Runners - have you ever?

Options

Replies

• 4righteousnesssake
    4righteousnesssake Posts: 276 Member
    Options
    That guy probably has problems of his own and is just trying to deflect.

This is truth.
  • leadslinger17
    leadslinger17 Posts: 297 Member
    Options
    That really sucks that it happened to you, just ignore it though. It's awesome that you are out there getting your miles in. I've never had that happen but some bad drivers and poorly secured dogs have almost got me. People can be asshats.
  • AmyOutOfControl
    AmyOutOfControl Posts: 1,425 Member
    Options
    And honestly although people yelling is annoying it's just words. My biggest worry/pet peeve in terms of safety as a runner is folks who turn right without looking left/in front of them for pedestrians or see me but don't yield the right of way in the crosswalk and come close to hitting me. I've already been clipped once by someone turning right.

This. I was clipped at a crosswalk once. Someone was too busy looking at their phone while stopped at the stop sign. They just went through the crosswalk without looking to the left. After hitting me, they stopped for two seconds with a panicked look -- and then took off like a bat out of hell! They did not even check to see if I was okay. Stupid person. I am completely paranoid running through crosswalks now.

Just ignore the verbal diarrhea of *kitten* screaming at strangers in the street. Feel sad that they don't have anything else better to do with their life.
  • AmbitiousButRubbish
    AmbitiousButRubbish Posts: 246 Member
    Options
    Sorry that happened. Happens too much unfortunately. I usually run with headphones in so I can't hear anyone around me. Best advice is to chalk it up to terrible people being terrible because they can be terrible without consequences. Use it as fuel for the fight.
  • KimJohnsonsmile
    KimJohnsonsmile Posts: 222 Member
    Options
    That comment has nothing to do with you, and everything to do with the jerk who was yelling. Some people need to make themselves feel better by belittling others. Deep down you know that. The people in your life that care about you are the ones that matter. Don't give that creep the satisfaction of even thinking about him one little bit. Let it roll off your beautiful shoulders and know that you are running for you and no one else. Keep trucking, sister!
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    And honestly although people yelling is annoying it's just words. My biggest worry/pet peeve in terms of safety as a runner is folks who turn right without looking left/in front of them for pedestrians or see me but don't yield the right of way in the crosswalk and come close to hitting me. I've already been clipped once by someone turning right.

You and me both......even when I have my flashing light etc people can be pretty oblivious.

OP don't let them get you down, people who do that are pathetic little excuses for humans and are probably more deserving of pity than anger. I've only had a few clowns make comments in the past decade and they invariably drive pick up trucks with oversize tires, I just smile and wave....
  • erikfarrar
    erikfarrar Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    jakicooke wrote: »
    How do others deal with this? Im feeling really quite upset now - yes i was running (or attempting to) and yes Im fat but Im really not a *kitten*!!!

seriously why would someone ever feel that they could shout such things?

You deal with it by smiling congenially back and showing them that you're not perturbed. And you ignore it. And you feel sad for that person. The thing they want most is for their provocation to work; if you're not provoked, you've just ruined that moment for them. Take heart in that, and then come here and vent, like you have, among people who support you.

Some people a complete wankers.

Oh and by the way - Looking at your profile pic, you're not fat.

Whether you're fat or not, I'm going to give you mad props for taking your health and fitness into your own hands and squeezing in a lunch run. You're doing better than, like, 80% of America.

Honestly, I hear anecdotes of out-of-shape people being afraid of going to the gym because of all the fit people there. I'm in pretty good shape, so I'm probably one of those intimidating-looking ones, but I'm going to support anyone willing to make that effort. It's not easy. Everyone belongs in the gym. Or outside running. Or doing whatever they like that helps them towards their fitness goals.

ritzvin wrote: »
    Cycling- we'll sometimes get stuff like that (rural redneck areas). Running (city)- usually encouragement/thumbs-up and catcalls.

I've had people threaten to run out and push me over. I dunno, some people are just dicks.
  • lilawolf
    lilawolf Posts: 1,690 Member
    Options

This. I was clipped at a crosswalk once. Someone was too busy looking at their phone while stopped at the stop sign. They just went through the crosswalk without looking to the left. After hitting me, they stopped for two seconds with a panicked look -- and then took off like a bat out of hell! They did not even check to see if I was okay. Stupid person. I am completely paranoid running through crosswalks now.

Just ignore the verbal diarrhea of *kitten* screaming at strangers in the street. Feel sad that they don't have anything else better to do with their life.

If I don't make eye contact, I don't go in front of anyone. I don't trust anyone to have any sense or awareness... Sad but true.

As for OP, hes just an ahole letting his ahole flag fly. Can you imagine how awful of a life he must have? All of the negativity.... shakes head... meanwhile you're over here doing awesome and making healthy choices. You're fine. He's not.

I've only been shouted at once (that I heard anyway). In the deepest voice imaginable, this guy grunt/yelled "nice *kitten*!" from a passing truck. It made me jump then chuckle then keep going.

