Total Gym will this work?

Options
I can not stand and lift weights or I lose my balance, and I can not lift anything over my head or I can't breath. So I decided to sit on my Total Gym and use the pulleys instead of weights. That way, I am pulling my entire weight (146 lbs) forward with each rep.
At 74, I'm not interested in getting ripped, just building my upper body strength.
And opening my chest to hopefully improve my breathing or at the very least to keep it from becoming worse.
MY Dr. is very supportive of any and all exercise I am willing to do.
I also go to the YMCA (our insurance pays for that) 3 days a week and use the Nustep (cross training) machine for a half hour each time (100-150 calories depending on how soon I run out of oxygen).
I will be starting either water exercises or chair yoga twice a week when the new class starts the end of the month also at the YMCA,
I used to walk a lot, but I live on a hill 12-14 % incline, and I no longer can breath well enough to make it around the block.

Replies

• JaxxieKat
    JaxxieKat Posts: 427 Member
    Options
    I had a Total Gym and it ended up at the Goodwill. I couldn't even sell it for $50. I'd say invest in a nice incline bench and dumbbell set. :)
  • Azdak
    Azdak Posts: 8,281 Member
    edited March 2017
    Options
    Yes-- for you in your situation the Total Gym could be a nice fit. Right now more than anything else you need mobilization and movement and the TG will provide that in a supportive way.

The TG is limited in what it can do, but if you outgrow it, that would be a good thing because it would mean you are getting stronger.
  • rdmitch
    rdmitch Posts: 278 Member
    Options
    I have one (Craigslist special) and I use it a few times a week. I like it since it's low impact and I have neck problems
    It's hard to outgrow since there is so much adjustment you can make with the incline.
  • SonyaCele
    SonyaCele Posts: 2,841 Member
    Options
    if you use it, it will be worth it.
  • blueiii31062
    blueiii31062 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    I like my Total Gym for the reasons you mention. It's good for toning and, if you do the exercises in a sprint-type manner, you can work on endurance too. I have really bad knees, so I do chair workouts too. There are a lot of suggested workouts on Youtube that can fit just about any work out need.
  • southernoregongrape
    southernoregongrape Posts: 117 Member
    edited March 2017
    Options
    Thanks for the feedback. i'm signing up for the chair yoga when we go to the Y tomorrow. And we did drive down to a park by the river and went for a 20 min walk today.
    I found some youtube exercises by Grow Young Fitness that look good and joined the facebook group, and also found some special breathing exercises to strengthen my diaphragm online.
  • middlehaitch
    middlehaitch Posts: 8,484 Member
    Options
    I would highly recommend the water exercise class. It is so good for balance, flexibility, and posture, as well as giving a little strength training as you are working against the water's resistance.

Nothing against, seated yoga, but as you are seated when you are doing the total gym work out it may be more advantageous to take a class that will help with balance and flexibility.

Cheers, h.
  • southernoregongrape
    southernoregongrape Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    I tried the water exercise classes and they were too strenuous for me so I switched to water yoga and loved it. But our instructor had to quit and the new one was not a good fit for me. I am hoping to find a class that works later this summer, but right now it is cold and rainy in Oregon and I don't like to run around with wet hair.
    I agree that a standing program would be good, but the balance class the Y gives conflicts with the time that hubby and I use the cross training machines.
    I figure that the yoga class is better than nothing, and hopefully they will focus on opening our chests, since that is my biggest problem.