What's with egg yolk?

Options
Most diet recipes I see usually focus on egg whites. What's wrong with just having a normal egg with the yolk?

Replies

• baisleac
    baisleac Posts: 2,019 Member
    Options
    The yolk has most of the calories, so diet recipes often cut it out to get lower fat/lower calorie numbers.

Of course, the yolk is also where most of the vitamins and minerals are. I say eat the yolk and budget the calories.
  • 27strange
    27strange Posts: 837 Member
    Options
    A whole egg is what 70-90 calories? I just eat the whole thing. And just have one.

I'd rather have one whole egg than 2-3 egg whites only. Easier too.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    Nothing at all if you look at the research.
  • Atlantique
    Atlantique Posts: 2,484 Member
    Options
    Most diet recipes I see usually focus on egg whites. What's wrong with just having a normal egg with the yolk?

Absolutely nothing!

The fear of egg yolks usually goes back to the long-outdated theories that eating any fat will keep you from losing weight and that the cholesterol in eggs will raise your cholesterol.
  • Amandanoralynn
    Amandanoralynn Posts: 231 Member
    Options
    Eat the yolk and just count the calories. All the nutrition is in the yolk. Here is a neat link abou the egg.
    http://www.healthdiaries.com/eatthis/10-health-benefits-of-eggs.html
  • california_peach
    california_peach Posts: 1,858 Member
    Options
    Unless the recipe involves actually beating the whites and folding them back into the recipe you can just use the entire egg. It will alter the calories a bit, but eggs are not that bad for you.
  • christine24t
    christine24t Posts: 6,063 Member
    Options
    If I eat one egg, I just eat the yolk. But if i make two of them, I use one yolk and two whites! The yolk is my favorite though.
  • rc630
    rc630 Posts: 310 Member
    Options
    A whole egg is what 70-90 calories? I just eat the whole thing. And just have one.

I'd rather have one whole egg than 2-3 egg whites only. Easier too.

For some people working with only 1200 calories, it makes more sense to cut out the yolks and save those extra 50 calories
  • dreanance
    dreanance Posts: 246
    Options
    I love eggs! Whites are good too, but all they are is protien. The whole eggs have so much good stuff in them... and the whole cholesterol thing is an area of much debate so I don't worry about it too much. I have one egg as a serving. If I need more than I use one egg and one white.
  • odusgolp
    odusgolp Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    I'm rather distraught that none of you have taken into account the very serious difference in the white vs. the yolk argument! You can't just use the whole egg or toss the yolk for the sake of caloric intake and still expect to produce a respectable Hollandaise... or Meringue... or Chiffon... or Carbonara...

Respect your egg for all the wonderful things it does and all the wonderful parts it has :)
  • taem
    taem Posts: 495 Member
    Options
    When you look at the egg and compare it to say, beef, you might as well eat beef.

http://nutritiondata.self.com/​facts/dairy-and-egg-products/1​17/2
    http://nutritiondata.self.com/​facts/beef-products/7389/2

There is more cholesterol in the egg than beef.

You can argue amounts with me, but the fact that a cup of chopped hard boiled eggs has more cholesterol than 591 grams of roast beef, I would rather eat the beef and enjoy the heart attack. In fact, percentage-wise, there is less fat in the beef.

Food for thought.
  • JennsLosing
    JennsLosing Posts: 1,026
    Options
    If I eat one egg, I just eat the yolk. But if i make two of them, I use one yolk and two whites! The yolk is my favorite though.
    you would love some double yolk eggs then. i use to know a guy in NC who had chickens that laid double yolked eggs.
  • zeeeb
    zeeeb Posts: 805 Member
    Options
    i love the yolk and refuse to believe that such a natural thing is bad. i have chooks, and plentiful eggs, so i eat plenty of yolks...
  • odusgolp
    odusgolp Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    you would love some double yolk eggs then. i use to know a guy in NC who had chickens that laid double yolked eggs.

I once cracked open a double yolk... making me acutely aware that they would have been twins. Creepy. And delicious.
  • baisleac
    baisleac Posts: 2,019 Member
    Options

This would be important only if dietary cholesterol had an effect on blood cholesterol (it doesn't); or unless suggested, to you specifically, by your doctor.
  • taem
    taem Posts: 495 Member
    Options

This would be important only if dietary cholesterol had an effect on blood cholesterol (it doesn't); or unless suggested, to you specifically, by your doctor.

Then by all means, eat the eggs!
  • lustyrusty
    lustyrusty Posts: 46
    Options
    I think I'm in the minority of people who love the white and hate the yolk!! I can't even have it on my plate! And don't even get me started on mashed potatoes!
  • christine24t
    christine24t Posts: 6,063 Member
    Options

haha that's awesome i would love that! i actually have three chickens but i dont think we've ever gotten a double yolk!