Has anyone used Alli??

Options
Has anyone used Alli to aid in their weight loss?? If so, what do you think about it?? Have you had problems going to the bathroom after taking it?? Like after a fatty meal you take a pill, and a couple days later you still haven't gone to the bathroom like you normally would??

I also take Phentermine from the doctor. I have used it before and successfully lost 30 pounds with it.....This time around, I have gone from 216 down to my current weight of 205.....now I am at a standstill. Most likely because I am eating regular meals even when not hungry, and not exercising regularly....Actually, I'm not exercising at all. And I feel extremely bad about it too!

As a single mom with four kids and I work from home, I would love to get out by myself just to have time alone. It does not happen. My 10 year old is special needs and cannot be left alone with his 8 year old sister or things get physical. I can leave my 12 year old in charge of my 10 year old OR 8 year old as well as my 3 year old and things are fine. I just can't get out by myself. I haven't got much of a support system to help watch the kids so I can get out. I can't afford a sitter either. I have tried to go out at night after the kids go to bed, but my 10 year old doesn't fall asleep most nights till after 11. Any suggestions??

I am so frustrated that I can't get out for some fresh air and exercise. I have Wii games at home and videos as well..My house is super small.....Less than 900 square foot, and the living room is so tiny, I can't get much accomplished in there. I would love some imput from others!!

Replies

• MeLisa1044
    MeLisa1044 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I used it and it is really gross! It does work. I never even got to take it for the full dosage, but you leak fat out of you butt! So you smell all the time, cuz basically you have fat that you consume seeping out of you. I had to wear pads. Lasted about 5 days of one dose and then returned it to Walgreens. I love the phentermine tho! I think that has worked the best for me. As far as a quick fun workout and you don't need alot of room, try Zumba!!! I love it!!!! It's fun and sometimes my kids join in. I have four so I understand your frustration.
  • sorrelduncan
    sorrelduncan Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    Is there a park you could use with play areas for the kids and a track for the moms? How about getting out with the 10 & 3 year olds with you, and the others at home? My kids like to ride their bikes with me while I walk. I understand about wanting to get out alone - perhaps in coming years you will be able to. I tried Alli - used one bottle, following directions & it didn't help me lose at all. Maybe others have had a different experience, but I found it a waste of money. Only thing that works is tracking your calories and exercising. You can do it! And you will have even more energy for all the demands on you which sound tremendous! Good luck!
  • springtrio
    springtrio Posts: 429 Member
    Options
    Has anyone used Alli to aid in their weight loss?? If so, what do you think about it?? Have you had problems going to the bathroom after taking it?? Like after a fatty meal you take a pill, and a couple days later you still haven't gone to the bathroom like you normally would??

I also take Phentermine from the doctor. I have used it before and successfully lost 30 pounds with it.....This time around, I have gone from 216 down to my current weight of 205.....now I am at a standstill. Most likely because I am eating regular meals even when not hungry, and not exercising regularly....Actually, I'm not exercising at all. And I feel extremely bad about it too!

As a single mom with four kids and I work from home, I would love to get out by myself just to have time alone. It does not happen. My 10 year old is special needs and cannot be left alone with his 8 year old sister or things get physical. I can leave my 12 year old in charge of my 10 year old OR 8 year old as well as my 3 year old and things are fine. I just can't get out by myself. I haven't got much of a support system to help watch the kids so I can get out. I can't afford a sitter either. I have tried to go out at night after the kids go to bed, but my 10 year old doesn't fall asleep most nights till after 11. Any suggestions??

I am so frustrated that I can't get out for some fresh air and exercise. I have Wii games at home and videos as well..My house is super small.....Less than 900 square foot, and the living room is so tiny, I can't get much accomplished in there. I would love some imput from others!!

Get up super early. I know you probably aren't a morning person with 4 kids (I have a 5, 4, and 2 year old at home) but I force myself out of bed every morning at 5am. Have my coffee, and from 5:30 to 6:30 I walk an hour around my neighborhood (usually 3-4 miles depending on how fast I want to go)...being single, I know that's not an option, and during naptime I run on my treadmill or do workout dvds. Even if you do have small space what about getting the kids working out with you? My boys and I did Bob Harper's Inside Out Cardio method dvd today and they love it.

