Alternate Day Fasting... Have you done it?

Options
13»

Replies

• leo10021
    leo10021 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    I've tried this in the past and while I initially got great results, I wouldn't recommend it as a long term strategy. I was in a place at the time, primarily motivated by vanity, and didn't have my health as the #1 underlying reason for doing this.

I was doing the 5:2 diet, where on Mondays and Thursdays I would eat <~500 calories, and on remaining days of the week, would eat between 1500-2000 (normal). On the 500 days, I would eat 2 eggs with some goat cheese for breakfast, and some chicken and veggies for dinner, but I would get extremely hangry and unable to function at my highest level on those days. On the "regular" days, I would get in a pattern of bingeing and undoing any "progress" made from previous days. It's also worth noting that on the "fasting" days, there would many times be work lunches/dinners/events where it would be literally impossible to say no, or to try and explain why you are fasting and still be seen as a sane person.

I quit about 4 months in, after having lost 15lbs (on an already decently lean/athletic frame), when my cycle stopped coming. As a 29 year old female who hopes to have at least 1-2 biological children one day, any risk to future fertility wasn't one I was willing to take for a few vanity pounds, and the screwiness that it can have on your hormones.

There are indeed a number of studies out there that show a link between fasting and improved longevity (among other health metrics), but to my knowledge, all of the studies were done on middle aged men (as is too unfortunately common in the research industry), and not specifically women of childbearing age. We are different creatures.

Glad to chat privately more about my experience though if this is something you are considering.
  • Staci64
    Staci64 Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    That's what I'm doing now, it works for me. On the days I stay under 500, I eat mostly eggs. I follow a low carb woe for 8 mos now and had hit a stall in weightloss. I started intermittent fasting mainly cause I'm not a breakfast person so it made it easy. So I still do it as well. I only eat from noon-8 pm everyday and every other day I stay under 500 and under 8 carb. On my "feast" days I still do low carb but don't care what calorie count is. I do stay under 30 net carb. I eat a ton of food in that 8 hour window on the feast day which ties me over pretty good on the fast day. My diary is always open if anyone wants to friend me and see what I eat.
  • felineart
    felineart Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Hello everyone. I'm interested in trying this diet. I just had one question. On your fasting day, do you still workout?
  • rhiawiz57
    rhiawiz57 Posts: 906 Member
    edited March 2017
    Options
    *follow up note*

Eating 500 calories is totally hard! I did not make it through the day. (Fail.)
    That said, I still want to try... I will try the 5:2 diet. Seems like it's less challenging than the EOD.

I think there is an active group in the community that follows it and I could use the inspiration.

the first week or so is hard but it gets easier i promise! i've been doing 4/3 (almost every other day), with 500 cal low days and 2000 high for 3.5 weeks and I've lost 10 lbs! I've even had calzones, fried chicken, quesadillas, beer on some of my days and I'm still losing. i love it!!!!!!!! don't dismiss something after only a day or two!

yes, i still work out on fasting day and so do a lot of people. no problems at all.
  • endlessfall16
    endlessfall16 Posts: 932 Member
    Options
    felineart wrote: »
    Hello everyone. I'm interested in trying this diet. I just had one question. On your fasting day, do you still workout?

I do but I keep an eye on my performance. Like today which is a light meal day for me I'm going to play an hr of competitive tennis with my friend. I've had only a coffee this morning but I had a decent size dinner last night. It's not possible to have any adverse effect.

I could perform physically much better if I was to load up on carbs prior but it's not necessary since my gym going friend is already having a hard time keeping up. I need this one hr workout to create a deficit.

Track your performance and eating over time and have some ideas.
  • lutzsher
    lutzsher Posts: 1,153 Member
    Options
    Yes, I have tried it along with every other weight loss suggestion or gimmick out there. I have found that what works for me is eating consistently, eating a good balance of micro nutrients, and eating cleanly within my calories every day. Depriving leads to bingeing so I leave enough calories each day for my square of dark chocolate and never deprive myself. I eat 3 meals per day and sometimes a snack if im hungry. Eating less that 1200 calories in a day did not provide any better results, in fact it just made me grumpy and tired. Eating cleanly and consistently I lose weight consistently too.
  • rhiawiz57
    rhiawiz57 Posts: 906 Member
    Options
    here is the intermittent fasting group for whoever is interested. http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/49-intermittent-fasting
  • trigden1991
    trigden1991 Posts: 4,658 Member
    Options
    filbo132 wrote: »
    Hello.

Have you heard of this style of eating? The book I read a few years ago is called "The Every Other Day Diet" (Krista Varady). There are other publications out there that teach the same concept: eat about 500 calories a few days a week (every other day per the book I read, but there are some methods that require only 2 days of this) while eating somewhat freely the rest of the time.

I know, I know. This sounds unconventional. However, I have found a fair bit of people claiming it works well for them. It's said to be highly effective for weight loss as well as improving general health, and many find it more achievable than traditional daily dieting.

Have you tried it? Are you doing it now? What version (5:2, EOD, UDDD...) What challenges did you encounter along the way?

Just curious!

It only works because they are in a caloric deficit. If that's something you would enjoy to do, go ahead....however, the trick to losing weight is to be under your maintenance calories which many still don't grasp that concept.

I have posted this elsewhere and I'll post it here again edqxjrs2jopi.jpg

This is golden!