Couch to 5k Success?

Options
2»

Replies

• ronocnikral
    ronocnikral Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    I personally don't like C25k, although it is very popular here. I'd much rather see someone get a HRM and keep control of their HR on a more regular basis than 3x per week. Of course, being honest with yourself and your fitness is key. Taking days off when needed and not getting down is also key.

The problem with any online forum is you've got no idea if someone responding has only a few weeks of running under their belt, or whether they're an experienced runner with a significant amount of knowledge, and potentially training as a coach behind them.

As a new runner alternate days is about right in terms of the balance between cardiovascular development and musculoskeletal development.

I would observe that whilst HR zone based training has some merit for athletic performance, it does depend on having a good understanding of ones maximum heart rate, lactate threshold and aerobic capacity. All three of those require either a set of threshold/ maximal tests, or lab based assessment. That's somewhat more commitment than is reasonable for a new runner. Lab testing is expensive, and maximal testing risks injury for a new runner.

Not to blow up this person's thread, but the problem isn't necessarily based on being in an online forum. C25k takes a VERY conservative path. If that's what you want to recommend, that is fine. I find it to be way too conservative and find that running 4 days a week (and eventually 5 and 6), but at the same or slightly higher weekly time, is more beneficial. I get that C25k is popular, I'm merely offering an alternative.

It's also not fair to dismiss HR zone based training because it is too expensive/complex. Many people have successfully done based on breathing, various formulas (MAF or google your own). My only suggestion is to be very conservative with it. again, JMO.
  • BanmoxWriter
    BanmoxWriter Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    lorrpb wrote: »
    I'm surprised you've never seen a thread in which people shared their C25K successes!
    Yeah, that's probably because I'm new here. I meant people I know in person. :smile:

• Jthanmyfitnesspal
    Jthanmyfitnesspal Posts: 3,522 Member
    Options
    I would observe that whilst HR zone based training has some merit for athletic performance, it does depend on having a good understanding of ones maximum heart rate, lactate threshold and aerobic capacity. All three of those require either a set of threshold/ maximal tests, or lab based assessment. That's somewhat more commitment than is reasonable for a new runner. Lab testing is expensive, and maximal testing risks injury for a new runner.

I keep suggesting people get a heart rate monitor and I've gotten a lot of push-back. I mean, there's a HRM in many fitness monitors these days, so it is pretty mainstream and easy to implement. I've never done any lab tests and still I've found it very useful. You just use it as a day to day guide. It's also helpful if you're switching between running and other activities to gauge level of effort. No big deal.
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Options

I keep suggesting people get a heart rate monitor and I've gotten a lot of push-back. I mean, there's a HRM in many fitness monitors these days, so it is pretty mainstream and easy to implement. I've never done any lab tests and still I've found it very useful. You just use it as a day to day guide. It's also helpful if you're switching between running and other activities to gauge level of effort. No big deal.

Bear in mind that I was responding to the bull advice above from someone who has minimal running experience.

From a coaching perspective they have some merit, but they're a bit of a novelty for most people.