Monthly cycle and weight loss?

Options
Hi all not sure if this is the right spot to ask this question but I'm curious to know if other women have noticed a link between weight loss and their periods ?
I ask because I follow my cycle very closely and write down my weight on a daily basis and have noticed that a few days after my period I will start to lose a lb a day for 5-7 days. For the rest of the month I lose weight at about a lb or 2 a week, I don't gain any before my period. I'm wondering if this is due to hormonal fluctuations as my diet doesn't change over the month and my exercise regime stays the same. Just want to know if this is a similar situation for others as well?

Replies

• 4legsRbetterthan2
    4legsRbetterthan2 Posts: 19,590 MFP Moderator
    Options
    Yes, this is normal. Most people gain or don't see their normal loss in the days before their period and then return or see a large drop after the hormones level back out.
  • GrumpyHeadmistress
    GrumpyHeadmistress Posts: 666 Member
    Options
    I gain during ovulation and don't lose at TOM. So I basically only lose two weeks a month!
  • afatpersonwholikesfood
    Options
    My body does crazy water weight things. Big swings and whooshes. I'm sure it's all tied to hormones.
  • marie9910
    marie9910 Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    This is normal and it happens to me every month. I believe what happens is the body begins retaining water a week or two before menstruation begins, and then once your period starts your body releases the excess water. I stop weighing myself once I see my weight beginning to creep up and don't weigh again until I'm well into my period lol. Works for me.
  • marie9910
    marie9910 Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    Just to clarify I read this in an article and it was the explanation that made the most sense to me, after reading lots of material on the subject. I was curious too.
  • Becbecmonster84
    Becbecmonster84 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    marie9910 wrote: »
    Just to clarify I read this in an article and it was the explanation that made the most sense to me, after reading lots of material on the subject. I was curious too.

That is interesting it could be but like I said I do consistently lose 1-2lb a week Including on my period which made me think maybe it could be related more to hormones.

• Becbecmonster84
    Becbecmonster84 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I gain during ovulation and don't lose at TOM. So I basically only lose two weeks a month!

Perhaps you are losing during the other two weeks but you might be retaining water at an equal amount, that's what I got from other comments
  • fbchick51
    fbchick51 Posts: 240 Member
    Options
    I posted this on the other thread, but similar to what marie9910 was explaining...

Two quick things I can think of. 1. You're still retaining water, but instead of noticing it as a weight gain, it's maybe showing up as a lower weight loss (1lb for the week versus 2lbs) 2. Hormonal fluctuations that occur during menstrual cycles can actually slightly increase our metabolism for the two weeks prior to our period, but again, some of weightloss is being hidden by water retention until after your period passes.
  • dopeysmelly
    dopeysmelly Posts: 1,390 Member
    Options
    Absolutely, the cycle makes a difference. I can honestly predict when my next period is about to begin by what the scale does. This is why it's really important to look at your weight trend over quite an extended period of time. I use Happy Scales, log every day and don't worry about anything other than the trend.
  • crooked_left_hook
    crooked_left_hook Posts: 364 Member
    Options
    fbchick51 wrote: »
    I posted this on the other thread, but similar to what marie9910 was explaining...

Two quick things I can think of. 1. You're still retaining water, but instead of noticing it as a weight gain, it's maybe showing up as a lower weight loss (1lb for the week versus 2lbs) 2. Hormonal fluctuations that occur during menstrual cycles can actually slightly increase our metabolism for the two weeks prior to our period, but again, some of weightloss is being hidden by water retention until after your period passes.

Good to know. This is what seems to happen for me even though I don't really have a period because of the BC pill I take. I gain during placebo pill days and drop down about 1 week into my pill pack (I take one that has 24 days of equal hormones and 4 placebo days).
  • cwagar123
    cwagar123 Posts: 195 Member
    Options
    Hi all not sure if this is the right spot to ask this question but I'm curious to know if other women have noticed a link between weight loss and their periods ?
    I ask because I follow my cycle very closely and write down my weight on a daily basis and have noticed that a few days after my period I will start to lose a lb a day for 5-7 days. For the rest of the month I lose weight at about a lb or 2 a week, I don't gain any before my period. I'm wondering if this is due to hormonal fluctuations as my diet doesn't change over the month and my exercise regime stays the same. Just want to know if this is a similar situation for others as well?

Yes. Exact same thing happens to me
  • lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 9,981 Member
    Options

So you're losing 8 to 13 lbs a month (based on the facts you've presented). Your calorie deficit is so large and your body mass weight loss is so rapid that it is masking the water weight gain, so that you still have a net weight (body mass + water) loss, albeit slower, during the time leading up to your period when you're retaining water.

And yes, as others have said, it's perfectly normal for hormonal changes throughout your monthly cycle to affect your net weight.
  • MelanieCN77
    MelanieCN77 Posts: 4,047 Member
    Options
    The scale gets sticky for me around ovulation and my appetite is large.