Runners who lift/lifters who run?

I've been on here for over three years and I noticed most people I know either do one or the other, but few do both. Am I a special person? I mean, I hit the gym five mornings per week and I run as many times. I like both equally. So, anyone is into both?

Add me if you are!

qMJjpHtfSAa35LEH1MjO_Exercise%20Ball%20Treadmill%20Fail.gif

Replies

• jennybearlv
    jennybearlv Posts: 1,519 Member
    I run, lift, and cycle too.
  • dpwellman
    dpwellman Posts: 3,271 Member
    I do both.
  • powered85
    powered85 Posts: 297 Member
    I do both as well. Running is my main focus though. For weights I lift 5 times a week but only a few different exercises each day and not a lot of weight. Still have managed to recomp quite well compared to where I was at a few yrs ago.
  • iofred
    iofred Posts: 488 Member
    used the lift as primary, and run for cardio when I was younger so much younger than today, where now I run as a prime (focus on long-distance), and throw around weights because I love it. Whenever I think I have reached an age where I want to be focusing on just cardio I manage that for approx 2 weeks, and the urge to do weights pops up again ... probably one of the few things I am very indecisive about
  • RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    I do both..
  • LivingtheLeanDream
    LivingtheLeanDream Posts: 13,345 Member
    I do both but my love is running.
  • AMSmit88
    AMSmit88 Posts: 100 Member
    I do both. Will add in more runs from next month when I'm cutting.
  • fitin50s2
    fitin50s2 Posts: 111 Member
    I do both and enjoy both equally.
  • daltontf
    daltontf Posts: 63 Member
    Striving to be have decent strength via lifting and run a respectable 5K.
  • deannalfisher
    deannalfisher Posts: 5,600 Member
    triathlete who lifts - I do 5-6 days tri specific training (s/b/r); 2-3 weights and 1 yoga session a week
  • lkpducky
    lkpducky Posts: 16,729 Member
    I do both as well. It's a bit of an adjustment - lifting can make my legs tired and stiff so my running slows down, so I'm trying to strike a balance because I really like both.
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    I'll do both.

Eventually the running program (actually cycling) hits a point that the lifting is interference, and I'm not going to get in a good lower body lifting program anyway. Or a good lifting program would ruin the cardio.

My available workout days, and the need for recovery and repair from lifting, or not be so tired out for good lifting, gets the matching up hard to do.

Usually drop lower body lifting eventually, and try to maintain upper program.

I guess I could go to maintenance mode and make little or no progress, but don't like wasting the time then.
  • stealthq
    stealthq Posts: 4,298 Member
    I was doing both, after a couple of years dropped lifting to work on running, then got injured. Probably not coincidence. Working back into lifting now, and I'll pick up running again as soon as I can.
  • H_Ock12
    H_Ock12 Posts: 1,152 Member
    I do both, but my first love is lifting.
  • AJbandit88
    AJbandit88 Posts: 31 Member
    I run every day but also try to lift at least three times a week. I love lifting weights but feel like I accomplish more by running. It is an adjustment doing both but I like the change of pace.
  • dpwellman
    dpwellman Posts: 3,271 Member
    edited March 2017
    Runners should be targeting 6RM.
  • ritzvin
    ritzvin Posts: 2,860 Member
    both.
  • dbanks80
    dbanks80 Posts: 3,685 Member
    I love both!
  • BigMech
    BigMech Posts: 420 Member
    I Lift, Run and Bike. I lift 6 days week, 3 of the them with my son. I usually run 15-20 miles per week, and bike 50-75. Keeping my legs strong with the lifting has definitely helped my longevity and performance in both the running and biking.

I want to be strong, fast and have endurance.

• annaskiski
    annaskiski Posts: 1,212 Member
    edited March 2017
    I do both as well.

I would like to do parkour. I keep adding parkour training exercises to my routine.