Speaking of more positive things to yell, I'm always tempted to yell a "way to go" at runners. I know I would appreciate it when I'm huffing and puffing along, but I know that some people don't want to be bothered/acknowledged or always turn things negative like "is she just saying that, because she thinks I'm a whale who needs the encouragement???" What do you guys think?
  • WhitneyDurham777
    WhitneyDurham777 Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    I have had this happen to me tons of times. It still is a bit unnerving sometimes. My sister has had a homeless man punch her in the back of the head while running. It is amazing the thought process of some individuals. It is funny though when I am in the mountains and I pass someone. It almost always seems like there are encouraging words or at least a friendly hello.
  • ritzvin
    ritzvin Posts: 2,860 Member
    edited March 2017
    Options

Where I am isn't bad for that..it's a high pedestrian area, so the drivers are pretty conditioned to watch for pedestrians and cyclists. The cyclists, on the other hand, blow through the stop signs on the long side streets at full speed - I have a blinking light vest instead of just a reflective one because of a few near misses with them. And the drivers could sometimes be a bit more cautious when exiting the traffic circles on Richmond.

edited to add:
    The suburbs, on the other hand: yeah, I've been clipped by drivers making right turns on red.
  • pondee629
    pondee629 Posts: 2,469 Member
    Options
    " I'm always tempted to yell a "way to go" at runners"

I usually, while on a run, will just give another runner a little wave or nod. Most respond in kind, some just ignore. Something I picked up as a motorcycle rider. I usually "don't hear" crap yelled by others.
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    People are stupid and that comment says a lot about the speaker and NOTHING about you. The only comments I've received are people wishing they could do what I do, and I'm a VERY SLOW runner!
  • leadslinger17
    Options
    I always plan on the driver doing the stupid thing... roll through the stop sign, ignore the fact that I have the flashing crosswalk sign, etc. It leads to a wasted second or two while I wait for them to physically gesture for me to go, but safety is more important.
    lilawolf wrote: »
    Speaking of more positive things to yell, I'm always tempted to yell a "way to go" at runners. I know I would appreciate it when I'm huffing and puffing along, but I know that some people don't want to be bothered/acknowledged or always turn things negative like "is she just saying that, because she thinks I'm a whale who needs the encouragement???" What do you guys think?

I kind of agree... I always just keep it to myself because I think they will either not hear the actual words just that I'm yelling something and assume I'm being rude, hear and assume I'm being sarcastic/condescending, or just not want attention drawn to themselves whether it is positive or negative. Or if the runner in question happened to be female that I'm being a creep.

• fit_chickx
    fit_chickx Posts: 571 Member
    edited March 2017
    Options
    I'm sure that shook you up. What a negative worthless guy. Negative people don't define you. You define who you are. A running bad @ss!

Just read a statistic online. Runner’s World magazine survey found 43 percent of female runners experience harassment. The article is frightening. A female runners GPS shows her brutal attack.

foxnews.com/lifestyle/2017/03/14/joggers-fitness-tracker-documented-her-brutal-attack-on-run.html

• The_Enginerd
    The_Enginerd Posts: 3,982 Member
    Options
    I usually run with headphones in so I can't hear anyone around me.

You want to have situational awareness and be able to hear someone coming behind you. Running with one earphone or earphones that don't block out ambient noise (e.g. Yurbuds) if you listen to music is recommended.
  • leadslinger17
    Options
    But I do want to give encouragement especially when I think it is too cold/rainy/early/ etc to run and then I see a runner out there.
  • ritzvin
    ritzvin Posts: 2,860 Member
    Options
    fit_chickx wrote: »
    I'm sure that shook you up. What a negative worthless guy. Negative people don't define you. You define who you are. A running bad @ss!

Just read a statistic online. Runner’s World magazine survey found 43 percent of female runners experience harassment. The article is frightening. A female runners GPS shows her brutal attack.

foxnews.com/lifestyle/2017/03/14/joggers-fitness-tracker-documented-her-brutal-attack-on-run.html

Wait??? So a whole 57% supposedly don't experience regular catcalls???!! Is it sad that this shocks me?
  • sjaplo
    sjaplo Posts: 974 Member
    Options
    Both running and cycling and I'm male. Something about being surrounded by two tons of metal turns people into a holes. I actually had someone jam on the brakes in front of me and jump out to harass me. Then he saw the beard (I have long hair) and jumped back in his van and sped away.

• fitin50s2
    fitin50s2 Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    Sorry this has happened to you....

It's happened to me only once. Guys saying crap as I was out running in my cold weather gear. I could have easily said something back but I took the high road and ignored.

I'm sure it will happen again in the future. You can't unlearn ignorance and stupidity.
  • mayafit405
    mayafit405 Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    Reading all these comments makes me see how mean people can be to runners or anyone who exercises outside. I guess we're all the type of people who don't scare easy because we're still running! B)

Stay awesome friends !