Swimming?

Options
I'm looking to add some cardio to my strength training. I hate. Hate running and treadmills. I was thinking of doing swimming. 20
Minutes maybe 3x a week. I assume that is good. But is it also effective to do laps doing a breast stroke My form for regular swimming is not very good.

Replies

• lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    Any stoke is good and the more you swim, the better you'll get. The Y and other places offer adult swim classes to help you improve your strokes & learn new ones. Have fun!
  • deannalfisher
    deannalfisher Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options
    What about cycling?

I swim as well - it's typically my rest/recovery day workout - my 3000yds swimming tonight was abt 350cal burn
  • earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    Options
    HvymetalMG wrote: »
    I'm looking to add some cardio to my strength training. I hate. Hate running and treadmills. I was thinking of doing swimming. 20
    Minutes maybe 3x a week. I assume that is good. But is it also effective to do laps doing a breast stroke My form for regular swimming is not very good.

I swim breast stroke and it has been a very effective workout for me (rotation issues in my shoulder). Swimming is great for a total body workout. I have a waterproof IPod shuffle and I just zone out doing my laps.
  • MonkeyMel21
    MonkeyMel21 Posts: 2,394 Member
    Options
    Swimming is great. Personally, I don't get in the pool if I can't get in at least 40 minutes. Lately I've been doing 60 minutes. I alternate between front crawl/breast/back. Maybe you could experiment with your other strokes to get more comfortable if you want to switch it up. There's a swimming group too if you want to join!
  • HvymetalMG
    HvymetalMG Posts: 93 Member
    edited March 2017
    Options
    Cool

I'm going to test the waters. Pun pitifully intended.

• GrumpyHeadmistress
    GrumpyHeadmistress Posts: 666 Member
    Options
    I swim 2.5km four times a week. Takes me about an hour. I'd recommend a waterproof MP3 if you're going to do serious time as it staves off the boredom.
  • beerfoamy
    beerfoamy Posts: 1,520 Member
    Options
    I may have to look into waterproof music. :)
    Used to be able to do 2.5km no worries. But boredom has started creeping back and now 2km is a good day! Usually do 1km or a mile and call it quits. :s
  • jjpptt2
    jjpptt2 Posts: 5,650 Member
    Options
    Swimming is a fantastic exercise, but what are you hoping to gain from it? I find it to be a great compliment to many other exercises (lifting, running, etc) when used as a means of recovery.
  • earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    edited March 2017
    Options
    beerfoamy wrote: »
    Used to be able to do 2.5km no worries. But boredom has started creeping back and now 2km is a good day! Usually do 1km or a mile and call it quits. :s

I bought my IPod from AudioFlood (bought on Amazon). great customer service and I really like their earphones which have a very short cord. I clip it onto my goggle strap and have no cords dangling anywhere. I change up m y music every once in a while to keep it fresh and I can do my 2 miles without getting bored. I've been thinking of trying audiobooks now that I figured out how to do a straight playlist instead of shuffle
  • beerfoamy
    beerfoamy Posts: 1,520 Member
    Options
    earlnabby wrote: »

I bought my IPod from AudioFlood (bought on Amazon). great customer service and I really like their earphones which have a very short cord. I clip it onto my goggle strap and have no cords dangling anywhere. I change up m y music every once in a while to keep it fresh and I can do my 2 miles without getting bored. I've been thinking of trying audiobooks now that I figured out how to do a straight playlist instead of shuffle

ooh books! that'd be awesome
    (oh and side note: bleh Apple! haha)
  • GrumpyHeadmistress
    GrumpyHeadmistress Posts: 666 Member
    Options
    earlnabby wrote: »

ooh books! that'd be awesome
    (oh and side note: bleh Apple! haha)

A plug for underwater audio who also sell on Amazon. They've also got a kick starter going for an android device that's waterproof if apple isn't your thing.