Do you use the Calories you burn?

Options
Hi I'm trying to lose weight, just wanted to know if you are meant to use the Calories you burn through Exercise? Some say Yes and others No, want to be doing this correctly. I exercise 3/4 times a week and roughly burn around 500/600 per workout. I'm currently on 1280 a day without the extras. What do you all suggest. Thanks.

Replies

• RuNaRoUnDaFiEld
    RuNaRoUnDaFiEld Posts: 5,864 Member
    Options
    What type of work out are you doing and how long for?
    What weight and height are you?

I eat my calories back as years of tracking has shown me I can. I started eating back 50% and then adjusted that by my weight lost or gained over 6 week periods.
  • gataman3000
    gataman3000 Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    You should eat them back, your weightloss will be slower but the risk of cheating becomes smaller.
  • kq1981
    kq1981 Posts: 1,098 Member
    Options
    I eat at least half. If I'm going out I'll excersise early on in the morning so I've got extra calories for that night
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    Ask yourself why would they be added in the first place if you weren't supposed to eat them.
    Your goal is 1280 + exercise calories.

Then second question would be how would you ever be able to maintain your weight when you get to goal if you don't account for a legitimate calorie need of your body.

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/818082/exercise-calories-again-wtf/p1
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,885 Member
    Options
    When I was on a mission to lose weight, I ate about half my calories back.

When my weight loss slowed as I neared my goal, I started eating most of them back ... especially on days when I do a lot of exercise.
  • sweetpea813
    sweetpea813 Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    I use them for a cushion. If I'm hungry, I'll eat. If I'm not hungry, I leave them. But I'm at 1600 calories a day. I would eat them if I was at 1280.
  • tinkerbellang83
    tinkerbellang83 Posts: 9,136 Member
    Options
    I eat all of mine now as I'm fairly confident my calorie burns are accurate as it's reflected in my weight loss rate, but 50% is a good starting point if you aren't too sure. Weigh in at least weekly and you should be able to see if your weight trend correlates to the loss you're expecting from your MFP settings. If you're losing more than expected at the end of 4 weeks, eat more of your exercise calories and if you're losing less, eat less of your exercise calories.