As for the Alli. Tried it this past winter. Had the craps constantly. Also gained 30lbs. over the winter. Didn't do a thing, and IMO if you're going to take a weight loss drug get one from a physician (specifically one that specializes in bariatrics - it's what I did...after almost 3 years of losing weight, he wants to see the last of the weight off and gave me a script for one). I'd ditch the Alli b/c of the side effects. Have your doctor give you a script for Xenical (it's 50% more stronger than Alli).
  • photorific
    photorific Posts: 577 Member
    Options
    Do either the 10 or 8 year old have a friend they could go visit for a play date without you?
  • prettybrownround
    prettybrownround Posts: 362 Member
    Options
    I tired it but it was short-lived....the oily side-effects, ewwww!!!!

I hv children and my condo is not super big but I make it work. When the kids are asleep and I need some fresh air. I just go outside and ride my bike up and down the block. Im still close by and exercising at the same time. If u dont have a enough room to dance, try some of Denise Austin's walking in place workouts or something else low impact. Hope this helps.
  • marquesajen
    marquesajen Posts: 641
    Options
    It's probably more difficult in summer, but what about when they're in school? Does the 3 year old go to pre-school? Do you have to work during specific times of the day? Even if you can just do 20 jumping jacks here and there, do it. If you're cooking dinner, stir with one hand and lift a heavy book with the other. Try to sneak in little things like that.
  • fairbanksmommy
    fairbanksmommy Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    Xenical?? I've never heard of it...I'll have to to some research and then ask the doctor....Thanks for the suggestion!
  • odusgolp
    odusgolp Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    I used it and it is really gross! It does work. I never even got to take it for the full dosage, but you leak fat out of you butt! So you smell all the time, cuz basically you have fat that you consume seeping out of you. I had to wear pads. Lasted about 5 days of one dose and then returned it to Walgreens. I love the phentermine tho! I think that has worked the best for me. As far as a quick fun workout and you don't need alot of room, try Zumba!!! I love it!!!! It's fun and sometimes my kids join in. I have four so I understand your frustration.

Oh. My. God.

Why would anyone voluntarily leak from their *kitten* and knowingly smell like an@l leakage?? *LMAO*
  • h3h8m3
    h3h8m3 Posts: 455 Member
    Options
    My experience with Alli is that it works fine as long as you follow the rules. I have been eating low-fat meals with it and I've had great success. I have had zero side-effects.

Eat low-fat for a week or two before you start taking the pills so your system is nice and clean.

I believe Alli works, and I believe that the comments people have about it on this site are perplexing. What's worse, the possibility that on occasion someone might have bad diarrhea, or the possibility that you'll live the rest of your life with a bunch of extra weight that you don't want? For me it's a no brainer. I wanted to lose this weight badly enough to make it worthwhile.

Normally I don't engage in these types of threads, but I wanted to balance out all the negativity with my own positive experience with it. I've lost 79 pounds in about three months. I work out a ton, eat 1000 calories below maintenance, and don't eat my exercise calories. And I take Alli with almost every meal (unless I forget), up to 3x a day.
  • fairbanksmommy
    Options
    Monday through Friday I have daycare kids show up anywhere between 4 and 5AM. They usually go back to bed for a bit, and the house has to stay super quiet.

I have tried getting my kids and the daycare kids involved in the games on the Wii so I can do them while they are around....it lasts about 5 minutes lol....I would love to get on it more and play it.....I have to find a way to make things fun to keep them interested if I am going to get anything done during the day. The heat has been so unbearable, I had to keep the kiddos in the house all week. I think they are almost as annoyed as I am about this. So excited we got rain today so it's a bit cooler out, but now it's all wet and muddy out, so we still can't go outside till it dries out lol......Oh my luck!!

I am over stressed, underpaid, and everything in between right now! Trying to catch up on bills so I can continue remodel work on the house.....I get paid through the state for some of my daycare kids, and it's a headache just trying to get paid in the first place. Sadly, if you are the only provider in the area that is registered and you have openings you MUST take the children. You cannot deny them a spot in your facility. So you go through the headaches of dealing with DHS too.

