Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

too much protein powder can cause women to have breast cancer!

Options
chyna7777
chyna7777 Posts: 13 Member
I dont believe this but today my work mate said i can get breast cancer from taking too much protein powder or eat a high protein diet. what are your thoughts? yes his male and his not a healthy person at all. i did mention the powder i take is a vegan friendly one full of nutrients and minerals and i only would take it 3 or 4 times a week after my workout. has any one else heard this nonsense before???

Replies

• HeliumIsNoble
    HeliumIsNoble Posts: 1,213 Member
    edited March 2017
    Options
    No. I haven't. I recommend you read through this overview from a cancer research charity on dietary factors linked (so far) to higher and lower rates of breast cancer: http://www.cancerresearchuk.org/about-cancer/breast-cancer/risks-causes/diet
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    chyna7777 wrote: »
    I dont believe this but today my work mate said i can get breast cancer from taking too much protein powder or eat a high protein diet. what are your thoughts? yes his male and his not a healthy person at all. i did mention the powder i take is a vegan friendly one full of nutrients and minerals and i only would take it 3 or 4 times a week after my workout. has any one else heard this nonsense before???

Did you ask him what his sources were?
  • Gallowmere1984
    Gallowmere1984 Posts: 6,626 Member
    edited March 2017
    Options
    chyna7777 wrote: »

Did you ask him what his sources were?

This. Find out where he heard this crap from. If there's a new BS peddler in town, it would be good to know. I don't even think Oz is THAT goofy.
  • RuNaRoUnDaFiEld
    RuNaRoUnDaFiEld Posts: 5,864 Member
    Options
    I've just thought, was it a soy shake you had?

I know that was falsely linked at one time.
  • chyna7777
    chyna7777 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    thank you for your feedback guys! yeah well the guy has no.sources and his that type of person that always has to find a negative in everything. i guess sometimes you hear things and then they make u think twice. thanks again
  • Chef_Barbell
    Chef_Barbell Posts: 6,644 Member
    Options
    Lol I can't imagine saying something like that to someone at work. What the heck?
  • deputy_randolph
    deputy_randolph Posts: 940 Member
    Options
    I usually have 2 scoops of whey a day; mammogram was great (not the experience, but the results).

Maybe he was trying to get you to show him your boobs...
  • deannalfisher
    deannalfisher Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options
    sounds like some of the BS coming from the book protein-a-holic (I think its called)
  • dhoffinator
    dhoffinator Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Only link I can think of that is even remotely related is that soy and questionably flax have been reported to have some weak estrogenic properties--but it would be huge reach to say these cause breast cancer. I could go into much more detail but the bottom line is that the statement about your smoothie causing breast cancer is not correct. There is no food that "causes" breast cancer.