Activity Level?

Options
So I am wondering how you are supposed to know what your usual activity level is? I picked lightly active. I work in an office though not so much a "desk" job. I am up and about throughout the day as well as do a lot of lifting off and on (depending on the season - somedays I could move 100+ bags of seed or chemical that weigh about 50 lbs each and somedays I may not move more than 10) and I don't quit moving at home until I go to bed at night.......or visit this site :) I started wearing a pedometer recently and was completely shocked to discover I average about 14,000 steps a day. My lowest so far has been just over 10,000 and my highest was just over 20,000. I couldn't believe it, especially after reading that most office jobs are "sedentary" and have trouble reaching 3,000 steps a day. So I figured I must be one level above sedentary and picked lightly active. Now I am wondering if I should bump it up one more to active? I know it will reduce my calorie intake.......and I am hungry lol. Any suggestions?

Replies

• LisaKyle11
    LisaKyle11 Posts: 662 Member
    Options
    if you INcrease your activity level here on MFP, you will actually get more calories to eat -- a plus! how about scheduled/regular workouts? are you able to fit those in? if so, then you can either choose to stay at slightly active or bump it up to active. are you a Mom too? if so...usually more time up and about. it's really up to you though. if you keep your setting lower, your calories are lower.
  • abcwhite10
    abcwhite10 Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    Well I thought it was the other way around and I would lose calories.....which now that I pay attention does sound backwards. My only "scheduled" workout is 3 runs a week. And yes I do have kids......3 of them ages 11, 8, and 2 1/2. Definitely affects how much time I can devote to working out. My oldest has recently decided she wants to join me running and my 8 yo is expressing some interest in it too. Just wasn't sure what qualifies as active I guess and am worried about makig it harder for myself to lose weight. Although I seem to be only maintaining now.......so frustrating!
  • lennykat
    lennykat Posts: 89
    Options
    Would like to know the answer to this as well. I'm a SAHM that works out 5 days a week for over an hour but not more than 2. I have my level at sedentary because, like yesterday, I took the kids (11 and 7) to the pool (yes school is out in GA already and its 97degrees!) and read my book while they swam. Today, I may vacum and clean bathrooms tomorrow we might have movie day. It just differs so much from day to day that I don't know what to set my activity level to. Any advice would be helpful because I'm looking for the key as to WHY I don't feel like I've made any progress in the last month (I'm not weighing).

Help!!!: :grumble:
  • abcwhite10
    abcwhite10 Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    I know! I decided to up my activity level setting and therefore my calorie intake a little bit. See how it goes anyways.
  • LisaKyle11
    LisaKyle11 Posts: 662 Member
    Options
    I know! I decided to up my activity level setting and therefore my calorie intake a little bit. See how it goes anyways.

i would still say that almost all SAHMs are AT LEAST Lightly Active. that is where mine is set (i am a SAHM of 4)...and some days i think it's too LOW. not that i eat as much as i am allotted, just that activity-level wise, i know i am pretty darn active. good luck everybody!
  • radgurl08
    radgurl08 Posts: 14
    Options
    I found this off a scientific paper on health:

"<5000 steps/day may be used as a ‘sedentary lifestyle index’; (ii) 5000–7499 steps/day is typical of daily activity excluding sports/exercise and might be considered ‘low active’; (iii) 7500–9999 likely includes some volitional activities (and/or elevated occupational activity demands) and might be considered ‘somewhat active’; and (iv) 10 000 steps/day indicates the point that should be used to classify individuals as ‘active’. Individuals who take >12 500 steps/day are likely to be classified as ‘highly active’."