How do you prepare a Jicama ?

Options
JamieCroyle
JamieCroyle Posts: 109 Member
My mfp friends ,

I'm in need of ideas on how you prepare it ? How do you like yours ? I have a few websites for recipes What's your favorite ? Looking for new ideas from members on mfp

Replies

• patricia1179
    patricia1179 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I grew up eating Jicama! My mother would peel and cut up the jicama in large sticks and keep them in a water bath in the refrigerator. That's it!!! But I know you can use it in salads, but I've never tried that! Sorry I don't have any other ideas! We would just munch on it throughout the day!
  • JamieCroyle
    JamieCroyle Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    Thanks you 2 for your ideas
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,576 Member
    Options
    I don't think I've ever had them cooked, but they are delicious raw. I especially love them in a slaw either with green cabbage or beets. Or plain as veggie sticks or in a salad.
  • Queenmunchy
    Queenmunchy Posts: 3,380 Member
    Options
    I like them as fries
    http://inspiralized.com/spicy-spiralized-shoe-string-jicama-fries/
    hmecq6iwkrck.jpg

Or sliced thin they make an awesome mini taco shell
    ea27f217ksvk.jpg
  • Grammytryingtogetfit
    Grammytryingtogetfit Posts: 672 Member
    Options
    That looks YUMMY!!!!
  • Lavelle1980
    Lavelle1980 Posts: 367 Member
    Options
    I shred them with carrots and basil and make a Raw Jicama cole slaw.
  • lolly_t
    lolly_t Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    In mexico we eat them peeled and cut into either sticks or cubes with lime and some Tajín chili or cut up with cucumber pieces with some salt and lime - soooo yummy!
  • cathipa
    cathipa Posts: 2,991 Member
    Options
    I had it the other day for the first time. PF Changs uses it for mini taco shells. I'm going to try to recreate it at home.
  • ThatUserNameIsAllReadyTaken
    Options
    I peel it and cut it into french fry sized sticks. Sometimes I season it with chili-lime seasoning, sometimes I eat it plain. It's a favorite for my kids especially.
  • jnord8729
    jnord8729 Posts: 234 Member
    Options
    Raw jicama spears is really good when dipped in hummus!