Losing weight while dealing with depression

Options
Ok so I am on this journey and most days I am on the up and up. Eating right, drinking water and working out. I've lost nearly 10lbs so far but in days like today where I am extremely low and feeling depressed, I find myself without any motivation and I seek things that hive me temporary satisfaction. I ate a huge Sonic ice cream sunday and am having an ocean water with extra blue coconut which I know I shouldn't be having but am having anyway.
My question though, is does anyone else suffer with depression and if so how do you find the motivation to do what's right for your body? Any suggestions or advice?
Maybe we can support one another... :)

Replies

• gillesse
    gillesse Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    I also suffer from depression. It's hard. I'm trying to take on new hobbies to help with my depression instead of going to the fridge to have a snack. Lately I put some music on and fold paper cranes. It's oddly relaxing and helps me think clearly. And I have a pot of tea in front of me if I feel hungry. Tea usually helps me a lot in getting rid of cravings, and also helps me feel less stressed out. I guess just take on a new hobby that you will enjoy doing, and keep busy. Distract yourself from food as much as possible by doing something you love.
  • KetoKaHee
    KetoKaHee Posts: 270 Member
    Options
    I think when dealing with depression you need to find out what is causing you so much stress and anxiety. For me I can get in a negative cycle of putting myself down but I stop it right away. I know that in order for me to be successful I need to learn how to accept and love myself. We put so much pressure on ourselves. I think we should give ourselves a break. If we mess up one day who cares! What is important is that we pick ourselves up and never quit!
  • marie9910
    marie9910 Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    I think about the alternative of asking care of my body, which is continuing to gain weight, which will ensure that I remain depressed. So even when I'm depressed I remind myself that the depression will pass but the extra calories will remain.
  • WickedPineapple
    WickedPineapple Posts: 698 Member
    Options
    I also have mild depression and anxiety. It takes time to develop healthy habits, so forgive yourself. I had to find coping mechanisms other than food (during the worst of it, I was living off of Wendy's and baked goods). As @gillesse mentioned above, keeping busy and having hobbies you enjoy and find calming are good replacement coping mechanisms. I tend to read or make something (usually crafts, but sometimes I'll bake/cook). I've also found doing extra beauty rituals helpful (think bubble bath or clay masks). I think that helps because I usually don't spend too much time on them, so when I'm depressed I take extra time to take care of myself physically because that's when I get the most out of it mentally. I'm also wanting to get one of those adult coloring books.

In terms of exercise, for anxiety, going for a run or doing any kind of cardio helps. For depression, I've found yoga to be more helpful. I make sleep a priority, as I'm also an insomniac. (I'm not sure if the insomnia triggers the anxiety/depression or the other way around, so I try to keep them all in check).
  • YAYA_of_2
    YAYA_of_2 Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    Depression, anxiety is very hard to deal with. Trying to lose weight with these can sometimes be or rather feel impossible to do. But you can do it!!! You have to find other things to feel that void or to pacify you when you get down other than food. My go to is exercise. For example just this week my husband and I had a huge argument and instead of feeding my face with the friend chicken wings he went for, I went to the YMCA and went swimming. It's all about the choices you make. It is natural for us to turn to food when we get depressed, hell that is how I got fat to begin with. Now I have to break that cycle! Believe in yourself and you can beat this!!! Fell free to add me.
  • sninno
    sninno Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I have depression too, I have never been this heavy in my life before, I completely lost control. I am trying to lose 25 lbs, but I am feeling anxious and I am scared to work out. I have had 2 heart surgery last year and I suffer from PTSD I am always afraid that while I work out I drop down dead from heart problems. The doctor tells me I am ok I can work out with no problem just no power lifting, but I am terrified. I hope I can lose the extra weight and have my life back.
  • INeustaedter
    INeustaedter Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I've dealt with depression and anxiety for years. Exercise is the best drug however if you find yourself so depressed you're almost paralyzed, like I was, it may be time to seek professional help with counseling and medication. The medication helps to calm you and to see things in perspective. Perspective is everything! We all know how huge things are at 3AM and how they lessen when the sun comes up. You may need to be on medication until you are able to create new and healthy routines, learn to deal with whatever is causing your fears and sadness and include exercise as part of your recovery. In time you will be able to cope with life's ups and down much easier and use exercise as your drug of choice. It took years of beating myself up for taking medications to realize it's OK. That's why they're there and you don't have to be on them forever. Exercise and healthy eating are a huge part of dealing with depression but you have to start somewhere and sometimes we need a little extra help. Now I'm not on any medications at all. Med free for 3 years and I'm fitter than I've been in a very long time. I feel great and I feel free.
  • brightresolve
    brightresolve Posts: 1,024 Member
    Options
    Also working with mild depression and moderate anxiety and weight loss. Have bounced around too much the last few years and it hurts my attitude - it turns into a "can't do" attitude and I have trouble getting out the door, or turn to sugar to soothe emotional hurts. I am only two days back into logging, meeting my step goal, and working out and I know my tough time comes when I "mess up" - that judgy perfectionist part that is the source of so much discomfort gets started, and then I "might as well" abandon all self care and overeat ...

Long and short, no answers here except that I know for me, less sugar, less energy drinks equals more sleep, more exercise equals more equanimity and so I am back at it, one day at a time. Friend me if you like, I need people who understand this too.
  • DietPrada
    DietPrada Posts: 1,171 Member
    Options
    I too have had issues with depression and anxiety over the years. No longer on medication though. I find that I can't easily distinguish between anxiety and hungry, in that when I have that hungry feeling I seem to feel more anxious also. What's saved me has been going low carb, as you don't get that empty hungry feeling anymore. It's allowed me to control my hunger even when I'm not great, and put an end to the comfort eating. It's also improved my moods overall.
  • CampLondon
    CampLondon Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    Last two weeks I have used gratitude to distract me from my negative thoughts. I have a problem with my past and got to now that the present-day is the only way to my path of happiness.