Retired physique athlete on a mission to lean down again

Options
Zzyzx6
Zzyzx6 Posts: 4 Member
I'm new to this app in the social sense. Can we add each other as friends to track progress?

I was a competitive female physique athlete for 12 years, also a powerlifter among other sports. I'd come from weighing 267 in high school to competing at 170 on stage, usually 210 in the "off season" - at 6' tall and 18% bf, this is pretty lean. Then a few injuries and surgeries happened, along with serious scale avoidance, and high stress job... while it looks different, that high school weight has crept back up.

Time for change!

I'm feeling good, consistent with cardio and diet last 11 days and starting to feel like my old self! I have to ease back into weights, and adding reformer Pilates back in the mix too. Finally going slow enough to not get another injury, knock on wood!

I'd love to find some friends to create a motivation group. Perhaps there's another athlete out here? Also if you have nutrition or training questions, I've also been a prep coach w great results and am happy to help.

Thought I'd share a tip from bodybuilding prep days: do your cardio first thing on an empty stomach. Coffee or a caffeine tablet and one aspirin (as long as those things are ok w your Dr. - those on blood thinners can't take aspirin obviously, and those who have diabetes may need a physician's guidance) will enhance fat burning, and going on an empty stomach takes advantage of your fasting state when your glycogen stores are low. This was always my first line of attack in competition prep! A neoprene waist trainer can help too - the water loss seems psychological, but the effects of skin tightening thru temp water loss can help shrink skin as we shrink.

I'm down 1.5 lb in 11 days... a slow start, but progress none the less. Some of us are like that - you'll either hold or gain weight when starting due to muscle increase from new workout requirements... don't get frustrated! I have to remind myself of this when my naturally lean husband can drop 9 lb in 3 days... lol.

Replies

• caroldavison332
    caroldavison332 Posts: 864 Member
    Options
    Does adding butter or coconut oil to your coffee undo the fat burning?
  • livingleanlivingclean
    livingleanlivingclean Posts: 11,751 Member
    Options
    You might want to research fasted vs fed cardio. You might find advice has changed since your bodybuilding days.

And waist trainers? Really?
  • teresakerekes1966
    teresakerekes1966 Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    add me as a friend if you would like. My husband was an NPC judge for years. I did one BB comp in 1996. Never have really been as lean as I would like to be though. I too am taking it slow and steady this time. My BF is about 27 now and I would like to be no higher than 21% and see how I look. My lowest I was at 16% except when I competed. Not sure I can get there again but would love it if I could. Our family is fitness and nutrition minded too so sticking to this isn't a problem but I get concerned if I can really lean out again.
  • usmcmp
    usmcmp Posts: 21,220 Member
    Options
    Many competitors now don't bother with fasted cardio or with neoprene waist trainers. Both can actually negatively impact the workout, which means that 1% edge you might gain turns into a deficit because you can't push your body as hard or as long. There's a lot of good science out there that you might be interested in, especially if you are still a prep coach.