Just booked my first 10k...HELP!

Options
2»

Replies

• jnducharme
    jnducharme Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    Hey Em:)
    This is an awesome goal!! Before August 10km was the most Id ever done either. Last August/September I used the runkeeper app to work up from 8km-20km. They have lots of great training programs where you can choose your distance goal and time line for when you want to race and your race time (how long you want the race to take). Most of them are similar progression as people me sooner above like 5k, 5k, 6k, day off then 5k,6k, and then the next week the longer run gets a little longer and some days are interval days where you do a mixture of low and high effort to help you get a faster pace. I really liked this app because it takes the guess work out of training and I found it really helped me. I'd run 10km maybe once or twice in my life before August and by the end of September I could do 20km.
  • Skipper111
    Skipper111 Posts: 392 Member
    Options
    jnducharme wrote: »
    This is an awesome goal!! Before August 10km was the most Id ever done either. Last August/September I used the runkeeper app to work up from 8km-20km. They have lots of great training programs where you can choose your distance goal and time line for when you want to race and your race time (how long you want the race to take). Most of them are similar progression as people me sooner above like 5k, 5k, 6k, day off then 5k,6k, and then the next week the longer run gets a little longer and some days are interval days where you do a mixture of low and high effort to help you get a faster pace. I really liked this app because it takes the guess work out of training and I found it really helped me. I'd run 10km maybe once or twice in my life before August and by the end of September I could do 20km.

So helpful and inspiring as always my dear!

I needed a target and a challenge (after last weeks mishap) so figured, booking it was the best way to go!

I would love to set a new goal after I reach 10km, though half marathon seems completely petrifying to me ;-)

Happy Friday!!!
  • jennypapage
    jennypapage Posts: 489 Member
    Options
    i used the c210k app, and started at week 9 (5k distance). i think it was 13 weeks total, so it only took me 5 weeks to finish it. From what i recall, people usually recommend increasing your distance only 10% per week.I only started adding 1km a week after i had reached the 10k and not before.
  • jnducharme
    jnducharme Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    I think booking a challenge like that is a super good way to motivate yourself and shift your focus to something positive that was my reason for doing it in the fall too. Believe me 20km sounded super far to me too! I found every time I ran a new longest distance (whether that was 10km or 11km or 13km or 15km) it always felt so much further even if it's only one more kilometre than the day before but then the second time you do it your body is like "oh this again? ok! I can do that!" and it gets easier pretty quickly. Once you reach 10km you can set a new goal, I think a half would be totally attainable for you after if you decided to go for it :)
  • ncfitbit
    ncfitbit Posts: 1,058 Member
    Options
    When I wanted to increase my distance from the 5K I joined my local fleet feet running group. They had a training plan for a local ten miler and it took all the guesswork out of it, plus getting to know people and looking forward to seeing them on the weekly long runs made it a lot more fun than doing it on my own. They also offer all kinds of informational sessions on injury prevention, stretching, strength workouts for runners, etc. It's really worth doing, IMO.

Good luck!
  • arunchick
    arunchick Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Hi there! Congrats on signing up for your first 10k! I've been running for about 7 years now. I've even taught a 10k clinic. I've run multiple races of varies distances. If you have any questions, please feel free to add me! I am by no means an expert but I have loads of experience...LOL!
  • BruinsGal_91
    BruinsGal_91 Posts: 1,400 Member
    Options
    Skipper111 wrote: »
    jnducharme wrote: »

So helpful and inspiring as always my dear!

I needed a target and a challenge (after last weeks mishap) so figured, booking it was the best way to go!

I would love to set a new goal after I reach 10km, though half marathon seems completely petrifying to me ;-)

Happy Friday!!!

Oh I bet you can do it. :)

My very first 10k was back in October 2009 and I loved it so much I immediately started training for a half-marathon which I ran in May 2010.

My last half was in 2011 and I slipped on some black ice a few weeks after the race (not even running, just walking to my car) and badly damaged my knee. I took time away from running anything over 5k, but in the past couple of years I'm back to running 10k a couple of times a week and doing a longer run on a weekend, and have signed up for a half in November. And I can't wait!
  • Skipper111
    Skipper111 Posts: 392 Member
    Options
    i used the c210k app, and started at week 9 (5k distance). i think it was 13 weeks total, so it only took me 5 weeks to finish it. From what i recall, people usually recommend increasing your distance only 10% per week.I only started adding 1km a week after i had reached the 10k and not before.

Nice tip thank you. I downloaded this and have done the first two days of week 9 :-)
  • jennypapage
    jennypapage Posts: 489 Member
    Options
    awesome. glad i could help :)
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Options
    From what i recall, people usually recommend increasing your distance only 10% per week.I only started adding 1km a week after i had reached the 10k and not before.

There are a couple of progression principles to apply:

No more than 10% increase in pace or distance per week.
    Long ideally 20-25% of cumulative weekly mileage.

That's where you end up in the realms of balancing number of runs with distance and objectives. Three runs per week does make it difficult to meaningfully adhere to those principles, four make it easier. A fifth run helps but is probably too much for now.

The other aspect is that for a race you don't need to have completed the distance in advance. For a 10K you could get away with 9K in training, for a Half you'll find many plans stop at 11miles and few marathon plans go beyond 18-20 miles.

There is a lot of value in back to backs, which effectively increase training stressors whilst limiting impact.