I just want to be thinner, healthier, and feel so much more confidence about myself.....Frustration is leaking out of my ears!!
  • emmalene1984
    emmalene1984 Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    i think suring the working week your only hope is to try and take the kids out to the park, if there is somewhere you can walk to and from, if you get a heart rate monitor it might help you see how many calories you are burning. i imagine you will be surprised at just how many youll burn pushing a pram or carrying an infant. i also recommend a console or dvd workout, i do ea sports active 2 on the ps3. doesnt need much room but would suggest waiting til you have one or two kids in bed first. and unless its torrential rain, try not to let a bit of cold weather stop you getting out with the kids, put coats and wellies on them and im sure they will love splashing around in some muddy puddles :-) good luck x
  • fairbanksmommy
    Options
    I agree with you on that one! I would much rather have the little side effects that come with Alli than continue to hold onto the fat that is consuming my life. I just wondered if anyone else had the similar side effects that I had, and what you did to alleviate them....My intention is not to get others into a fit about this subject, just to find an answer to my question.
  • odusgolp
    Options
    .....Frustration is leaking out of my ears!!

The answer is NOT to add to the leakage with fat from your *kitten*, love. Nor is spending money on a short-term fix like this when you are already behind on bills.

Now, I'm not much good at simply consoling. If that is what you need or want, I apologize in advance... simply ignore. I'm more of a "fixer." What can you do to make things better.

First, many of us can not exercise, or use a Wii while "working." It is my opinion that this also applies to you. You are their caretaker and they should have your attention while it is your job to do so. Are you able to get relief from your spouse at night to have 30 minutes for yourself? Can you do things such as "Simon says" to make jumping jacks fun? Jumping rope? Ideas like that to keep your heart-rate up while still playing?

Second, are you able to consider a part-time job such as direct sales? Tupperware, Tastefully Simple, Mary Kay... You know where I"m going with this. It could help? I know that's what I had to do as a single mom to make ends meet.

And hang in there!! Life can be very very frustrating and hard at times... but you too will get through it with flying colors :)
  • GW9stone
    GW9stone Posts: 10
    Options
    I nearly bought Alli too... but the anal leakage thing doesnt sound brilliant. I'm going to stick to walks for the next month or so and hope for the best and theyre a lot cheaper.
  • Nana_Booboo
    Nana_Booboo Posts: 501 Member
    Options
    Ali works not only physically but psychologically as well. When you take the medication first thing before a meal you tend to make healthier choices because you know if you eat a meal with a lot of fat you will have oily stool and this can become uncontrolled. So, it will remove the majority of the fat in what you eat to help your take in less fat however you have to do your part and keep your diet low in fat and cholesterol.

There isn't a magic pill out there. It's simple, you have to burn what you don't use.
  • fairbanksmommy
    Options

The answer is NOT to add to the leakage with fat from your *kitten*, love.

ROFL!!!! I just realized I said it like that!!!!! HAHAHAHAHA!!! Silly me!

First, many of us can not exercise, or use a Wii while "working." It is my opinion that this also applies to you. You are their caretaker and they should have your attention while it is your job to do so. Are you able to get relief from your spouse at night to have 30 minutes for yourself? Can you do things such as "Simon says" to make jumping jacks fun? Jumping rope? Ideas like that to keep your heart-rate up while still playing?

I do not have a live in significant other. It's just me and the kids. My oldest 3's father is not around at all, so no support there. About the only time I have for myself is when I go to the bathroom, and that's really questionable too :P

Second, are you able to consider a part-time job such as direct sales? Tupperware, Tastefully Simple, Mary Kay... You know where I"m going with this. It could help? I know that's what I had to do as a single mom to make ends meet.

I used to have a part time job. I used to do Passion Parties. However, I no longer have the family support to keep an eye on the kids when I did parties. I did make a decent amount of money from it though. Enough to help with some of the bills, but not enough to pay a babysitter at this point AND the bills. If that makes sense?

Thank you so much for everyone for your words of advice and support. I'm so glad I joined MFP! I know that I have that extra support I need to get to my goal!!
  • fairbanksmommy
    Options
    Ok, not sure if I did the quote thing right. I will eventually get the hang of it though! Sorry if it's a little confusing to read!
  • odusgolp
    Options
    OK, I just like you. You make me giggle :) We're both single mommies, so I get it a bit more now. I have some thoughts if you are open to chatting :) Gotta head out of work, so drop me an email if you want!
  • katkins3
    katkins3 Posts: 1,360 Member
    Options
    Yes, but decided fat is not evil and exercise is nice.
  • fairbanksmommy
    Options
    OK, I just like you. You make me giggle :) We're both single mommies, so I get it a bit more now. I have some thoughts if you are open to chatting :) Gotta head out of work, so drop me an email if you want!

Sure, I'll add you! Thank you!