Can Hunger Masquerade as Thirst?

Options
pinuplove
pinuplove Posts: 12,874 Member
People here are often told that thirst cues can be misinterpreted as hunger and lead to overeating, but is the opposite true? I stay well hydrated, plenty of pee breaks, pale urine, yada yada yada. Water is my main drink, maybe one tea a day or very occasionally a (regular) soda. Artificial sweeteners are a headache trigger for me, so I generally avoid 'flavored' zero calorie waters. I consider myself lucky that I like it just fine plain. No additional caffeine, and I'm not on any medications. Desk job. I just can't figure out why I feel thirsty when there's no physiological reason that I can pinpoint! If I drink much more, I might have to move my computer to the office bathroom and work from there :tongue:

Replies

• tabletop_joe
    tabletop_joe Posts: 455 Member
    Options
    Same here. I don't have a bunch of sodium and only have one coffee in the morning, but I'm thirsty a LOT, even drinking tons of water.
  • dfwesq
    dfwesq Posts: 592 Member
    Options
    Not sure about the answer to your question, but be sure to mention this to your doctor. Excessive thirst can be a symptom of other conditions.

Reading your post, I think you may have done this - just wanted to point that out just in case. And for anyone else who might be reading this thread who might not have done it. :)
  • mcraw75
    mcraw75 Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    Do you feel thirsty, like dry mouth and lips but drink a ton of water? Either the foods you are eating are causing dry mouth or could be something medical.
  • pinuplove
    Options
    dfwesq wrote: »
    Not sure about the answer to your question, but be sure to mention this to your doctor. Excessive thirst can be a symptom of other conditions.

Reading your post, I think you may have done this - just wanted to point that out just in case. And for anyone else who might be reading this thread who might not have done it. :)

Good point! I don't recall being thirsty like this before I started tracking calories. My blood sugar has always been perfect. But there's a first time for everything.
  • caroldavison332
    caroldavison332 Posts: 864 Member
    Options
    Have you recently change your diet and exercise routine? I'd give it a few weeks to balance out. And yes thirst is a sign of diabetes and other disease.
  • rsclause
    rsclause Posts: 3,103 Member
    Options
    Apply for life insurance that has a big payout and they will give you a very extensive blood test. I also find that the more water I drink the more I want. I don't go anywhere without my HydroFlask anymore. For those of you that have never had one a HydroFlask will keep ice & water cold all day while sitting on the front seat of my truck in the summer.
  • SafioraLinnea
    SafioraLinnea Posts: 628 Member
    Options
    Excessive thirst is something to talk to a doctor about. Healthy body is so important and medically cleared of any issues is important for successful fat loss.

My own opinion is that it's unlikely thirst means hungry. I get thirsty when my micronutrients are imbalanced (mostly excess salt) or when exercising or when my hormones are changing for my monthly, but I try to ensure an appropriate for me water intake in general.
  • JeepHair77
    JeepHair77 Posts: 1,291 Member
    Options
    How much water are you actually drinking? Is your thirst causing you to drink a LOT of water, or do you just really like it?

Water is my main drink, too, and once I got used to it, I find that I just crave it. I'm refilling my Yeti all day, and it's not that I'm thirsty, exactly, in that my mouth and throat feel dry. I just really like icy cold water.
  • pinuplove
    Options
    JeepHair77 wrote: »
    How much water are you actually drinking? Is your thirst causing you to drink a LOT of water, or do you just really like it?

Water is my main drink, too, and once I got used to it, I find that I just crave it. I'm refilling my Yeti all day, and it's not that I'm thirsty, exactly, in that my mouth and throat feel dry. I just really like icy cold water.

I seem to average 65 to 80 ounces per day (most likely more, I just get lazy tracking after I know I've had 'enough') I know I'm not dehydrated, my lips aren't dry, but my mouth feels dry like you said.

It's time for my checkup anyway so I'll request some basic bloodwork and mention it to my doctor. I'm not overly concerned at this point, just perplexed! I'll try keeping water around to just sip on through the day.
  • megd44
    megd44 Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    I also drink around 80 ounces per day. a lot of it has to do with the climate I am in - dry desert. It may be your environment as well. Office heat, air conditioning, etc. I never go anywhere without one of my water bottles. Even sleep with one on the nightstand and husband and i will sip it when we wake up at night.
  • fbchick51
    fbchick51 Posts: 240 Member
    Options
    Yeah.. I wouldn't be too concerned, so long as your sipping on the water, not chugging it. I have issues with dry mouth from past tobacco use and can't handle not taking a sip of something for more then 30 mins. But when I talked with my Dr, she wasn't too concerned with my 100 - 120 ounces a day so long as I sipped instead of chugged.