Always planning but never doing

Options
jennyannenguyen160884
jennyannenguyen160884 Posts: 3 Member
edited March 2017 in Motivation and Support
Help!
I'm addicted to planning my weight loss but always fail to actually begin. I spend hours creating low calorie meal planners and exercise schedules, but I am yet to actually follow any of them. I understand that this is something I need to address for myself but I wondered if anyone out there also had the same start. Any insight as to what it was that actually clicked and got you motivated to begin? I have all of the tools to succeed (maybe too many??) but there is just something holding me back. There is always an occasion that seems to slip me up (a party this weekend and then a family meal the following week). Any advice on making that first move and how to not let general life get in the way is greatly appreciated :/

Replies

• tapwaters
    tapwaters Posts: 428 Member
    Options
    Follow through is the hardest part, do you make plans to start tomorrow or to start right now?
  • jennyannenguyen160884
    Options
    It's always tomorrow, maybe even next week depending on plans!

• jennyannenguyen160884
    Options
    That is absolutely me!! I've pretty much already convinced myself that I will not get to goal and so have an almost why bother attitude, despite the fact I feel miserable in my current skin. I will try the new attitude of 6 good days/1 bad day is better than 7 bad because at the moment I'm the opposite. I definitely think that 1 bad day will ruin any progress and so never begin. I will start now and take each meal as it comes, making good choices as much as I can. My all or nothing attitude seems to be what's possibly holding me back!
  • cory17
    cory17 Posts: 1,397 Member
    Options
    Call it "NO EXCUSES". I do best with significant motivation, last year did a dietbet so had $ riding on it, that motivated me to start/stick with it. Now am back at beginning again as well. Think about the emotional side to it, what or how does eating reward you or bring relief. Or is this a reaction to boredom or procrastination. Or is this how your family socializes? What are the rewards, consequences both ways? I think people all do better with a carrot in front and something poking us out of the rut.
  • marie9910
    marie9910 Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    I will try the new attitude of 6 good days/1 bad day is better than 7 bad because at the moment I'm the opposite.

I'd say this is the right idea but think of it as 6 good choices and 1 bad choice is better than 7 bad choices. Thinking of it only in terms of days could lead to the mindset of "Well, I've already messed up today, so I'll forget about making healthy choices until tomorrow." Take it decision by decision.
  • pamfgil
    pamfgil Posts: 449 Member
    Options
    I found the best way to do this is start slow, change one thing, then wait at least a month before making the next change
  • GrayRider61
    GrayRider61 Posts: 337 Member
    Options
    https://goo.gl/photos/BpqG6dPGNfJdgxJLA

I love motivational quotes. Just get started and have fun with it.
  • Lizzy622
    Lizzy622 Posts: 3,705 Member
    Options
    I only plan 5 days (Monday-Friday or Sunday-Thursday). Try sticking to a 5 day plan first. Also make the plan with the intention of sticking to it. Don't pick foods that are complicated or difficult to make or that you don't like to eat. Once you do it a few weeks it gets easier.
  • samuelgina91
    samuelgina91 Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    Just start. One itty bitty step forward. Like more water, and less sugary replacement not water alternatives. There that is step one. Start. Go. Do it. Yes you can.
  • jen_092
    jen_092 Posts: 254 Member
    Options
    I agree with the above! ^

It's interesting to me, because I study a theory in school called the stages of change or transtheoretical model. Behavior change is not as instant as we'd like to think. First you have to contemplate it, do some planning (which you are). Then action, and maintenance.

So next try doing some preparation. Sign up for a gym class, you'll probably go since you've signed up. Buy the ingredients for your recipe, you'll probably make it if you keep seeing the ingredients in the pantry. Buy new gym sneakers if they are needed, things like that. People move between stages in all different kinds of ways, not always linearly, and not all at the same speed. Keep up the good work you've done already by acknowledging you want to make change. To be honest, that's the hardest part, and the fact that you are having some hesitation between preparation and action is fine. You got this!
  • YAMIFAT81
    YAMIFAT81 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Hahaha. I can relate to this!
  • secondtimearound03
    secondtimearound03 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    I feel like I was reading something I wrote! Like you said, I spend SOOOOO much energy planning making cute little charts and it would work and I still don't understand why I can't stick with it. I love structure but I feel like if someone else challenged me to follow it, it would work but I don't have anyone that would be strict enough for me. I'm half way to being on track and I've been 'planning' weight loss since July of 2016.... seriously frustrating but I'm happy I'm not the only one that does this!
  • CovetedRebel
    CovetedRebel Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I do the exact same thing! I'll literally spend a week planning and then just keep procrastinating
  • cgvet37
    cgvet37 Posts: 1,189 Member
    Options
    Plans are nothing without execution. Focus on doing, and the rest will fall into place.
  • MomReborn
    MomReborn Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    I like to think of the weight loss journey as being similar to Bloom's Taxonomy:

dwfxssiw425q.jpg
    Creative Commons credit: Vanderbilt University Center for Teaching
    https://cft.vanderbilt.edu/guides-sub-pages/blooms-taxonomy/

Learning phases are not linear, and many of us are more creative than others. Creativity is where many of us accidentally start with, and become stuck on. We want to create workout routines, and diet plans. That would be great, except, we haven't learned what our bodies need, and how they react. We haven't established any sort of baseline, or stuck with anything to move forward through the learning process to get to this point.

You can easily start today, just by writing a simple note after you eat or workout. How many calories did you take in/burn? Try using the MFP tools. We all need to take baby steps, and simply get into the habit of just being mindful. If we are willing to learn, and just jump in, we can finally see some progress :)
  • tapwaters
    tapwaters Posts: 428 Member
    Options
    gebeziseva wrote: »
    Then try not planning at all.
    Wake up, weigh your breakfast and log it.

Yes.