 5k on the 4th of July. I'm doing another one in mid August and one in early October.
  • laeckloff
    laeckloff Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    My goal is to make it to the finish line without stopping. Remember start slow then taper!
  • KeriA
    KeriA Posts: 3,275 Member
    Options
    There are apps for C25K but I don't have a data plan either. I sometimes use my watch or the timer on my phone. But there are also podcasts if you have an iPod.

I like those goals of not being last and making it without walking. That is where I am at too.