Fitness Trainers or Nutritionists?

Options
CurvyPrincess66
CurvyPrincess66 Posts: 84 Member
edited March 2017 in Health and Weight Loss
I just wanted to talk to a few women who are Fitness Trainers or Nutritionists. I Just have theses doubts that I'm not doing enough. First off I have Pcos. Ill start with my diet. My calorie goal is 1660 but I eat around 1200 a day. I am on a vampire schedule I a sleep from about 8am till 3pm I wake up and have 14oz of green tea, my vitamin and a Benefiber packet. I then have Brussel sprouts or a half an avacado with tuna for breakfast/lunch. Iater in the evening I have dinner usually fish, chicken or stake and a veggie or a salad. Then I have 14 oz of green tea with ither ginger or mint around 11:30 then I'm down at the gym by 12. After my workout I have a protine bar and a few hours later I have fruit. Sometimes I'll have have a slice of bread with jelly or something​ small around 6am. I am trying to keep my carbs low but I have no idea what my % should be. For my workouts I only have access to a treadmill and a exercise bike. I started doing 45 min on the treadmill but have been doing 60 min on the exercise bike the last 3 days and 20 on the treadmill. I also do circuit training and some small weights I have 2 pound weights. I worry I'm not working enough muscles. I also worry I'll have alot of extra skin at the end of my journey. I am losing 2 pounds a week but I don't know if I'm doing the right things. I have a fit bit and I figured out how to figure the difference between calories in and out. I guess I need advice and some re assurance.

Replies

• CurvyPrincess66
    Options
    If you get private messages they'll likely be from people trying to sell you things.

Ask your questions here and there are many people with the knowledge to help you.

I edited my post :)
  • KateTii
    KateTii Posts: 886 Member
    Options
    The amount of carbs you eat doesn't really matter that much. You have minimums for protein and fat, because they are essential for health - otherwise, how much you want to eat is up to you.

I would recommend eating more calories. You are not eating much and exercising a lot - it isn't good or sustainable long term. Your goal should be that, a goal.
  • CurvyPrincess66
    Options
    Sometimes I do eat more but I act as tho 1200 is my goal. I have lost 17lb so far and my goal is 40 by August 80 by Christmas and 150 total. I started at 314 pounds and I'm at 297 now and I'm on day 45 I sometimes have a problem being hungry and binge eating but it's not bad since I only have healthy foods on hand.
  • VintageFeline
    VintageFeline Posts: 6,771 Member
    Options
    Is 1200 your gross? You really need to be eating more if you're exercising. That would explain the binge eating. By eating more you are preventing that from happening, you're hungry because, well, you're hungry!

And as you are losing at a bit of a fast rate then it would appear carbs aren't an issue for you as they can be for some with PCOS. The focus should be on protein, fat and fiber but there's nothing wrong with carbs. I focus on protein and let everything else fall where it falls.

In short. Eat more. Focus on protein. Keep on trucking.
  • CurvyPrincess66
    Options
    Im not really sure what gross calories are. I don't eat back any that I burn. I only ever binge eat when I don't workout
  • VintageFeline
    Options
    Gross is total calories including any burned through exercise. So at 1200 calories with no extra eaten from exercise you are undereating. Potentially by an alarming amount.

You say you have a problem being hungry. And if that's happening on non-workout days then you may be someone who experiences appetite suppression immediately after working out, I do too. But if I don't eat those calories that day you can sure as heck believe I'll eat them the next day because I too will be starving.

Your body needs enough fuel for basic bodily functions, that's what your 1200 will do. Where is the fuel for exercise coming from?
  • CurvyPrincess66
    Options
    Like what I eat before I work out? I just drink tea right before. I eat dinner around 9 when I have stake it's between 4 and 7 oz depending on how hungry I feel. I have protein shake powder and I would blend it with a banana and PB2 powder but I don't use it much cuz the taste and consistency can be hard to handle. I take a vitamin and fiber supplement. I don't ever feel like I don't eat enough. I don't eat carbs and my diet is mostly plant based. I kept things on hand like strawberries, blueberries, grapes, cantaloupe, avacado, brussel sprouts, cheese, almond milk, broccoli, bananas, cucumbers, spinich, carrots but I don't like them, cherry tomatoes. Sometimes I get sliced turkey, coliflower, shrimp, squash or eggs. I have considered Carnation instant breakfast.
  • VintageFeline
    Options
    No, calories. You have zero fuel for calories. Your body uses calories just for bodily functions and processes, 1200 is the floor for that and to get in your nutrition. It leaves no calories (fuel) for exercise.

Say you burn 400 calories at the gym. You have to subtract that from your 1200. That leaves 800 calories for basic daily bodily processes. Not even close to enough. This isn't about what you eat and when, it's about calories, full stop, end of story.

And whilst you may feel fine now and even for a while, I can guarantee at some point you won't. Hair loss, brittle nails, the body turning to lean mass/muscle for fuel, you heart is a muscle.
  • cheryldumais
    cheryldumais Posts: 1,907 Member
    Options
    I have lost 73 pounds on roughly 1200 calories a day. It took me a year and I have another 20 to go. I can't seem to get that to budge probably because I have been on the lowest calories you can eat for too long. Be very careful of eating too little because they are right it is hard to keep it that low forever. At your starting weight I can totally understand you are anxious to get to a normal body weight but honestly if you are patient you will be much happier over the long haul. What makes MFP different from all the other plans is you are building a permanent eating plan. Make sure what you do is something you can stick with.

I admire you for working out so diligently. Those habits will help you keep going. Why not bring your calories up a bit and then as your weight declines you can lower them down slowly. It might slow your loss slightly but you have a ways to go. You need to be able to keep at this and you also need to be able to lower things down as your weight declines. If you start at the lowest calories you have no where to go. Trust me I know what I'm saying as I have painted myself into a corner at this point. It's very hard to keep eating 1200 calories when the scale stops moving. When I was losing I thought I could eat at this level the rest of my life. Right now it's a lot harder because I'm not seeing any progress.

Hang in there and congratulations on your loss so far!
  • vickyrose94
    vickyrose94 Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    I completely agree with @VintageFeline !
    First off you should think of your daily calories as a bank balance or whatever. Say you are working and make $1,200 a day. If you work any extra you would make more. You restart every day at $1,200 so money can't be carried over. Would you spend only that $1,200 or would you spend the entire amount you made? Also, would you rather buy things that were fulfilling or things that brought you happiness initially but left you regretting the choice?

You are eating pretty healthy but you should also be eating more. Try for 300 calorie meals with 150 calories in snacks 2 times a day for the 1,200 a day. If you workout daily and need more try to make those meals 400 calories and snacks around 200 twice daily.

With your working out, cardio is good but if you don't want your body to be skinny with no tone I would suggest lifting more weights or doing something for body weight workouts if you don't have access to weights. I've tried BBG by Kayla itsines before and that would be good for working out your muscles!