Just started jump rope exercise!!!

Options
Its been 5 days since i started my jump rope excersice to lose fat. Im about 168cm height and 104 kg weight. Been trying to do 30 second jump per set around 60 times jump. I been doing 30 sets daily. Trying to build my endurance so i can jump more than 1 minute. Any advice, tips or maybe warning on my jump rope activity??

Replies

• thelovelyLIZ
    thelovelyLIZ Posts: 1,227 Member
    Options
    Jump rope is so deceptively hard! I was a professional theatre artist for years and we did Legally Blonde right when I was out of college, which has an entire number where the whole ensemble is jump roping while singing. We made them do 10 straight minutes of jump rope at the beginning of literally every rehearsal while singing to get them in shape for it- and most of these folks were dancers so they were already in pretty good shape!

Just keep at it! Not much advice beyond that but it's a super underrated exercise!
  • DancingMoosie
    DancingMoosie Posts: 8,619 Member
    Options
    I can jump rope(hop in place) without a rope just fine, but I tend to trip and feel awkward with the actual rope, lol. Doing small bursts is good to start to work your way up to longer intervals . I used to rebound, try adding 1 min to each interval per week.
  • mgalovic01
    mgalovic01 Posts: 388 Member
    Options
    I found the rhythmic pattern, and concentration involved with jumping rope to be a great stress reducer. It be killing my feet and calves though. Also, I have no room to do it inside the house. Might try it in the garage.
  • Sara1791
    Sara1791 Posts: 760 Member
    Options
    Looks so easy, feels so hard. I'm trying to get the hang of "double unders" and there's a chance it'll kill me. Today in the gym, a woman about my age (45) was flying with her rope, doing tricks and all. I was so jealous, but it was enjoyable to watch.

I've improved some just by continuing to do it. Gradually make your intervals longer by a few seconds (or by a few jumps if you prefer to count that way) and/or your rests shorter.
  • MelanieCN77
    MelanieCN77 Posts: 4,047 Member
    Options
    Be mindful of your surface. I do it outside in the yard sometimes and extended sets start to hurt my shins because of the stone underfoot. I will invest in a square couple feet of those foam tiles maybe.
  • singletrackmtbr
    singletrackmtbr Posts: 644 Member
    Options
    Use your wrists to keep the rope moving. The rest of your body should stay quiet. Make sure you don't lock out your knees and hips, as it's a lot of impact in a short period of time.
  • txchics
    txchics Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    Just got me a rope and I look a fool trying to jump, lol. Hopefully I'll get better. Geez it's hard!!!
  • Azdak
    Azdak Posts: 8,281 Member
    Options
    Just pace yourself. Jumping rope is relatively high intensity and high impact. It makes for a great conditioning exercise, but, like running, you can overstress joints and soft tissue if you do too much too soon.