Back POP

Options
Okay so I've been searching the forums for past posts on this issue and have literately only found a couple of people who have had this problem.

Heres the deal.....When I do some excercises, specifically in plank position or leg raises/abs etc, I find that my back "POPs" or makes a annoying popping sound. It doesn't hurt so much just more annoying than anything. Has this happened to anyone else or is there literately something wrong with me!!?? Its freaking me out to be honest....

Just to give you a breif history of me:

Never been in serious accident
had 1 baby - the natural way
played sports my whole life
fairly active lifestyle

If anyone has anything remotely similar I would really appreciate any kind of feedback, medical treatment, and recovery you went through.

Thank you....Tina

Replies

• Trixtabella
    Trixtabella Posts: 471 Member
    Options
    Mine does, even when I am doing leg locks in body combat my hips do it also.

I mentioned it to my doctor he seemed to just think it was just like when your fingers click ect. Said as long as it didn't cause me pain he couldn't see an issue with it.
  • HoopFire5602
    HoopFire5602 Posts: 423 Member
    Options
    I have the same thing. it really annoys me and honestly kind of creeps me out, so I find other exercises to do that work the same areas but do not have the pop.
  • tinalatina
    tinalatina Posts: 499 Member
    Options
    Mine does, even when I am doing leg locks in body combat my hips do it also.

I mentioned it to my doctor he seemed to just think it was just like when your fingers click ect. Said as long as it didn't cause me pain he couldn't see an issue with it.

Well thats good to know....So you still do your regular excercises? I stopped the shred for a few days because it was getting louder on Level 3. It doesnt hurt its just weird feeling and annoying....

Thanks for sharing!
  • FaugHorn
    FaugHorn Posts: 1,060 Member
    Options
    My hip does it, doesn't hurt or go out or anything, just clicks sometimes. It can be really distracting! Trying to work out (especially if there's a lot of people around) and it's going CLICK CLICK CLICK...no idea what it is :)
  • pa_jorg
    pa_jorg Posts: 4,404 Member
    Options
    just to be safe, go see a chiropractor
  • megs144
    megs144 Posts: 2
    Options
    I sent you a message on PT about this. Where in your back is it??
  • tinalatina
    Options
    I sent you a message on PT about this. Where in your back is it??

Hi Megs - It is mainly popping in my Mid center spine. I know its not a cracking sounds but more like the muscle or tendon thats moving and popping over my spine. Its weird!
  • tinalatina
    Options
    I wrote a message to a girl named HeatherBelle and here was her response from her sports medicine doctor.

Hi :)

I called the sports medicine Dr my mom works for, mine was out of town, its normal, especially after trauma because the msucle and ligaments are loosening back up, and sometimes get a little too loose at first, causing the pop. He encouraged me to keep doing it but stop if it gets painful and to take ibuprofen or another OTC anti-inflammatory 30 min before working out and another dose 30 min after I get done. He also said it could happen more as I train and move to higher resistance and more weight but as the muscles heal from the workout itll stop.

I hope this helps you too! (my dosages on the ibuprofen were 400 mg before and 600 after)

Thanks for msg heatherbelle! This is really reassuring!
  • noely1974
    noely1974 Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    This is a really helpful topic, cheers. My neck has been popping for the last few weeks and it has annoyed me a little but it doesn't hurt .
  • randompatch
    randompatch Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    I'm glad I'm not the only poppy person. I have issues with my lower back (leg presses on the floor, without weights or a machine) and my neck/shoulders (even with motions as simple as jumping jacks). It feels weird . . . slightly jarring . . . but not *painful*.

I'm thinking about visiting a chiropractor.

Has anyone has success with it stopping completely?